Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Paint/Body Work/Exterior (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/)
-   -   Help with spoiler! (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/paint-body-work-exterior-32/help-spoiler-51638/)

Red Monte Carlo 12-30-2014 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354 (Post 641782)
Yea man, listen to your uncle. He knows. Make sure you let the paint cure for at least 3 months before you let it go outside into the cold or it will make it peel.

Ok thanks. The temperature around here is usually a little over 50 during the winter so if i let it sit in the house for about 10 days, then do you think it would be ok to put it on my car?

nemesis 12-31-2014 12:02 AM

did you lightly sand it down before painting? i was waiting for you to call me when you receive the spoiler so i can give you instuction. anyway did you have problem drilling the hole in the spoiler? just curious what did your uncle think of the spoiler now after he told you it's not fixable?:)

before you mount the spoiler the new stud bolts i sent and i think two that's i installed in the spoiler already, have fine thread. one of the nut is a course thread i forgot to throw away. just make sure when you put the nut on the stud if it only thread 1/4 of a way and won't screw any farther down. don't use that nut. it have a course thread. use the other nuts cuz those are the correct thread pattern for the stud.

nitehawkjcb 12-31-2014 12:53 AM

You can make rattle can paint look almost as good as real auto paint. Wet sanding is the key though. I did 800 grit, 1000, 1200, 1500, and then 2000. Rubbing compound and a drill with a buffing pad. Then polish. Granted, I didn't have clear coat - but from what I understand it shouldn't matter. It's all spray enamel.

Red Monte Carlo 12-31-2014 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by nemesis (Post 641789)
did you lightly sand it down before painting? i was waiting for you to call me when you receive the spoiler so i can give you instuction. anyway did you have problem drilling the hole in the spoiler? just curious what did your uncle think of the spoiler now after he told you it's not fixable?:)

before you mount the spoiler the new stud bolts i sent and i think two that's i installed in the spoiler already, have fine thread. one of the nut is a course thread i forgot to throw away. just make sure when you put the nut on the stud if it only thread 1/4 of a way and won't screw any farther down. don't use that nut. it have a course thread. use the other nuts cuz those are the correct thread pattern for the stud.

I was gonna send you photos once it was done so you could see how it turned out :). Also one of the bolts on it was loose in place so i fixed that. It fits great thanks for the help! Once I get it painted completely ill show you how it looks.

Red Monte Carlo 12-31-2014 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my spoiler finished with painting FINALLY! Its now perfect, but it will do. I put it on to see how it fit and i ran into another problem :mad: ... The spoiler isn't big enough to cover up the marks, stains, and scratches that my old spoiler left on the trunk. Im sure I know how to fix the chipped paint but how would I get rid of the black line on the trunk? :confused: please help me I've already tried to scrub it off and I even used goo gone and it won't come off.

Red Monte Carlo 12-31-2014 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another photo

nemesis 12-31-2014 06:24 PM

im not a body man expert but if it's me since there paint chip and scratches already. i would sand and repaint the trunk.

Red Monte Carlo 01-01-2015 05:53 PM

My uncle suggested to use rubbing compound to get the black stain off the paint. It took a while of scrubbing but I got it off! Now im going to just touch up the chipped paint, you can barely notice it since the new spoiler covers most of it up. Also once the paint has settled more on my spoiler in a few days I might buff it a little and then I think I will be finished! :thumbsup:

nemesis 01-01-2015 11:22 PM

cool:) problem solve. you don't have to, but you can cut some strips of double side tape and put on bottom of the spoiler when bolt on the trunk. when i pulled the spoiler off the wrecked mc i saw some double side tape on it that's why im suggesting, but i don't think it's a big deal if you don't have tape under it.

Red Monte Carlo 01-02-2015 11:27 PM

Yeah i had to take the double sided tape off of this one also. I might not put more on until I get a body shop to paint my spoiler sometime.