Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

PFYC ss hood issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Default PFYC ss hood issues

Hey everyone, well to start the story i ordered a fiberglass hood from PFYC a little over a year ago, the car was in a minor collision and the hood had to be replaced, so that ended up covering some of the costs, mostly prep and paint. after the hood was finished the car sat for 12 months till i got the motor all done, and the night before i got it on the road, all the paint started to bubble, little tiny bubbles everywhere on the hood. i immidiantly contacted PFYC with the issue, they responded it was in the prep work that was done a year ago, and that the gel coat must be having a reaction. then they asked for the prep application, which was a few coats of primer, blocking, some light filling, water base paint and clear.and still they insist its in the prep work. But clearly when you pop open on of these bubbles you can see a rather large pin hole in through the gel coat and into the fiberglass. I offered to cut up the hood and ship it back for a refund, but they said the manufacturer is a professional company and makes parts for corvettes, i replyed with this being a hood that was rushed out the door, or something wasnt mixed right.
So after a month nothing was settled and i was going to sand down the hood myself and repaint it myself, as i couldnt find any paint shop that wanted to touch the hood. fast forward to yesterday, i pop my hood and theres a huge amount of pressure as it jumps up, i dont think anything of it, and then i notice my latch hood is half broken WTF? cheap rusting metal, then i notice the top and bottom layers of the hood are now separating, jesus F'in christ! then, this when you go to set the hood down:

this is all ontop of the issue that this thing fits like ****. which i was willing to ignore till this thing simply starts falling apart:

I sent a email to the company again, asking if this issue is due to the prep work as well.
I dont know how this is going to pan out, i simply want my money back, and get a steel hood to put on my car, odviously i'll have to paint it aswell. What i dont understand is why my 1999 WS6 trans am GM hood simply doesnt have one defect on it, and its got over 12 years of any weather, sun ext on it.

I dont know whats going to happen now, but i feel really doubtfull that they are going to do anything about this. Clearly this is the worst manufactured fiberglass part i have ever seen. and i've seen my fair share in my day.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM

In all honesty - the PFYC version of this hood is crap. If you spend the extra money to buy from MPD they outline their hood with metal to make sure it holds its shape and doesn't get warped as fiberglass can do (which is the problem you're having).

Honestly, don't expect your money back from them because they'll probably blame you and say you slammed the hood or something and you screwed it up.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM

IIRC i got a good reveiw for there hoods way back when on this forum. i'm with holding other information about them till i get a reply back that i want to hear, other wise i'm putting this on ever single forum for every single vehicle that they offer parts for. and everyone can make up there own minds of what to buy, and who to avoid.

Last edited by bob442; 05-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM

good luck with this. i hope you get your money back. i doubt highly that you will though. i too had a issue with a fiberglass company, and was pretty much told to go **** myself (in nicer words) after receiving multiple broken hoods over a 10mth period, and refusing to pay a 15% restocking fee. long story short i never did get my hood in unbroken condition, or my money back. they still get tons of business, are loved by f-body owners, and forum goers everywhere.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM

Bummer luck man! would be a beautiful hood if you ddint have those problems.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

this sucks man.

if you're looking for a new hood I would look into MPD1 hoods, they're more steel than fiberglass and tend to fit better.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 PM

aw that blows! Sorry to see

Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've read one or two complaints about the PFYC hood and it made everyone gun shy to ever buy one. But this scenario REALLY makes me wonder, it has fitment issues, sounds like problems beneath the gel coat, structure problems. OUCH!
Some people complain because it's an ALL fiberglass hood. I think that is a crap complaint (there are many vendors that make 100% fiberglass hoods and other body panels with zero issues), but how it's constructed sounds like the bigger issue.

It stinks how long ago the hood was purchased. I hope you can get some resolution out of this issue.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Raw deal you got man raw deal in deed. My hood is PFYC hood as well no issues like the ones you are having, fit isint perfect but that comes with the territory of aftermarket parts. Are you trying to resolve this issue with PFYC? because if so call the company who manufacters the hood and don't take no for answer also leave bad reviews whenever you can especially on PFYC because if I would have seen this before I bought mine there is no way I would've made that purchase.
Hopefully you get some resolution because that is terrible business

Old 05-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Ive had mine on for maybe 5 years and only now am I starting to see some of those issues. The prep and paint work was good awful. and so far iv found one person that will take a chance on working on it.

Quick Reply: PFYC ss hood issues