Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Question bout painting slp Grille

Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mrcrowley5
Had another question about that double sided 3m tape. I already bought it, but will it be durable enough to hold up and withstand rain/snow/ice etc..? Is it pretty durable?
My recommendation is to apply it as the directions say. Prep the surface with isopropyl alcohol, and make sure it's above the recommended temperature. If that is done, it should last for quite some time. I installed my Roof Rails and SLP grille last year with 3M double sided tape, commonly found at most auto parts stores. I've had the grille on for probably 15k miles, it has seen rain/snow etc. and has held up great.

Here's some information in which I've found directly from 3M regarding their Super Strong tape.

3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape holds securely through any road or weather condition encountered by your vehicle.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zjerry
My tony stewart grille & my roof rails are held on by 3m double sided tape
no problems been over a year ..
Ok cool, That gives me piece of mind ha thanks for the info bro, cant wait to finally put it on. Monte's gonna look great afterwards. It's so crazy how a little piece of plastic can make your front end go from "ok" to full blown beast!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
My recommendation is to apply it as the directions say. Prep the surface with isopropyl alcohol, and make sure it's above the recommended temperature. If that is done, it should last for quite some time. I installed my Roof Rails and SLP grille last year with 3M double sided tape, commonly found at most auto parts stores. I've had the grille on for probably 15k miles, it has seen rain/snow etc. and has held up great.

Here's some information in which I've found directly from 3M regarding their Super Strong tape.

3M Super Strong Automotive Attachment Tape holds securely through any road or weather condition encountered by your vehicle.
Awesome!! It just seems crazy that "tape" will hold a pice of plastic on the fringe of your car. But if it works it works! Yup, I'll prep it up nice before I attach it. I'm a little nervous about spraying the underneath black,(where it can be seen thru the grill) considering I have a white monte. I'm debating about maybe vinyl or something. I might check auto zone or O'Reillys.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Awesome!! It just seems crazy that "tape" will hold a pice of plastic on the fringe of your car. But if it works it works! Yup, I'll prep it up nice before I attach it. I'm a little nervous about spraying the underneath black,(where it can be seen thru the grill) considering I have a white monte. I'm debating about maybe vinyl or something. I might check auto zone or O'Reillys.
My Monte is white too... I just applied black vinyl tape in behind it and it's been great for the last 2+ years... Post a pic here of your Monte if you can, some of us are not big facebook users...

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Vinyl it is!! Yea I gotta figure this forum out! I thought I put a pic as my signature but apparently not. I also thought i posted a couple pucs in "My Garage" but maybe i didnt do that either. iFail.. I will try and get one up on here

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Vinyl it is!! Yea I gotta figure this forum out! I thought I put a pic as my signature but apparently not. I also thought i posted a couple pucs in "My Garage" but maybe i didnt do that either. iFail.. I will try and get one up on here
My bad... There is one pic in your sig... By the way welcome to the forum...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

I found this pic in your garage .. Looks Nice..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome bro! And I appreciate that Jerry, my monte is pretty much a virgin to mods, but I've been getting a few ideas from the members on this forum. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I love the write ups on here. It helps out tons!

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Wink

Turned out pretty good thanks guys! You can see some over spray hit under the hood to the right faintly. I sanded it off tho hehe

Attached Thumbnails Question bout painting slp Grille-finished-grille.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Looking Good with the SLP Grille..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Question bout painting slp Grille