Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Project: Sharon - Full Topic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 PM
Arrow Project: Sharon - Full Topic

Hello community, I am going to start using my cigarette money (because i do NOT smoke whatsoever) which is roughly $3300 not including tax so what im going to do is to USE that money each year to better improve my car. now this is where you all come in; Guide me, help me, help make my car an amazing car. what do you guys recommend: Tail Lights, Head Lights, Body Kit(maybe), Exhaust system, engine improvements, interior improvements.

this is my car: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...y-monte-56767/

this is the upgrades that i think are good for it BUT I NEED CONFIRMATION!

Obviously this;
Remin® - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Factory Style Rear Spoiler

Headlights;
Spyder® HD-JH-CMC00-AM-BK (9023187) - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Black Euro Headlights

Taillights;
IPCW® LEDT-344CB - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Black LED Tail Lights

This is possibly the most important advice here - Exhaust System;
MagnaFlow® 16729 - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Street Series Stainless Steel Cat-Back Exhaust System (Dual Split Rear Exit)

Carbon Navy Blue Dash Upgrade;
Remin® - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 Full Dash Kit

16" Remanufactured 5 Spokes Chrome Factory Alloy Wheel;
Replace® - Chevy Monte Carlo 2002 16" Remanufactured 5 Spokes Factory Alloy Wheel

---------------------------

Now, if there are better possibly cheaper parts instead of the links that i posted above PLEASE PLEASE recommend away!.

Happy Reading!

Old 07-31-2016, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Erik.

Saw your post from the other day announcing your awesome find....congrats! You got a really great car for an outstanding price.

My advice is iron out and improve on the mechanical issues first. Your car does have low miles, but there are some factory design weaknesses that need improvements. If you plan on keeping Sharon for a long time it's better to act on those now than wait for a problem later. As few miles as your car has I doubt any of these issues have been addressed. I'm talking about things like the lower intake manifold gaskets, upper intake manifold, cabin air filter (air deflector leak). Keep in mind, 110K is about where things start wearing out. Maybe some of those things have been done, but if not it's time for a major tune-up, i.e...plugs & wires, hoses, hazard switch, ignition switch, transmission service, coolant flush and change, battery, suspension parts like sway bar links, brakes, power steering and brake fuid change....etc.

Here's a link to recommended maintence at 100K: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/

Here's a link to common problems:https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lutions-30154/

Accessories and mods are great for looks and added power, but if it's by the side of the road or on the back of a tow truck they're worthless.

As for the black LED headlights and tail lights, they look cool, but I've heard they dim the brightness considerably. Safety first.

OK, I'm done sounding like your Father...Lol.
It's your car, do whatever the heck you want.

Enjoy!!!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Excellent advice from plumbob there.

About the exhaust, though: if I had a 6th- or 7th-gen, instead of a cat-back exhaust, I'd get a new downpipe with the u-bend delete first, maybe even with a high-flow catcon included. ZZP seems to be the best source for that part. It will eliminate a built-in exhaust flow obstacle GM so kindly bestowed on every later-model W-body car.

I like the 6th-gens that have the lower body skirt/ground effects section in silver, do you? It'd be another nice style touch, simple and effective, and would go well with your MC's dark blue.

Also, if the window tint laws in your state are reasonable, you could have your side & rear windows tinted for more privacy and sun-damage reduction. If you can get 35% tint all around, it'll provide a great balance between visibility looking out (even at night) and darkness looking in, without going too dark either way. The website tintcenter.com has a state-by-state section on car window tint law.

Last edited by Sidestreet; 08-02-2016 at 08:36 AM. Reason: lil' typo
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Ground effects do look great on these cars. If I were doing strictly cosmetic upgrades that'd be my first goal, after the spoiler. Good luck finding them for a reasonable amount, GM parts direct is asking $475 for just the front lip. If you can find one on eBay I would put a set of those on, definitely.

LED dash upgrade is another good one. If you are good with soldering this is a relatively easy one to do. Pop some white LEDs in there!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

It all depends what you want exactly. We all have different tastes when modding. I do agree with a zzp downpipe though. Also possibly a top swap for additional hp

Old 08-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sidestreet
I like the 6th-gens that have the lower body skirt/ground effects section in silver, do you? It'd be another nice style touch, simple and effective, and would go well with your MC's dark blue.
Can you please link me this? so i can price it out i actually cannot find this anywhere.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:58 PM

I don't see them at any of the GM hardware sites anymore but brand new they were asking at least $1000 for the whole set. Best bet is to hope somebody is selling them on here or eBay. Junkyards take the ground effects off when they pick up them up to put them in the yard.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onion39
I don't see them at any of the GM hardware sites anymore but brand new they were asking at least $1000 for the whole set. Best bet is to hope somebody is selling them on here or eBay. Junkyards take the ground effects off when they pick up them up to put them in the yard.
Duraflex® - Chevy Monte Carlo LS / SS 2002-2003 Racer Style Fiberglass Body Kit

is this technically the kit just called Duraflex?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:50 AM

3800 Parts L36 Supercharger Kit

also could the engine, (3800 Series II the one i have) can it handle this supercharger without killing anything?

Old 08-05-2016, 08:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Erik Johnson
3800 Parts L36 Supercharger Kit

also could the engine, (3800 Series II the one i have) can it handle this supercharger without killing anything?
the engine will handle it just fine. the trans is hit and miss but on a basic top swap should be okay for a while.

do not buy that kit though! zzp makes great stuff but this kit is not worth it. you can buy a top end of a factory supercharged 3800 and swap it right on for around $400 and have the same results as zzp kit. plus the zzp kit uses special fuel rails and pulleys so its hard to interchange any parts with that kit. but if you did the top swap from a factory car all the aftermarket parts would work.

google "top swap" for more info on this.