Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Protecting a deep scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 AM
1 Year Member
Default Protecting a deep scratch?

So a piece of trash flew up from the road and put some nasty scratches on my door panel. I took it to a two body shops and got estimates of over $750 because they are basically repainting the whole door and fading into the fender instead of a not perfect but okay looking sort of repair.

I don't really want to try and do it myself because I think the results would look worse then the scratches do. I do need to protect it though because one of the scratches appears to be down to metal, and I don't want my door panel rusting.

There are 3 scratches maybe 2-3 inches long but they are not thin like a keying mark. They are maybe 1/8 inches wide at the widest part. The part that goes to the metal is quite thin though.

Is there anything I can do that will either leave the scratches visible but keep the metal protected or a way to cover them up DIY that is hard to make look bad? The car is berry metallic so finding that particular color is also difficult no auto stores carry it.