Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting Spoiler, Roof Rails, & SLP Grille

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Painting Spoiler, Roof Rails, & SLP Grille

Hey guys, for a year now I have had a 7th gen spoiler, roof rails, and an upper SLP grille waiting to be painted and installed. The 7th gen spoiler is grey right now, and I want to have it match the Competition Yellow on my car exactly. The roof rails are sparkly-maroon right now, and they are going to be glossy black (yay/nay?). I want to paint the outer edge of the grille to match the Competition Yellow and the interior part glossy black.

My dilemma is this: to have a paint shop do it simply too expensive. They ask like $400 or $500! I want to do this myself and save money. How should I go about this process....?

Old 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM

I say paint that stuff yourself if you are pretty steady with a paint gun. i would not pay someone that much to piant those litttle things! I painted my whole car with rattle can rust-o-lineum paint. I still got more coats to do, but if you take your time and be attentive, you will come out just fine. i think that gloss black will be cool for both the spoiler and the grill. i will look on the vin for the paint code, which is at the bottom in the vin that is in the door. I will have a pint shop make the paint and then you can buy a gun and go crazy. i would just buy some rattle can black (gloss) paint which will do just as well as what they have in the paint shop. I have painted parts and my whole car with rattle can a million times and have had good reviews. Spo i say just take the parts off the car and go for it!!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 PM

Can most paint shops make color match paint like that for a customer?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In all honesty, the price the shops quoted for all that is not bad. But I understand the cost issue.

FYI - If you are getting rid of a surf spoiler to go to the 7th gen vertical spoiler, you will need paint work done to the top of the trunk lid. The surf rubs the lid and when you lift it off, there will be damaged paint the new 7th gen vert spoiler will not cover. Just a heads up. I know Chibi has pics on MCF of that damage somewhere.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
In all honesty, the price the shops quoted for all that is not bad. But I understand the cost issue.

FYI - If you are getting rid of a surf spoiler to go to the 7th gen vertical spoiler, you will need paint work done to the top of the trunk lid. The surf rubs the lid and when you lift it off, there will be damaged paint the new 7th gen vert spoiler will not cover. Just a heads up. I know Chibi has pics on MCF of that damage somewhere.
You gave to repaint the whole trunk lid? Or just part of it? Is there a way of covering it up without painting it? I was gonna hopefully put my 7th gen spoiler on this weekend

Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by TMoney
You gave to repaint the whole trunk lid? Or just part of it? Is there a way of covering it up without painting it? I was gonna hopefully put my 7th gen spoiler on this weekend
Just the top of the trunk lid needs paint work. The face with the key hole and badging can be left alone. I don't know of any way to cover the damage. I found pics I had of Chibi's car when he did the swap and attached them to this post.

When I did the surf-to-7th gen vert spoiler swap. I too had the same issue. I honest;y don't remember what I paid but I had the top of my trunk lid and the spoiler both painted to match my car.

Attached Thumbnails Painting Spoiler, Roof Rails, & SLP Grille-img00383.jpg   Painting Spoiler, Roof Rails, & SLP Grille-img00384.jpg  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Just the top of the trunk lid needs paint work. The face with the key hole and badging can be left alone. I don't know of any way to cover the damage. I found pics I had of Chibi's car when he did the swap and attached them to this post.

When I did the surf-to-7th gen vert spoiler swap. I too had the same issue. I honest;y don't remember what I paid but I had the top of my trunk lid and the spoiler both painted to match my car.
Yea thats what I figured. Was hoping there was a way around it but I guess not. I happened to have a bunch of stripe about 2 inches thick that is literally the EXACT same color as my car (have no idea why I have it though ), and was maybe just gonna cover the showing damage with the stripe. Not sure I should at least attempt that or just get the trunk re done (which I was hoping to avoid, to keep the original paint on the car)

Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 AM

I'll just repaint the trunk lid myself because it'll be damaged as we've discovered.

So I can go to a shop, have them mix me some yellow, and use a spray gun...?

Sanding the old paint off of the spoiler and roof rails? How's that gonna work?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I'll just repaint the trunk lid myself because it'll be damaged as we've discovered.

So I can go to a shop, have them mix me some yellow, and use a spray gun...?

Sanding the old paint off of the spoiler and roof rails? How's that gonna work?
Yep, you can go to a paint shop or maybe even a paint store of any type I suppose and have them mix up the paint you need and then you can spray it yourself. That is what I heard, some paint cans can come real close, as long as it is somewhat close to the paint code on the vin.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

In all honesty, you may not like your own work and then wind up saving up to pay for it to be done anyway.

$450 to paint everything is a great deal in my eyes. Although that quote might be without redoing the upper part of the trunk-lid.

You figure if they are shooting yellow AND black, that's 2 colors mixed and painted. Good price from them

Name:  Sanded_Trunk.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  Covered.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  Trunk_Painted.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  55.8 KB

Quick Reply: Painting Spoiler, Roof Rails, & SLP Grille