Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Headlight painting, black SS overlays, debadging, polished rims, intallation of rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM

this for the imp but its the guy i got mine from. should fit.
http://www.grafxwerks.com/products/shop.php?part=IMSS2

Old 08-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by drjesus616
where do you find the ss emblem overlays ??? im getting rid of my gm badges but obviously want to keep the ss and monte ... ive done the front bow tie as you may be able to see in one of these ...

i really want some sort of black rim but its not in the budget ... and i wanted the blacked out ccfl imitation HID headlights but decided to get an HID kit and do this to the outside of the headlights ...

sorry no pictures of them back on the car as the weather has been horrible lately and i havent washed her in a few weeks ... shame i know ...

but you can see the taillights lookin good in this picture, and the rear badge gone ... then in the following the front bowtie blacked out ...

i really want to murder her out completely and painting the chrome grill strip and removing the gm badges are the next step ... my only two things are, i hate tints so ill never go limo dark on it, and the stock rims have grown on me so im going to leave them, monetary concerns having absolutely nothing to do with it at all ...
Those eyebrows on the headlights look so dope. Excellent job on the design on that. Lookin all baleful!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cicatrix
Lookin all baleful!
wow ... a word i had to actually look up ... and thanks by the way ... im going to finishing detailin a few sections of the car on monday and get some pictures up monday night with the eyebrows ... it really has changed the way the car looks with the headlights on and hasnt affected visibility whatsoever

EDIT - by the way, i cant take credit for the design of the eyebrow as it was a molded in line in the plastic, meant to follow the lines of the hood im sure in case chevy was going to do something with the headlights themselves or what ... go look on any monte or impala of those years

Last edited by drjesus616; 08-14-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

On the headlight, is that a vinyl or paint?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looking good

Old 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by irulesoha
So I'm making the Monte all black. Black on black on black on black.

So I just got my SS and GM overlays. With my 18" polished SS rims, should I put those on? Or should I wait until I get black rims? How would it look with a black car, black badges, and polished rims? And if I do, should I put the black decal covering the gold bowtie on the rims? At this point, I'm thinking I should wait...

Also, I'm painting the headlights this weekend. Just to make sure, I'm cooking them at 350 for 5ish minutes. Will the plastic be hot? Or just the seal? Rather, how do I pull the thing apart? Then, how many coats of paint should I do? And what kind of paint should I use?

Then... how much does it normally cost to have tires taken off one set of rims and thrown on another? Is it possible to put 7" wide tires on an 8" wide rim? Or is that asking for trouble?

Also getting the windows tinted next weekend (unless yet another issue comes up with my car that sets me back a few dollars...seems like that keeps happening...). Is 200ish a good price?

Sorry for so many questions again..........

Headlights, well put them in at 250 for about 7 minutes, you have less worries about it metling. I figure if you can go at a lower temp its less harsh on the lights. I think I went at about 200 for 10 minutes and they came apart ok. Id say dont go over 300*

You can put the 7 inch wide tire on the 8 rim, you wont gain any tread on the ground, but it might give it a cool look. People stretch tires all the time, some to ridiculous levels.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 PM

wow ... a word i had to actually look up ... and thanks by the way ... im going to finishing detailin a few sections of the car on monday and get some pictures up monday night with the eyebrows ... it really has changed the way the car looks with the headlights on and hasnt affected visibility whatsoever

EDIT - by the way, i cant take credit for the design of the eyebrow as it was a molded in line in the plastic, meant to follow the lines of the hood im sure in case chevy was going to do something with the headlights themselves or what ... go look on any monte or impala of those years
Hey, that's interesting to know. I'm going to go look now.
Can't wait to see it finished.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

$200 is good for tint, i did $270 for mine with front windshield eyebrow, and i need to go get it fixed =[ ah

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM

where do you find the ss emblem overlays ??? im getting rid of my gm badges but obviously want to keep the ss and monte ... ive done the front bow tie as you may be able to see in one of these ...
I got the SS overlays from reflectiveconcepts.com --> http://www.reflectiveconcepts.com/p4...duct_info.html
I got the reflective black set.

Matt is a great guy and VERY responsive to questions

As far as tint. I paid $190 for the Impala, and $175 for the Monte. 30% all around, life-time warranty. Got a "group" discount. Got a few friends together and was given $20-25 off of each

Old 08-16-2010, 10:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member

drjesus, what suburb are you from, I could swear I saw your car the other day. I'm in Arlington Heights.

Quick Reply: Headlight painting, black SS overlays, debadging, polished rims, intallation of rims