Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

how hard is it to replace bulbs to...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Monte of the Month -- October 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default how hard is it to replace bulbs to...

the bright xenon ones and what type should i get for fog and headlites? suggestions and opinions please.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

You wanting hids or regular bulbs? If its just regular bulbs than silverstar ultras are the way to go

Old 01-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Silverstars would be the easiest to change out. But for about the same price you could get HIDs which would be just a little longer to change out but yet much brighter. I got mine from ddmtuning.com 6000k 35 watt for fog and low beam and so far I've had no issues.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM

I'd say go with silverstars just plug and play and are pretty good from what I've heard, had a pair on one of my trucks and loved them.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Silverstars would be the easiest to change out. But for about the same price you could get HIDs which would be just a little longer to change out but yet much brighter. I got mine from ddmtuning.com 6000k 35 watt for fog and low beam and so far I've had no issues.
Curious if you know what the lifespan of HIDs is. Age is a b ya know, seeing in the dark gets less and less as ones eyeballs age.

I ran with Silverstars and really liked the brightness, but dang! was getting 7 to 8 months of life out of them.

I replaced my faded lights and went back to normal bulbs.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM

ty guys. i think i will go w the silverstars beings i havent driven the car at night since ive owned her. lol

Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
I ran with Silverstars and really liked the brightness, but dang! was getting 7 to 8 months of life out of them.
Silverstar Ultras barely lasted for me. My regular silverstars have been going strong for over a year.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Curious if you know what the lifespan of HIDs is. Age is a b ya know, seeing in the dark gets less and less as ones eyeballs age.

I replaced my faded lights and went back to normal bulbs.
Had HID's from ddmtuning in my explorer for just over a year before it was sold and never had any issues. Had the lights on almost all the time. Probably put about 10k miles on it before I removed the HID kit just before we sold it. Ran Silverstars in the Explorer before going to HIDs and the HIDs made a huge difference.

Decided against silverstars and went straight to HIDs for the Monte, but I've only had them since October. So only time will tell how long they actually last before a bulb goes out or something happens to the ballast.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Had HID's from ddmtuning in my explorer for just over a year before it was sold and never had any issues. Had the lights on almost all the time. Probably put about 10k miles on it before I removed the HID kit just before we sold it. Ran Silverstars in the Explorer before going to HIDs and the HIDs made a huge difference.

Decided against silverstars and went straight to HIDs for the Monte, but I've only had them since October. So only time will tell how long they actually last before a bulb goes out or something happens to the ballast.
would autozone or someone like that install them or do ya need it done professionally?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by joeykl66
would autozone or someone like that install them or do ya need it done professionally?
I don't think they'd install something you didn't buy from them but it's worth a shot I guess. I'm sure someone there would be willing to help you out (at least at the parts store I go to they try to lend a hand with just about anything).
I'm assuming your talking about HIDs right? They're plug and play. Plug in two more things than just switching out the bulbs. So if you know how to change the bulbs, you can put HIDs in. No need for a professional install in my opinion.

Wire from stock bulb plugs into ballast, wire coming from ballast goes to HID bulb, then you twist the bulb into the headlight. Then mount the ballast wherever depending on how much slack you have in the wires.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 01-25-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: how hard is it to replace bulbs to...