Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Car Show Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:22 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car Show Woes

I realize my thread should actually be under the Detailing board and not this one. but with two whole threads started there.......................

I've got some questions about body, paint, wheels, etc...

WE took the '03 Pace car to the 2010 Monte Nationals back in june. The judges obviously felt the car could be better. John Harvey wanted a copy of the photos we took @ the Nats so I mailed a request for the judging sheets, (actually a copy of what points were deducted from) on the Pace car. So I'd have an idea what to work on for the 2011 Monte Nationals.

1. Wheels. They deducted points for the wheels. How do you get rid of the corrosion a wheel weight causes to a wheel such as those used on the 2000-2055 Montes? I believe they're clear coated in some fashion. Do you have to strip the old clear coat then deal with the corrosion, THEN re-apply a new clear coat?

2. Paint. They took points off for the paint. How, or why............. I'm not sure? Okay there may be a few stone chips on the front facia. So I guess the only course of action I have here is to have a professional paint shop re-paint the facia and color match it for me? I know the car is smooth as glass. I clay barred the car days before the Nats. There can't be any immpurities on the paint even right now.

3. Tires. Points were removed for the tires. WHY? Are you suppose to have the same tires the car came with from the factory? (ex. Goodyear Eagle)
The tires on the car show very little wear. No visable damage to the tires. They were put on new about 15,000 miles ago. the side walls have always been cleaned & dressed by me since we've owned the car.
Are we suppose to have the GoodYear Nascar tires on the car?

I'm pretty sure even John told us they could stay, points were removed for the hood and mirror bras being on the car. Looks like some points for the interior were deducted as well for the large towel we have on the back of the back seat to protect it from the sun.

This makes little sense to me cause the '06 Monte has a color coordinating towel in the same spot and no points were removed for it.

I'd ask these questions on NMCOA but I feel if I post them there, it will look like sour grapes. That I'm whinning cause the Pace car wasn't given an award. I'm just trying to get some imput as to what can be done to improve on the car and these areas?

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM

..Hi R.J.,
Sorry that you did not win this time, but you should know by now that you have to: Bride/pay `off the Judges to win, : ) or take out their ugly sister to dinner LOL

I think it would be difficult to win at major shows if your car is a daily driver (not that it's not possible), but I think it would be difficult to win against Monte Carlo's like our Super Member `Amy & her `Precious...
I hope `Amy reads your post: She is a Judge at many shows in the Chicago area...& I hope see
posts some tips/requirements that are needed to `win...

I think your Monte Pace Car is a Winner, and so should you, and that's all that should really matter

Below are some links that may help or give you some idea's what they are looking for, or at ?
Great to see you online, and don't give up `if you want to win...
Where there's a `Will ~> There's a `Way 4-Sure..Good Luck

Check `out the below links:
How to Judge a Car at a Car Show | eHow.com

How to Judge a Car at a Car Show. Car shows are serious business among car lovers and car club members. Some enter the car show with a really high desire to ...
www.ehow.com › CarsCar EnthusiastsCar Shows - Cached - Similar
Rules for Judging Car Shows | eHow.com

Jan 7, 2010 ... Every car show has its own rules for judging, tailored to the type of cars at the competition. Some of the organizations that hold ...
www.ehow.com › CarsCar EnthusiastsCar Shows - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 08-25-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

one way to reduce corrosion on the rims from the weight is get them ballanced like they are aftermarket rims and have the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel to get rid of the corrosion you would probably have to have the wheels refinished thats the only thing i can come up with

Old 08-25-2010, 12:47 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
one way to reduce corrosion on the rims from the weight is get them ballanced like they are aftermarket rims and have the wheel weights put on the inside of the wheel to get rid of the corrosion you would probably have to have the wheels refinished thats the only thing i can come up with

This is good, but after the fact what can you do? I mean the car had the weights replaced on thew wheels before we owned it. Then when the new tires were installed, the old weights removed, and now the corrosion from the old weights is now visable.

