Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Headlight painting, black SS overlays, debadging, polished rims, intallation of rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
3 Year Member
Default Headlight painting, black SS overlays, debadging, polished rims, intallation of rims

So I'm making the Monte all black. Black on black on black on black.

So I just got my SS and GM overlays. With my 18" polished SS rims, should I put those on? Or should I wait until I get black rims? How would it look with a black car, black badges, and polished rims? And if I do, should I put the black decal covering the gold bowtie on the rims? At this point, I'm thinking I should wait...

Also, I'm painting the headlights this weekend. Just to make sure, I'm cooking them at 350 for 5ish minutes. Will the plastic be hot? Or just the seal? Rather, how do I pull the thing apart? Then, how many coats of paint should I do? And what kind of paint should I use?

Then... how much does it normally cost to have tires taken off one set of rims and thrown on another? Is it possible to put 7" wide tires on an 8" wide rim? Or is that asking for trouble?

Also getting the windows tinted next weekend (unless yet another issue comes up with my car that sets me back a few dollars...seems like that keeps happening...). Is 200ish a good price?

Sorry for so many questions again..........

Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM

that was quite a few questions. i think the rim one is all about what you like i personally didnt like the stock wheels but everytime i see them i think about putting them back on. i would most definitely put the overlay on the bowtie on the wheels. on the question about tire removal and install i think the pricing will vary by where ever you live. i paid alot to have mine swapped because of the tire pressure sensor. i dont get what you mean about the 7in tire and 8in tire. on the window tint i paid 120 with lifetime guarantee so maybe shop around. on the headlight thing heres a link that was posted on my other forum about it. if youd like join that forum too. good luck sorry for the long winded response.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-fr...most-done.html

Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM
3 Year Member

Hey, thanks for the response!

I'm knee deep into the first one now..

How the bleep do I get rid of the seal? I have the cover off, but the seal is impossible to get out of the groove!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:33 PM

i personally have never done it. im sure if you join up over on ls1tech and post on that thread i linked the guys will help you out. all of those guys in it are still active members.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:23 PM

200 isnt bad at for the tint, expecially if it comes with a lifetime warranty.

you already did the headlights and they turned out great.

not sure about the fitment, thats a question to ask a tire dealer.
when i broke my tpms sensore with a cheap valve cover and cold weather, it costed me around 10 dollars for the labor, at goodyear. i also had just purchased 4 tires, so had a few conversations with the manager.

it shouldnt be more than 50 bucks. maybe less if you talk to them. with my expirience the more you talk to the sales guys/managers the better price you get with anything.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I look forward to seeing the rest.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:39 PM

I like the all black look.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM

anyone got pictures of the blacked out headlights while the lights are on? i'm curious about doing them soon and just want to know if i'll be able to see at night

Old 08-06-2010, 03:01 PM

In my opinion, what makes the stock wheels look bad is the ugly gold emblem. I put the black overlay bowtie on mine, and it makes the wheels look 100 times better. Post lots of pics when you are done!!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 AM

where do you find the ss emblem overlays ??? im getting rid of my gm badges but obviously want to keep the ss and monte ... ive done the front bow tie as you may be able to see in one of these ...

i really want some sort of black rim but its not in the budget ... and i wanted the blacked out ccfl imitation HID headlights but decided to get an HID kit and do this to the outside of the headlights ...

sorry no pictures of them back on the car as the weather has been horrible lately and i havent washed her in a few weeks ... shame i know ...

but you can see the taillights lookin good in this picture, and the rear badge gone ... then in the following the front bowtie blacked out ...

i really want to murder her out completely and painting the chrome grill strip and removing the gm badges are the next step ... my only two things are, i hate tints so ill never go limo dark on it, and the stock rims have grown on me so im going to leave them, monetary concerns having absolutely nothing to do with it at all ...

Quick Reply: Headlight painting, black SS overlays, debadging, polished rims, intallation of rims