Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help!! Rusting away a beautiful car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM
3 Year Member

I live in Ohio so yah probably affects the rusting haha. As far as what your suggesting, on top of that what can i do to prevent this type of rust on the rest of my car. This is my first car and just bought it last summer. Its an amazing driver no problems since i bought it and under 72k mile on it.

Also anyone know of any good cheap body shops in NW OHIO or anyone selling a back wheel well panel!?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't bondo...if you plan on keepin the car get it done right...or just leave it but it will get worse really fast

Old 06-01-2011, 09:24 AM

To everyone saying have it cut out... well, sometimes it's not that simple. In my old monte, I cut mine out completely, sawed through the entire metal so there was a big gap in the car, and filled it in, yada yada. It came back anyway. You need an entirely new panel for it to stay gone for good, unfortunately. Even if you cut it out, it will spead elsewhere. New panel is the only way to go. They run about 1.8-2k I hear.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
3 Year Member

1.8-2k........welp! bondo and prey it is lol

Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 AM

No no no no! It will come back every six months, and the bubbles will spread as well as the rusts. Please don't do that to a beautiful car.

Listen, the rust will spread inevitably, but it's worth it to replace the panel, I promise. Like you said, such a beautiful car. The rust is there, always will be, but it won't spread like fire. You'll have time to slowly save up a bit for a new panel. See if you can't find one from a junkyard, or get a deal. There are deals on everything. It's worth the time it would take.

The rust won't be out to the front of your rear quarter panels for a LONG time. Just keep your Monte clean and save for it, bit by bit. Don't bondo. I learned the hard way, it's like taping over cracks in the road. That's about as useful as it gets.

I'm a broke college kid too, so I understand where you're coming from. But if it were me, I'd take the time (months even) to save for a new panel. Just my two cents. You don't want to have to re-bondo more of the car every six months. That's what'll happen otherwise. Promise.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
3 Year Member

Alright well im kinda at a split at what to do cause if a panel will cost 1.8-2k which might not even be the right color i might as well just get a new car or bondo it and hope that it doesnt come back. If anyone knows where to get a panel for cheap or any other info please let me know.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM

I guarantee it will come back no matter what.

I was wrong about the 2k. I just went off what I was told by a mechanic when I had the same problem. I did some looking for you and a replacement part will run around $400-500 by itself. To paint it, and have the old one removed and the new one installed would probably cost 2k. Sorry for the mix up.

So really it's about $1800-2000ish to get it, paint it AND have it replaced. Not bad, actually. And you can always find deals that aren't too sketchy. Look around for a few days or weeks. It's totally worth it.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:38 AM
3 Year Member

alright thanks for the help man really appreciate it .... now i just need someone to buy my spoiler so i can start a save my car fund lol

Old 06-01-2011, 10:54 AM
3 Year Member

what exactly is the part i will be looking for just a "back panel"?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I wouldnt replace the whole panel for that little bit of rust. Thats just overkill. Having the panel patched properly should last a few years easily. The main thing is getting rustproofing to the backside of the patch as best you can and leaving as little exposed bare metal as possible. If the patch is galvanized thats a plus too. Its true, it WILL rust out again, but it can be made to last a while if done properly.

Quick Reply: Help!! Rusting away a beautiful car!