Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Help on Painting a Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Help on Painting a Hood?

I hit a deer and had to replace my hood and right fender. Got the parts from a junk yard. They both need paint. How many 8 oz. aerosol cans do you think it would take to paint the hood?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mechanically Declined
I hit a deer and had to replace my hood and right fender. Got the parts from a junk yard. They both need paint. How many 8 oz. aerosol cans do you think it would take to paint the hood?
I have never painted anything that big with a rattle can. But I have painted an engine cover and a few other things under my hood. My engine cover for the base coat took 3 cans (they were small cans) and then I used 2 cans of clear (small cans). But if you plan to do it yourself, you may look into a paint gun and an air compressor (if you don't have one) and use 2k paint since that is going to be much more durable then paint out of a rattle can. However, if you do that, I believe you would then need a booth and a suit that can pump in fresh air because I believe it is Toxic to breath in.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've got emails and a craigslist ad out to get estimates.

I'm thinking the cans might cost as much as a cheap paint job. I was kind of joking about using 8 oz. cans, but I may actually end up having to aerosol it myself. I really, really don't want to do that, but it might be better than nothing for now.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Do they need to be stripped of paint or anything like that, or are they all ready to be painted? If there is no work that needs to be done to prep it and you just need a paint job, then you may be able to get a paint job that is pretty cheap. I know a lot of people don't recommend Macco because they do horrible prep work. But if there is no prep work that needs to be done, then they might be a viable option that would be pretty cheap. I used 8 oz on my engine cover as well as my strut support bars. The cans I used were almost $8 a can. So if you think, on something small like an engine cover took about 5-6 cans in total between paint (just for base coat, not to mention accents were another 3 cans) I spent a total of about $72 on just paint for my engine cover. Even if you go with something like a 12 oz can, you are looking at something probably in the realm of $200-$250 for paint and clear. Where you could put that money into a paint job. I can't see a hood and right fender costing that much as long as there is not any kind of major prep work that is needed.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Probably 6 cans for the hood and 3 or 4 for the fender.

Sand, clean, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, sand, buff. Or clearcoat. Your choice.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks, guys. I still have to decide which way to go here.

When it got nice a few weeks ago, I cleaned this thing inside and out, put new headlights on it and did some other stuff. I used some lens renewal stuff on the backup light cover, tried to make the black panel on the truck shine.

Then this baby deer comes up out of this ditch on my right and runs right into my right headlight. It could have been a lot worse, but it still kind of sucks. It was less than one second from the time I saw him until he hit the car.

Here's a photo with parts replaced and the old headlight back in.

Name:  HoodFender010.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  83.2 KB

I have one guy that will paint it for $200, I buy paint and tape and prep it myself. Still waiting to hear back from some other guys.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The panels look like they are in good shape. Paint can be really expensive. If you're on a budget I would do spray cans. I repainted my entire front bumper cover with spray paint and it came out pretty good.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
The panels look like they are in good shape. Paint can be really expensive. If you're on a budget I would do spray cans. I repainted my entire front bumper cover with spray paint and it came out pretty good.
Nice job on your car! What does holes and slots in the rotors do?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by Mechanically Declined
Nice job on your car! What does holes and slots in the rotors do?
Technically slotted and drilled rotors dissipate heat better than blank rotors. Honestly though I just got them for the looks

Old 05-18-2013, 10:57 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

JUST PLASTI DIP IT!! But really, $200 is a decent amount of money for him just to spray it. My advice, but a $99 paint gun, and a decent sized compressor. I made a lot of stuff come out half way decent in my barn with a set up like that.

Go to parts store

Quick Reply: Help on Painting a Hood?