Space, I thought I was dating the judges ugly sister? LOL
(man I'm in trouble for this one)

I like the idea of getting Amy's imput.

Just my $0.02 worth here.
I felt the judges were nit picking.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I don't know who judged the Pace Car, but Ernie judged my car and he was nit picking Precious too. Especially under the hood - if you could believe it.
If you want the wheels to be perfect, you need to have them restored or get a better set of used ones.
Paint - I spent hours upon hours using different polishes with an orbital to get the scratches out of my paint - yes there are still scratches, but well hidden. My car has paint chips on the hood. I have had my front bumper repainted though.
Tires - I have no idea what they could find wrong with tires.
Make sure you use a pick to get out all of the rocks and debris out of where the ground effects attached to the car. Ernie made a comment about that.
I would leave the towels and bra off the car for judging - you can put them back when the judging has finished.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I guess your Pace Car is just too ugly for the shows.

I'll take it from you so you can buy something that will do better

Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I am not going to comment on that show and it's judging...

BUT I will say it is strange as to what the judges see at show...I'll flip the scenario for you...on the same weekend, although many miles away at Carlisle the gm nationals....about 75 montes showed up...some of the ones in attanedance:

My Monte - Full turbo kit, ground effects, rims, full system you know the deal, but I'll admit it had some water stains.

Friends 6th gen, also turbo'd ground effects lowered, hood, red, car was SPOTLESS dude literally detailed it all day.

The nymcc was there with Jays Great looking LS, Tommy's Black Monte, John S.'s prostreet car.

A good number of First genners were there.

Crushers car, 502 supercharger, original paint with stipes added, full leather white interior.

A whole host of montes were there....what won?

An all stock 6th gen LS.....no rims, no tints, nothing it had about 120K miles on it and that took home gold class jacket above every monte there.

The car was a clean one though, cleaner then any others? Not that I really saw, but I never judged a show so I really don't know...just shows that any car has a chance of winning depending on the judges...

Joe

Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM

...Hi `Joe, that's sad 4-Sure, but I'm learning that life sometimes, just is not `fair ....ok, many times....

...I think `if I had a car 2 enter I would hire some actors to play as hit men & Body Guards, & let the judges know how happy you would `be if you won, and how unhappy you would be `if you lost ~> LOL

Last edited by Space; 08-26-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

You just have to make sure your car is cleaner than the day it drove off the assembly line. That is the whole thing behind showing a newer car. And like space said, it's very difficult if the car is a daily driver. It depends on the show but some people are purists and frown upon any kind of mods. I don't think my Monte should belong in the Gold Class at the Monte Nats cause it's not 100% stock anymore,

Old 08-25-2010, 09:49 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I would leave the towels and bra off the car for judging - you can put them back when the judging has finished.
Have you every tried getting a towel back in the rear window? It ain't easy.

Make sure you use a pick to get out all of the rocks and debris out of where the ground effects attached to the car. Ernie made a comment about that.

You & I talked about a solution to this problem. Whether it be a clear or black silicone or ????

I guess your Pace Car is just too ugly for the shows.

I'll take it from you so you can buy something that will do better
I'll keep your offer in mind. LOL

I don't think my Monte should belong in the Gold Class at the Monte Nats cause it's not 100% stock anymore,
I can't get the '06 Monte in the Gold Class. Cause the stock exhaust has rust spots on it.
SAY............. isn't the exhaust suppose to be stainless? It can't be 100% stainless to rust like mine has.
I know I can't afford to replace (pretty much) a complete exhaust system on a car that doesn't need one. Just cause the judges will deduct points from the car cause something that came on the car shows some wear to it.

But "HOW" did the exhaust get these spots when the blasted thing sets inside 99.9% of the time???????????

Maybe besides the car cover and the blankets I keep on the car, I should have been parking on top of something to keep moisture from the floor reacting with the car.

Last edited by rj; 08-25-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Show Woes