Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Finished cleaning Monte undercarriage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks REALLY nice! Keep an eye on that rubberized undercoating, as I've heard it has big tendency to flake off in a year or so. If it does and you end up re-doing this effort, look into a system called POR15. They had modified their instructions over the years.
Basically, get rid of any chipping/flaking pieces of debris, apply a "metal prep" product (DO NOT appliy any body fillers or primers, the closest you can get to bare metal the better, but if you have solid paint, don't worry about it, the POR15 will protect the paint), follow it's instructions, then you can spray or bruch paint the POR15 on the surface (anything I've done with POR15 was brush painted). If you spray it, you MUST use their paint thinner to keep the rust inhibiting properties. After the POR15 is applied they recommend top coating it if it will be exposed to UV light.

Just food for thought. Hopefully the rubberized undercoating you used is better then what I've heard of. Time will tell, but awesome job, it gives your Monte a "clean" look under neath!

I understand what you are saying about the undercoating flaking off. Have heard about this issue before. So I hopefully really cleaned everything well enough for a proper bond. And also bought a Professional grade coating, not the low cost product. Keep my fingers crossed, did my wheel wells last year and they actually still looked very nice, but shot them again anyway....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks Good i coated mine with rinoliner

Ha Ha I was actually looking at the Rhino liner products. Great choice, just no spray on products and I wanted to get every nook and cranny, seam, so I thought I had a better chance with a aerosol. How is yours holding up?? Bet it still looks very nice.

Looks really nice. I was just under mine and it looks a lot better then I thought it would. I do have a little rust on the a arms and front suspension parts but thats it. I suprised too after 6 michigan winters.

Glad to know the factory undercoatings actually are doing your Monte's underside nicely!! Cool!!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I used the spray on that the dealers use it looked great when it was first done but sence i live on gravel it got really dirty looking lol, ill prob clean it up once the GTO is off the lift & respray my exhaust & everything

Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow that looks fantastic! I hope it holds up for you! Great job

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

That looks great! Well done! I really want to do something similar this summer if I have the time.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Have you guys heard about the spray on under-liner actually being worse than no protection at all? I've heard that it will actually trap moisture and make it rust faster than before. Any comments on that?

I'd really like to at least re-shoot my wheel wells with some to make them look better and 'blacken them up'

Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

WOW!!! that looks amazing zippy! Mad props to you! You're Monte is so clean and well taken care of. Great job! I gatta do this!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It looks like a lot of time and effort is involved, but (imo) definitely worth it. This is a project I may tackle this summer.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Have you guys heard about the spray on under-liner actually being worse than no protection at all? I've heard that it will actually trap moisture and make it rust faster than before. Any comments on that?

I'd really like to at least re-shoot my wheel wells with some to make them look better and 'blacken them up'
Yes I had actually looked into that issue so I did not waste time / money and lose a car to rust. Talked to a shop, did online forum researchs and the general consensus is any undercoating is better than no undercoating especially if you drive with winter road conditions. The older products failure issues have been addressed with new formulas in the past 10 years, and now it is how well did you prep your undercarriage to receive the undercoating. The underside has to be free from moisture, grease, grime and rust. I covered all 4, after cleaning the undercarriage the car sat till i could get back to it to mask it off for about 4 days with warm weather. Then another 2 days to complete the different phases of the project. So in a nut shell, it's an old fear you no longer need to worry about....

Chevy actually applies a waxy type undercoating to the underside of our cars, but it wears off in a few years, then the control arms, sway bars etc. are just painted and they start to rust. galvanized metal and chemical baths are only used on selected body parts, as good as it is, other areas will rust...So might as well be pro-active and stave off the rust if possible...

Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
It looks like a lot of time and effort is involved, but (imo) definitely worth it. This is a project I may tackle this summer.
LOL, you can't even imagine bro, no creeper and very limited space, chaffed the heck out of my shoulders and back as I only wore a tank top and it was on concrete, like sand paper crawling around on your back for 4 days. It was a total beotch. Have a few nicks and cuts, black rubber on my skin, hair, clothes etc. WOW, I'm glad it's all done and over with. NOT FUN!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Great job!

Quick Reply: Finished cleaning Monte undercarriage.