Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Niteshades, or tint film?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Niteshades, or tint film?

Hello everyone!

I was looking into tinting my tail lights here really soon and I was wondering what you guys think would be best.

VHT Niteshades taillight spray, or RVinyl taillight tint film?

Pros & Cons:

VHT Niteshades:
Pros
-cheap
-easy to apply if i can get the light off
-looks awesome
Cons
-permanant

RVinyl tint film:
Pros
-removeable if cops get on my case
Cons
-hard(ish) to apply
-afraid it might come off in the car wash

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How are the cops in your area? have you considered just getting covers? I loved my tails when they were tinted with nightshade, you just have to buff them to make them look shiny.

i would say it depends on the cops in your city.

the vinyl film is a pain to get on right without bubbles and creases because of the curves. But if you can do it you should be good.

Automatic car washes are bad for your paint so if you wash on your own you can always just take the tails off with the vinyl while you wash it

Old 12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

I don't think the cops are too strict about that around here. If I was to get pulled over for it, is there anyway to take the Niteshades off? I think it would be easier to just take the whole light assembly off, tape it up, and spray it up a few times. I did think about the curves and I was hoping you would bring that up because now I'm not the only one who has thought of it.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member

Nightshade VHT is what i did and it looks great

Old 12-03-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member

you really dont even have to tape it off. you can get it off if you buff it enough there was also another method with some sort of liquid but i cant remember it

Old 12-04-2010, 09:04 AM

I also say niteshades- don't bother trying to spray it on the car, the taillights come off super easy, and then there is no need to mask anything.

Tinting something like a slightly curved window is tough enough- for someone who isn't a pro, getting vinyl to conform to the curves would be a nightmare IMO.

One thing I don't like about niteshades is that mine dried pretty rough- even though I sprayed the last coat on pretty wet. I just picked up a small can of aerosol automotive clear coat from autozone and sprayed that over the top. I was able to spray that on pretty heavy/wet on the last coat and it flowed out just as smooth and shiny as the rest of the car's paint, even without sanding/buffing it- and made it look 10x better than the raw niteshades. Plus, then the actual tint layer is protected from scratching too.

As far as removal if you get pulled over- your best bet would be just to sell/trade your lights to someone with stock ones who doesn't want to bother tinting their own.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I also say niteshades- don't bother trying to spray it on the car, the taillights come off super easy, and then there is no need to mask anything.

Tinting something like a slightly curved window is tough enough- for someone who isn't a pro, getting vinyl to conform to the curves would be a nightmare IMO.

One thing I don't like about niteshades is that mine dried pretty rough- even though I sprayed the last coat on pretty wet. I just picked up a small can of aerosol automotive clear coat from autozone and sprayed that over the top. I was able to spray that on pretty heavy/wet on the last coat and it flowed out just as smooth and shiny as the rest of the car's paint, even without sanding/buffing it- and made it look 10x better than the raw niteshades. Plus, then the actual tint layer is protected from scratching too.

As far as removal if you get pulled over- your best bet would be just to sell/trade your lights to someone with stock ones who doesn't want to bother tinting their own.
Not only does the clear prevent them from scratching but it also prevents them from fading in the future

Old 12-04-2010, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys! Niteshades it is! How many cans do you think I'll need? How many of clear coat?

Old 12-04-2010, 12:57 PM

I would also go with nite shade heres some pics of mine.

This is 3 cotes and very hard to c during daylight. IMO i would go 1 or 2 light cotes.

This is what a viynal tint looks like

Thats buffed and wax 2.

You wont even need a full can, NO CLEAR COAT let me repeat NO CLEAR COAT.

All you need to do is clean the tail light (off the car) with windex. Apply lightly this does run very easy. For the sake of repeating DONT USE CLEAT COAT. You will infact dull the finish with it.

Last edited by gothkid; 12-04-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:08 PM

You wont even need a full can, NO CLEAR COAT let me repeat NO CLEAR COAT.

All you need to do is clean the tail light (off the car) with windex. Apply lightly this does run very easy. For the sake of repeating DONT USE CLEAT COAT. You will infact dull the finish with it.
I hate to say it, but how would you dull the finish with clear? As long as you spray your last clear layer wet/thick so it flows out nicely before drying- you should have a nice gloss that matches the rest of your car's paint. Only way I could see it looking more dull is if you sprayed your top clear coat very dry (ie holding the can too far away) and ended up with a rough clear texture- but even then, you'd just have to do another wet layer, or simply wet sand and buff the clear up.

Quick Reply: Niteshades, or tint film?