Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

I got a new front bumper!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member
Default I got a new front bumper!

I signed up on the forum a while back, but kind of forgot about it! I'll try to pop in more often! ANYWAY...I put a new front bumper on my 1998 MC LS. The old was was cracked(when I got it) and looked awful! I had went to the local salvage yard to look for a window switch, and what do I lay my eyes on? a 1997 Lumina LTZ, the same exact color as my Monte Carlo with a NEAR MINT bumper. There are only two small cracks. One, on the lower valance, and one on the side, which is merely a stress crack from the fender being pushed in. It's not perfect, but a LOT better than my old one! And too, the whole car isn't perfect. It has some dings, and scratches, and a tiny but of rust coming though. But she runs like a top, and when shes all detailed, looks pretty darn good still for 141,000 miles! Of course, since the bumper was from a Lumina LTZ, its the same nose as a Monte Carlo Z34, so, it's a little different than the LS nose. The lower valance is beefier and forward more, the chrome strip is body colored instead of chrome, and no gray panel under the hood. I'll stop blabbing and include some picture!

"THE EVOLUTION OF MY BUMPER" lol:

^The day after I got the car in May 2009

^After removing the tape and using mineral spirits to remove the tape residue.

^After repairing the lower valance by placing push pins in the correct holes.

^My new bumper home from the salvage yard!

All in all, I am EXTREMLY pleased with the outcome! Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and pics!!

PS: See "CarDomain" link for more pics!

Last edited by 7498MonteCarlo; 06-04-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM

you did a great job

Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 PM

i forgot to ask did you go back and try to get more things off of that ltz lumina for your monte as in. was the luminas interior in good condition also other parts as in the head lights the fronts were there in good condition if they were you could be spaires for your head lights.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

Thank you for the compliments!

Nothing else was usable for me. However, I did try to get the 'bump' spoiler(as I like to call them) off the the trunk and broke it in half! I took off the two nuts inside the trunk lid...it wasn't moving to I stuck a screw driver underneath to find that it was held on with double sided tape all around the edges. So, I was trying to pull up easily, and use the screwdriver to peel it away. Would have been useful to have my putty knife I use to pull emblems off with LOL. And it gave way and snapped in half. There was already a small crack in it, so it just expanded from there. Oh well. I say everything happens for a reason. What if I did get it off, and drilled the holes in my trunk lid incorrectly? Then I would have been screwed...BIG TIME. Would have been awesome though since it was the same color. Wouldn't have had to get it painted.