Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painting badges...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Question Painting badges...

Hey guys! So as some of know I was wanting to get a silver or white "monte carlo" badge to replace the black one on my trunk. well i got one. Got it on ebay for a cheap price brand new so I got it. It said it was grey and looked light in the pic but once i got it it turned out to be a dark grey soo i gotta repaint the thing to match the bottom of my car which i think is galaxy silver.

So here's the thing, I don't know what paint to use or how to go about doing it. Can I use the touch-up paint spray cans they sell at O'Reilly's or do I have to use a "real" kind of paint? Do I have to sand paper it down and if I do what kind should I use? And how many coats should I put on it? And would it be wise to spray clear coat on it once it's done being painted.

If y'all could help I would highly appreciate it bcuz I plan on putting the badge on this coming up weekend along with the Intimidator badge. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:50 PM

"Can I use the touch-up paint spray cans they sell at O'Reilly's or do I have to use a "real" kind of paint?"

You can but need to apply in coats. Take your time while do it too and the longer you allow the paint to dry between coats the better. Use Dupli-color dsgm 340 or , I think, 501(I used the first one for interior pieces but you shouldn't have any problems as long as you apply enough coats and then a few coats of clear). I usually apply 3-5 coats for interior, 5-7 exterior and then a bucket load of clear coat (like 4-5 coats) but that's just my preference and some will disagree!

"Do I have to sand paper it down and if I do what kind should I use?"

I would suggest cleaning the part with soap and water, rinse and dry well, and go to town. If the part has been waxed you may need to use 1000-1500 grit sandpaper, but just lightly and then rinse, dry and go to town.

"And would it be wise to spray clear coat on it once it's done being painted."

Read above!

Last edited by Wilco; 11-29-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:52 PM

Ha! your project is on the way!
Also, did you get the PM i sent ya, about the Dale Headrests on Ebay?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Thanks montyss02!

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Ha! your project is on the way!
Also, did you get the PM i sent ya, about the Dale Headrests on Ebay?
ha yeah i know right! I'm so excited! I already got three things crossed off the list =D Just gotta do one thing at a time =] and yes I did sorry i forgot to reply back but yeah that would be amazing but i dont have the money right now to get it =[ i gotta buy a car cover for my baby bcuz i gotta leave her in florida for like 2 1/2 weeks while i'm in missouri for christmas break. if i have any extra money left over after i get all of that taken care of and all and its still for sale i'll most def be getting it!