Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Painted brake calipers ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Painted brake calipers ...

Thinking of using a product like this to paint the stock calipers on a 2003 SS.

Amazon.com: High Temperature High Gloss Self Leveling Brush On Red G2 Brake Caliper Paint System Kit: Automotive

My main question is: Is there enough materials (mainly paint, epoxy) in one kit to sufficiently cover all four calipers? I can get my mitts on plenty of prep chemicals, etc., but the paint, etc., seems to be pretty special stuff.

Also, ... I know it is my choice, but I would love a few, or a bunch, of you to throw me some ideas of what colors you might paint, or have painted, yours. I will say I am not a fan of red, but I can sit back and imagine it might might not look too bad behind the factory SS rims ... with the Superior Blue body color ... I don't know. I suppose I could go silver, black, red, ... I think yellow is out of the question, & I doubt I would be able to find a blue that would even come close to matching. Now I would go and buy a quart of superior blue paint in a heartbeat if it was possible to use it along with something else to get the same long-wearing effect as these kits are apparently created to do ...

Eh, if anyone gets a few minutes and want to throw their collective idea(s) in ...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

One can should do all four (did for me) I went with red. But looks like blue or red would work for you. the red would go with your SS badge and of course the blue with your car color. I like eaither. Exact match to your blue is not nessary in my opion. My red is not an exact match

Last edited by Tadcaster; 12-08-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used that kit in the summer. PREP WORK is key on these. You will NEED NEED NEED a drill with a wire brush attachment. Take your time and just work on cleaning them up first. I jacked up my car and took all 4 wheels off and just went all around with the drill. Probably took me 2 hours just to get everything as clean as I wanted them to be.

Then you spray it all down with the included brake cleaner.

Then you do the mix and start painting. There is PLENTY of paint to do all 4 with like 3 coats of paint. I still have a bunch left over. The first coat WILL look pretty crappy, don't worry about that. The second coat will even it out and then it will dry really nicely.

Let it dry at least 24 hours before you drive. I have a tiny bit of bubbling because I missed a few spots with the wire wheel I think.

Here's how they looked a few months later. A little dusty (and my phone flash makes it look orange) but they held up pretty nice.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mine are yellow, i ended up removing my calipers to do it

Old 12-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Black or Silver calipers look kinda plain IMO. I like to see a bright color on them. That kit is what a lot of members have used. I used Dupli-color caliper paint in a spray can. It worked good but you have to tape everything off to avoid over spray. The prep is the most important step like Mike said, so take your time and the finished product will look great. Post some pics when you finish.
Painted brake calipers ...-img_1415.jpg

Last edited by lougreen03; 12-08-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I plan to do red/black or red/silver with my calipers in hopefully the near future. Still undecided, but I'm in a similiar situation with a blue car. I've put red accessories on it (like rear trailing arms and poly bushings) as red goes with the SS badging (and people who don't know any better may even think it's part of the SS package).

Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM

i just used regular spray can paint, and did mine in blue, and it is holding up alright, and i only used on can....but i wont recommend it, i did not go through all the prep wprk to do it, just a spur of the moment thing. lol

Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Mines painted with normal automotive paint i mixed, dont really need high temp they dont get hot as u think they would

Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i powder coat mine. red on the calipers and black brackets. wait til you see it, it's awesome looking some local guys from the ls1tech doing mine. it should be done maybe tomorrow. they weld up the small like holes on the sides of the calipers (like you see on 03jgmonte) shave them smooth, and add trans am decals. the back are shave and smooth out like the front. it's hard to describe but i have pics of before and after will post when i get it.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Powder coat finish will last longer and, depending on the per-treatment and attention to detail by the preparer, will look 10x better. It's a little more but the results are worth it.

Quick Reply: Painted brake calipers ...