Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

My Bodywork/Rust Experience (back wheel well)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:31 AM
3 Year Member
Default My Bodywork/Rust Experience (back wheel well)

Well i figured that since i am doing this rust removal project on my car i would go ahead and make a how to the best i can. There wasn't much in detail on how to do this type of work on the Monte so hopefully this will help someone down the road.

REMEMBER I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL
-just someone who loves his car and doesn't want to see in a rust bucket in two years

For this project you'll need a couple things:

- Some sort of rust converter ( eg. Rust Doctor)
-Wire Wheel
-Car Jack (also jack stand)
-Socket Wrench
-Sand Paper
-Vacuum
-Paint thinner/ Mineral spirits
-Fiberglass Sheeting AND Fiberglass Resin
-Touch up paint kit to go with your Monte's color

(this is a weekend job make sure you have time to do complete it in one weekend, not a job you want to prolong due to risk of leaving exposed metal and further creating rust)

Old 06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
3 Year Member

First things first your going to want to put you car on a jack stand.

Lift location show below. The jack i used is the one that comes in the trunk by the spare tire.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
3 Year Member

Now that you have the car jacked you can begin to take off the tire. You may want to put a wedge under the tire or something so the tire does not spin while your trying to take of the bolts under the center cap.

(center cap comes of real easy just pry with flat head screw driver

AHHHH TIRES GONE!!!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
3 Year Member

Next is taking of the black liner splash guard (show by arrow below right next to my beautiful rust that will soon be gone)

There are i believe 6 tiny bolts that you will need at socket wrench for and a pesty weird plastic double ended type bolt (we'll get to later)

The screw location are shown below.

Two are directly behind where the tire would be, on both the left and right sides of the shock spring.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM
3 Year Member

The other screws are on both sides of the trim and and below on the bumper side. The are fairly easy to tell but i also have those pictured if there is any confusion.

The one underneath your going to have to actually lay on the ground to get to. Comes off just as easy as the others though!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
3 Year Member

Here you will see the plastic plus i was talking about.....The wheel liner came out as much as i needed to so i just left the plug in and worked around it. You'll see later how i just set the liner on the ground and worked around it no problem.

Now you should be able to wiggle it out of position and lay it under the axle which will allow you plenty of room to work and the area that needs to be tended too with no problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
3 Year Member

WIRE BRUSH TIME (or wire wheel which is what i ended up using because it was much more refined and quicker by all means)

For this you will want to make sure you get all the loose pieces of rust off your infected area.This will insure that no loose pieces will fall off later leaving exposed areas. IMPORTANT however to leave rust behind since essentially that's what you are doing this for ....transforming the rusted surface to a clean black paint-able surface.

Don't be afraid to go a bit beyond the visual rust cause there is going to be rust all around the bubbles and oxidized spots... you just cant see them.... yet. Its also important to get both sides, the rust is not simply sitting on the exterior of the panel.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM
3 Year Member

Next its time for you paint thinner or mineral spirits, i used mineral spirits.

This is an important part of getting rid of all the dust dirt and grease in order to get u a nice clean surface. Before using this i actually just used a vacuum to get the big chunks of rust up and dirt (which was most likely the reasoning behind the rust spot to begin with). I did this once then let it dry for about 20 mins and went ahead and did another coat to insure i got everything.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Nice write up! Do you have pictures of finished wheel well? And did you paint the entire quarter panel or try to fade and blend it in with spray paint?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dmjr228
Nice write up! Do you have pictures of finished wheel well? And did you paint the entire quarter panel or try to fade and blend it in with spray paint?
haven't got to painting or fiberglassing yet. furthest i am right now is to the rust converter three different layers takes three hours. ill be uploading up to the furthest point ive gotten to today and when i finish the rest soon i will be posting those soon hopefully

Thanks btw

Quick Reply: My Bodywork/Rust Experience (back wheel well)