Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Irritating Wind Noise From Driver Door Window Frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Irritating Wind Noise From Driver Door Window Frame

Ok so on my drivers door near the top left of the window door frame at the far corner (farthest point from the hinges). At freeway speeds I keep hearing noise from the wind. It's driving me nuts!. You can stick your finger in there and press on the weatherstripping to make it stop. The weatherstripping is not damaged other then being smooshed a little. Door is level and smooth on the outside. It's definitely coming from the door weatherstripping/seal, not from the window.

Need some suggestions on stopping this noise. I was thinking of sticking some twine or thin rope in the drainage hole of the weatherstripping to make it a little thinker. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by SSmokybear; 03-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I would think the weatherstripping is starting to lose it's malleability, which means it's going bad, probably would just replace it if it were me.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:38 PM

your wind noise may be because if you have ever locked your keys in the car the locksmith may have used a wedge to help fit tools to unlock the car and that has been known to tweak the door frame just enough to create that wind noise i know that is why i have that same noise on the pass. side of my car

Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM

open your door

roll down your window

place your knee somewhere on the interior door panels (usually aroun the arm rest)

grab the top of the window around where the noise is comming from

use your body weight and lean back slightly until you can hear some creaking,
**dont try to do it all in one step. and bend it to much**

grab a piece of paper and put it halfway in the frame and outside and close the door, if the paper pulls out easily you need to twist the frame a bit more

rinse and repeat until the paper has resistance pulling out, or even rips when u try to pull on it

Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM

u can also test ur weatherstripping if u take some sort of white powder, baby powder, foot powder, what ever it may be... put it on ur weatherstripping all over the door close the door, then open it. if u see a good line of powder ur weatherstripping is nice and tight... but if u see little or no powder, than there is a good chance that ur weatherstripping has lost its "spring". its a cheap,fast and safe way to check for leaks... u could also pour water on the weatherstripping from outside when the door and window is closed, and see if it leaks. and for people that like spending money... im not sure what its called, but its a leak detection tool that uses sound waves to check for gaps or leaks... u put a receiver inside the car on the seat, and when ur outside the car with the door and window closed, u take the tool (usually a wand of some sort) and slowly move it up and down the door seams (where weatherstripping would be present).

Old 03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
15 Year Member

Update:

The car was broken into on 11/2008. Fully insured by AAA. They said to take it to my body shop. See what they say and whatever it needs they will cover. I asked if that meant getting a new door. They said, yeap including a new door. I love AAA.

I'm thinking i can get the whole front of the car repainted too. Spoiler up front is wasted from road crap.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SSmokybear
Update:

The car was broken into on 11/2008. Fully insured by AAA. They said to take it to my body shop. See what they say and whatever it needs they will cover. I asked if that meant getting a new door. They said, yeap including a new door. I love AAA.

I'm thinking i can get the whole front of the car repainted too. Spoiler up front is wasted from road crap.
doesnt that mean it will show up with your vin? =/

Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
doesnt that mean it will show up with your vin? =/
You mean on a carfax?? No because it was not an accident. Only accidents or floods are reported. Not a vehicle break in. I have never seen a CarFax report such incidents.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:54 PM

I've had body shop guys tell me they "torque" the door at the top to correct this. Make sure you roll your window down before you try this.