Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Question bout painting slp Grille (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/question-bout-painting-slp-grille-39283/)

Mrcrowley5 10-07-2012 03:17 PM

Question bout painting slp Grille

I've been reading the posts of the slp grilles and this will be the first mod I will do. I bought the grille of Ebay for around $60 and have it masked up ready for paint. I'm painting outline border white to match my monte. I've never painted before so I would like some info on how to start. I assume primer will be on? Im def a noob, and I could google it, but id rather have you guys let me know as you know exactly what I am doing. Questions I have are:

Do I sand at all like they say to do when applying vht tint to tail-lights?

Primer on before paint? If so how many coats?

How many coats of paint should I put on? I assume coat it once, wait til it drys, and do another etc.. Or let the 1 coat dry, put clear coat on, then put on another layer of paint and repeat? Or would that just be retarded...?

Thats all I have for now, i'm going to the auto store to get some white matching spray paint and that 3m tape. Thanks in advance guys! Sean

MillerMonteSS 10-07-2012 03:32 PM

Nothing to do with your post...

Mr. Crowley? Like from Supernatural? King of Hell? Sweet name...

Mrcrowley5 10-07-2012 03:36 PM

Haha Well I used to be obsessed with Randy Rhoads(Ozzy guitarist) so I made that my email address 15 years ago.. Kinda funny because my girl has a cat named Aliester. I think my email definitely got me points

Monroe 10-08-2012 04:04 PM

Im not sure if you sand? Its plastic so my guess is no. And as for primer, thats your call. But if its going to be part of the car, i personally would use primer. Primer is almost NEVER a bad thing to use. And for paint, i would suggest going to your local auto parts store and picking up some Duplicolor or PlastiKote exact match spray paint. Then just apply coats until all is covered and resembles the paint color of your car. Then just give it 2-3 coats of clear coat to give it that shine! :thumbsup:

Mrcrowley5 10-08-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks a bunch I appreciate you letting me know what to do! I wasn't doing anything until I heard back from someone on here haha I'm going to get the stuff now :-)

red04montels 10-09-2012 09:30 AM

you don't need to sand or prime... adhesion promoter and paint will do you fine :thumbsup:

Mrcrowley5 10-09-2012 12:27 PM

I primed, did 4 coats of paint, and I believe 3 coats of clear coat last night. It was looking pretty good, so I'll see how it looks when I get off work. Thanks for all the help and I'll try and post pictures. I'm still learning how to do all this stuff on the forum hehe

Mrcrowley5 10-10-2012 07:08 PM

Facebook

I don't know if that link will show up but I'll try and post a pic.
Had another question about that double sided 3m tape. I already bought it, but will it be durable enough to hold up and withstand rain/snow/ice etc..? Is it pretty durable?

Mrcrowley5 10-10-2012 07:09 PM

Seems like that link works :-)

zjerry 10-10-2012 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mrcrowley5 (Post 500621)
Had another question about that double sided 3m tape. I already bought it, but will it be durable enough to hold up and withstand rain/snow/ice etc..? Is it pretty durable?

My tony stewart grille & my roof rails are held on by 3m double sided tape
no problems been over a year ..