Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

nite shades are not that bad or difficult

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Default nite shades are not that bad or difficult

hey guys, decided to post some pictures of how the cars transformation from stock has gone so far, after a thorough claying, meguiars ultimate compounding, polishing and waxing, i got most of the scratches and swirl marks out

did the taillights with nite shades, because seriously 200 dollars for those led housings lights are just too damn much ... with a section taped off to retain stock visibility and reflectivity, and also legality ( hopefully ) but after it was done, i think the section i left stock in the light really stands out and changes the way the car looks from the back ... youll notice i left the side markers exposed, and extended it in a thinning swoop the mirrors the curve of the larger lamp section

and i lost the rear chevy bowtie ( because i broke it while trying to take it off so i could paint it ) - and blacked out the front one ...

let me know if you guys are liking it so far, next is the blacked out HID head light enclosures ... and then ill start saving for the sounds ... engine and audio

but seriously, an overall review of nite shades as a stand alone product, if you are willing to take the time to sand BEFORE and AFTER painting ... and after clear coat ... they end up as shiny as the rest of your car ( if you like that look ) if not wet sanding them leaves a filmy dull look with some orange peel in the clear coat ...

for anyone not wishing to pay for the tail light housings, and not able to find a precise and detailed method online, they are a few out there, but some disparities in the methods could lead to confusion, you are more than welcome to send me a message and ill take the time to write it out completely or even call you and explain it to you ...

or if you live in the chicagoland area, id do them for you, obviously if you buy the materials and such

Last edited by drjesus616; 07-04-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:56 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks great, and I hate the bad rep nightshades get, all because some people just spray on a few coats and dont even clear lol.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 AM

thanks enzo ... in all reality it maybe took a total of 6-8 hours with sanding, prep, waiting, taking a nap while the clear dried and final wetsanding and compounding ...

and for about 40 dollars total in materials, and i still have a can of shades left, as well as sandpaper and tape ... you cant beat it for cheap mods

oh ... and the best part and this will really make some people mad im sure, i did this all overnight at work ... because no ones here and because as security, i can open and close all the doors ... and it was alot easier to do this inside under lights then sweat in the daytime or fumble in the dark ... so i guess technically i got paid to mod my car ...

Last edited by drjesus616; 07-04-2010 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i had experience with niteshade, but i'll keep that to myself. looks good now you need to do the reverse lights.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Looks beautiful!

Old 07-04-2010, 10:21 AM

You losing your back bow tie, definitely a +

Great looking Monte you have there.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:52 PM

when done right night shade looks good thing is its easy to mess up and overspray too. i was going to nightshade my stock ones but i broke one of the tail lights and figured id just buy the black led ones haha. but it looks good man you did a good job.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Looks great! That's the best nightshade job I've seen!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

nightshade is really easy to work with, its the people that dont like to clear it that get upset, like myself, i didnt clear mine because my clear was all out, so it did fade, but if i were to clear it im sure it would be fine.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Very nice!

Quick Reply: nite shades are not that bad or difficult