Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Re-wire 6th tailights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

It would be cool to do this and then add the sequential feature. So that when you turn your turn signal on it fires bottom, then top, bottom, then top, bottom, then top, you get the idea.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
It would be cool to do this and then add the sequential feature. So that when you turn your turn signal on it fires bottom, then top, bottom, then top, bottom, then top, you get the idea.
That would be really cool, a little complicated but it might not be that hard haha. Im an electrical engineering student and in my digital logic class we've learned about logic gates and inverters an inverter takes a high input voltage and switches it to a zero volt output and a zero volt inout to a high output(in this case the voltage required to turn on the bulb) so if you had the turnsignal wire running to the tail light split in two to each of the lights and an inverter between the split and one of the lights the sequential feature would be acheived. i actually really want to try this now haha

Old 03-24-2011, 02:24 PM

This is the logic circuit for what i described above

Attached Thumbnails Re-wire 6th tailights-turn-signal-circuit.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM

you could haha. my idea definitley wouldnt cost 50$ though but it also requires a knowledge of wiring and circuits. my idea would also result in more of an alternating light pattern like top,bottom,top,bottom where as those would result in top,bottom,off,top,bottom,off

Old 05-22-2011, 01:46 PM

i finally accomplished this mod. i found two 3 wire tailight sockets my dad had laying around his shop. one has a plymouth emblem on it and the other a ford haha but they work just fine and it looks really good when my running lights are on. it actually was very easy to do if any one wants to do it let me know i could make a detailed description. sadly i cant post any pictures except of the completed wiring.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I have an 2003 with LED tail lights I love the way they work on 2000-2005 I hate how they work on 2006-2007

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Hey clucia how'd you wire these? Any diagrams you might be able to post? I'm really interested in doing this!

Thanks!
Tyler

Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

tyler read the whole thing through before you start and please if you have any questions ask them before you start i do not want to be held responsible for any accidental damages.
you will need
2 - 3 wire bulb sockets, just like the bottom sockets in the tailights
2 - 3057 bulbs
6 wire connectors
a couple feet of extra wire
wire cutters/crimpers/strippers
a razor blade

start by removing the tailight the hooks that hold the cargo net on in the trunk unscrew then pull back the carpet and there are two more plastic screws just unscrew them and pull out and unplug the light.

you will see 3 different sockets in the back of the tailight the two obvious ones and one little one in the corner, this is the one you will be splicing into for the top running light.

now is when you want to figure out how to get the new socket to fit you'll need to cut one of the tabs off of the bulb socket in order for it to fit into the tailight and be able to lock in this takes a little bit of fiddling to get it just right.

once youve done that your gonna cut the top turn signal socket off completely leaving as much wire as you need in oder to splice the new socket in and cut the positive wire that runs two the little light in the bottom corner of the tailight leaving as much wire hanging off as possible from the light and from the plug you will need to connect to both of these the positive wire should be black with a white stripe and the negative should just be black leave the negative one alone.

now take the ground wire from your new socket which should be plain black and connect it to the ground that went from the plug to the original bulb socket it is also black. then connect one of the positive wires from the new socket to the positive wire coming from the plug that went to the original socket.

now youre gonna need your extra wire if your wires are two short to reach. you need to connect the other positive wire from your new socket to the positve wire that you cut on the little corner light and to the wire that came from the plug to it so you will be connecting three wires

and thats really it you just need to tape everything up put your new bulbs in and put the tailight back in. repeat the steps exactly for the other light and youre good to go let me know if theres anything you need me to clarify on. sorry i couldnt post any pictures i should have taken pictures while i was working on it. you can check out the finished product in the pictures in my garage.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the write up!

Quick Reply: Re-wire 6th tailights