Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bumper?

2001 Monte Carlo SS need a bumper guys. Went to have my car towed on Sunday and the tow truck driver dropped it 'cause he failed to put the lock pins in to hold the wheels straight 'cause we had the steering disconnected. He cracked the bumper on the passenger side and broke it away from the body where it mounts on the driver side. He's agreeing to pay for it out of pocket so I don't have to report it 'cause he says they will fire him. I'm trying to find a bumper now but all I can find is the LS model with the v shaped Monte Carlo emblem? Mine has a red SS on it and I can't find it anywhere?

Any suggestions on what to search for and if anybody has a part number that would be great.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member

OK as near as I can tell this is the bumper I have:

Now my car was a total out of Illinois so this may not be the bumper that actually came on the car but its the one I'd like to replace it with. Any idea how to get a hold of one? If anybody has a part # for this it would be much appreciated. Or if anybody knows whether I can get one on Ebay or not?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by michelob
OK as near as I can tell this is the bumper I have:

Now my car was a total out of Illinois so this may not be the bumper that actually came on the car but its the one I'd like to replace it with. Any idea how to get a hold of one? If anybody has a part # for this it would be much appreciated. Or if anybody knows whether I can get one on Ebay or not?
Gonna help you out here. That grille with the ss is called an SLP grille. It is detachable from the bumper. So take it off the old bumper and put it in the place of an emblem on a new one using 3M tape. Someone bought the front cover I was gonna show you so sorry about that but ill keep looking. Search the forum for SLP grille if you want to learn more about it.

Edit: Here you go, would need painted and the like http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bumper-C...-/350873206441

Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Personally, I understand the concern of the guy getting fired over an accident like this and not wanting to put the guy in unemployment, but if this is not reported to his company, you run the risk of him jerking you around.
Towing companies have INSURANCE for these issues. Therefore, the towing company had a mishapp, they tell you to take it to a body shop, the shop fixes it and the bill goes to their insurance.

Plus, you MIGHT have more wrong then the cover. Such as:
- Sounds like you had an aftermarket SLP grill, that needs addressed
- There are plastic supports that are under the cover, those may be damaged
- Damage to inner wheel skirts that bolt to the cover
- Damage to fog lights if you have them
- Possible damage to the front impact bar

Again, I understand NOT wanting to see the guy get fired, but my car vs a stranger that did not do his job right? Not just that, you are now trying to source the parts that a body shop could be doing.

The other issue is, if they are going to fire him over a mistake, how many other times has he made these mistakes and how many more will he continue to make?

If you still want to let this guy pay out of his pocket, fine, but I'd tell him, I'm dropping it off at a body shop, you will take care of the body shop bill.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:41 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Personally, I understand the concern of the guy getting fired over an accident like this and not wanting to put the guy in unemployment, but if this is not reported to his company, you run the risk of him jerking you around.
Towing companies have INSURANCE for these issues. Therefore, the towing company had a mishapp, they tell you to take it to a body shop, the shop fixes it and the bill goes to their insurance.

Again, I understand NOT wanting to see the guy get fired, but my car vs a stranger that did not do his job right? Not just that, you are now trying to source the parts that a body shop could be doing.

The other issue is, if they are going to fire him over a mistake, how many other times has he made these mistakes and how many more will he continue to make?

If you still want to let this guy pay out of his pocket, fine, but I'd tell him, I'm dropping it off at a body shop, you will take care of the body shop bill.
X2 sometimes you have to watch out for yourself unfortunatley.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Gonna help you out here. That grille with the ss is called an SLP grille. It is detachable from the bumper. So take it off the old bumper and put it in the place of an emblem on a new one using 3M tape. Someone bought the front cover I was gonna show you so sorry about that but ill keep looking. Search the forum for SLP grille if you want to learn more about it.

Edit: Here you go, would need painted and the like New Bumper Cover Facial Front Primered Chevy Monte Carlo 2004 GM1000587 12335836 | eBay
OK now I see why I couldn't find it. So the "grille" part with the SS simply gets attached to the whole "bumper"/"underskirt". OK now I got it. Thanks for the link and the tip.

Well its actually not gonna be as bad for him as he thought I don't think. I talked to my nephew last night and I ended up having to report it. He said its not just the bumper that's broke but actually what it mounts to is screwed up. He said he could fix it temporarily but it would look like hell and would likely fall apart again as soon as winter came and I hit a snow bank or anything.

The guy was kind of an @ss at first last night telling me "Well I'll lose my damn job". Its like yeah I'm sorry dude but I'm not the one that screwed up somebodies car and you need to be careful in what your doing and pay attention in the future.

So yeah its reported and it actually comes off MY insurance not the towing companies or his. Kind of a strange deal if you ask me but I live in Michigan (no fault insurance) so that stipulates that its basically "not his fault" even though it is. The only good thing is it doesn't affect my rates because I'm deemed "not at fault" too and the deductible is waived.

I got a buddy that I went to school with that owns a body shop and he works closely with the garage where my nephew works so I'll let him do the repair.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:26 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by michelob

OK now I see why I couldn't find it. So the "grille" part with the SS simply gets attached to the whole "bumper"/"underskirt". OK now I got it. Thanks for the link and the tip.

Well its actually not gonna be as bad for him as he thought I don't think. I talked to my nephew last night and I ended up having to report it. He said its not just the bumper that's broke but actually what it mounts to is screwed up. He said he could fix it temporarily but it would look like hell and would likely fall apart again as soon as winter came and I hit a snow bank or anything.

The guy was kind of an @ss at first last night telling me "Well I'll lose my damn job". Its like yeah I'm sorry dude but I'm not the one that screwed up somebodies car and you need to be careful in what your doing and pay attention in the future.

So yeah its reported and it actually comes off MY insurance not the towing companies or his. Kind of a strange deal if you ask me but I live in Michigan (no fault insurance) so that stipulates that its basically "not his fault" even though it is. The only good thing is it doesn't affect my rates because I'm deemed "not at fault" too and the deductible is waived.

I got a buddy that I went to school with that owns a body shop and he works closely with the garage where my nephew works so I'll let him do the repair.
That michigan no fault insurance is wack! Screwed my sister out of payment for her lancer when someone rear ended her and totaled the car. But glad you getting your car fixed!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear this is reported and should now be on the road to being fixed RIGHT.

And I agree, this "no fault" setup is a crock. Seriously, someone causes an accident, how do you go "no fault" and stick or screw people out of money for replacing/repairing cars and such. It sounds about as logical as having sporting events where no one keeps score so everyone is a winner. BLAH!!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
1 Year Member

Glad to hear this is reported and should now be on the road to being fixed RIGHT.

And I agree, this "no fault" setup is a crock. Seriously, someone causes an accident, how do you go "no fault" and stick or screw people out of money for replacing/repairing cars and such. It sounds about as logical as having sporting events where no one keeps score so everyone is a winner. BLAH!!
^ This just yes hahah!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM

I was here in this thread too - <- SEE!

No but seriously, that sucks bro, hope you get it fixed. Dont let david drive your car, mightve ended with more than just losing a bumper from towing...lol ahahahah

Just messin with you d ! lol

Quick Reply: Bumper?