Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Opinion Needed: Need help with rock chip damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Need help with rock chip damage

I have quite a few blemishes due to rock chips and am not sure what I should do to get them fixed, I ha e researched the while process and am still confused. Would it be worth it to take it in and get it done by a pro? I went to napa and talked to the manager who recommended using compound then black tirtle wax to mask over the minor imperfections. I tried these and saw no change at all to the marks. I am scared to try to usr touch up paint because I am not confident in my ability to make it look good. I tried to get some pictures, but it is still hard to see clearly.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143041.jpg   Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143046.jpg   Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143053.jpg   Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143056.jpg   Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143030.jpg  

Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143032.jpg   Need help with rock chip damage-20170704_143038.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ZealousFern
I have quite a few blemishes due to rock chips and am not sure what I should do to get them fixed, I ha e researched the while process and am still confused. Would it be worth it to take it in and get it done by a pro? I went to napa and talked to the manager who recommended using compound then black tirtle wax to mask over the minor imperfections. I tried these and saw no change at all to the marks. I am scared to try to usr touch up paint because I am not confident in my ability to make it look good. I tried to get some pictures, but it is still hard to see clearly.

You may want to go to Autogeek - We Are Car Care, Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store and check out the information there, I have seen this on the velocity channel and they seem to be a very good source. From the looks of the pics the damage is not terrible. I have seen much worse for sure. Black cars are fairly easy to touch up and fix.
I would go to the local GM dealer and get the appropriate touch up paint for your car. Then in the door or the trunk or under the hood you can test a spot and keep working on it until you have it mastered. Then touch up the other areas. You may want to start with Polishing compound and lightly work on the areas that have blemishes.
refer to youtube for some videos on the subject and before you know it you will be able to start your own side line business.
this is what I do to touch up the spots on my car and it has worked fairly well. My biggest problem is the dings on the sides of the car. Still trying to figure what to do there.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:17 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I tried using mcguiar's ultimate compound, but I noticed zero difference in any area that I applied it. it it possible that I used too little or didn't work it in enough? I read about people taking their paint off with it, and didn't want to go too crazy with it.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ZealousFern
I tried using mcguiar's ultimate compound, but I noticed zero difference in any area that I applied it. it it possible that I used too little or didn't work it in enough? I read about people taking their paint off with it, and didn't want to go too crazy with it.
I believe you may want to begin with the touchup first then work into the polishes. Some times a auto buffer is a good thing to use. keep it off the decals like the red bowtie on your hood.

Were any of the sites I linked helpful??

Old 07-04-2017, 06:13 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Your links have been extremely helpful