Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Hood Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hood Damage

Well this will just ruin your weekend.

I was tailgating Saturday at "local B10 U," made it home late, then last night went out to the garage, looked at the hood and saw this little gem. We park in an area pretty heavily frequented by drunk students on their way to the game. Between them or an errant football my hood appears to have ended up on the short end of a stick.

I called the university PD, and of course, they were no help. They said no security cameras point at that lot. So I guess I'm left hoping someone feels horrible guilt and seeks me out this weekend to make it right (ha!).

Anybody care to take a guess at what this would cost to repair? Am I looking at a repaint? I can't get it looked at until later this week and am just looking for an idea of what I'd be in for.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Damage-img_20150907_202639602.jpg  
Old 09-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

First thing I would do is grab a plunger, yup a plunger for your toilet, just make sure it's a clean one lol, put it in the center of the dent press in the with the plunger until it seals and then pull up, with any luck it will pop it right out. You could also try a method I saw someone post a video of on here a while back, where they heated up the dent with a hair dryer/heat gun I would try hair dryer first as too much heat may be a bad thing, and once the area is heated up use a can of compressed air such as electronic cleaner and spray the area, the dent should pop right out.

No harm in trying to see if either of those methods work, I have had excellent luck with a plunger in the past, but have not personally tried the hot/cold trick but on the video it worked for the guy and with either of these methods you shouldn't need to repaint unless for some strange reason the paint cracks when it pops out, but I doubt that will happen

Old 09-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Here's the link I was talking about

How To Fix A Small Dent In Your Car

There is a video in the link that shows exactly what I was talking about

Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

I would do the plunger idea. I saw that heat thing but it doesn't work sadly. They tried it on hack my life.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question

You also may be able to push from the underside also. I think the dent pop trick is only good for small ones. I did watch the Dent Popper guy once and he used heat lamps and Freon to make them pop and it worked I saw it. The one with the can and the hairdryer, most likely needs to be just right to work. I think they inverted the can to get the thing cold enough to work.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member

Alright, going to start with the plunger method (least potential for me being an idiot). My wife and I are having a friendly conversation about how to do this.

She wants me to use the one in the garage, like the house one, as in....well, I think you get the idea. I want to go to Lowe's, buy one, go out to the parking lot, use it, then go back inside and return it. Maybe that makes me a jerk....I also think plungers are disgusting.

How about it everyone, which side of the vote do you all fall on here?

Old 09-10-2015, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member

And I checked from the bottom, it's right above a part of the inner hood that actually allows for the biggest gap between the inside piece and the outside piece (because of course that's where it is). Hopefully that made a little sense.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

Consider me a convert to the ways of Harbor Freight!!!! I got this bad boy for $12.99 plus another 20% and because it's Harbor Freight they threw in a little LED flashlight.

Crossbar Dent Repair Kit

I'm willing to bet I increased my resale value more the $11 I spent to fix my dent.

Pics 1/2 then 3/4 are the before and after. Pic 5 was me trying hard to find an angle where you could still tell something used to be (arguably still is) wrong. And pic 6 is just a head on. Again, because you know where to look you can tell....but after I get it washed and waxed up I'm hoping it'll be just an afterthought.

I had to go about it a couple different spots hoping to pull it gradually, then one of the times I was doing it the whole thing popped out. I think being right on that little ridge it wasn't looking for slow pulls then I just got lucky and picked the right spot. Certainly made my day to get her fixed up.

Attached Thumbnails Hood Damage-1.jpg   Hood Damage-2.jpg   Hood Damage-3.jpg   Hood Damage-4.jpg   Hood Damage-5.jpg  

Hood Damage-6.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 AM

THANKS Member's for helping member farmerjg