Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Black headlight covers........

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Question Black headlight covers........

my son is looking for some. He wants the ones that "snap on", the way I understood him. WHERE did you find some, and what did they cost ??

I had seen some that said they were, "NOT STREET LEGAL".

SO, any input would be helpful.

Thanx,

Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For a 5th gen? If so I've got some for sale in the FS section.

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-covers-32268/

They are not street legal. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have them on and drive at the same time. Not only that, but they decrease light output A LOT. I see a lot of cars with them on regardless, but only in the day time.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM

i used to have some on my 6th gen, bought them from carID.com for like 55$. they snaped on but one of the clips broke after about 6 months so i took them off. i do live in florida, so the heat might have gotten to them and they are pretty tight. so maybe heat and stress just got the best of them. . BUT they are illegal in every state. because the light output is absolutely awful! unless your running HIDs in fog lights and in the head lights i don't recommend driving at night.. you could take them off but thats a PITA to do everytime you drive at night. i never got pulled over for having them. i was even pulled over for something else while i had blacked out tail light and head light covers and they didn't say anything. i still have blacked out tail lights so you might be able to get away with it like i have. but YES they are illegal

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 AM

honestly you wouldnt want to put headlight ones on. the covers decrease the light output by alot. My son has VHT Niteshades on his tail lights and they didnt really change the light output.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM

Are you sure they're illegal in every state? They blacked out headlight covers seem to be a huge hit with the 03 and under grand prixs here and they never remove them, and i cant say as ive noticed any of them being pulled over for it, just wondering if that was meant for every state. I personally wouldnt want them I kinda wanna get a 2nd pair of tail lights I was thiunking the LEDs but I dont drive a lot at night where they really get a show so might pick up some junk ones and a can of nightshade and see how that goes.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM

im pretty sure they are. i have seen on many forums and VHT DIY threads of people being pulled over. i never took mine off.. even when i had no fog lights or HIDs and i must say i couldnt see anything. if any one is unsure if its illegal you ask an officer or check the DMV online. it usually says something like "it is against the law to prohibit any amount of light on the head lights or tail lights of a motor vehicle". or something a long those lines.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 AM

That is what I wondered about. If they were too dark, to be legal. I was wondering about the "smoked" shades, since the "black ones" aren't acceptable. I/he don't need cop trouble.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM

if you want to just "smoke" them. you can VHT night shade them and basically get any shade you want. you dont have the luxury of taking them off though.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Ohh I don't doubt for a bit it'd be illegal I was just questioning it because the cops here love to give tickets and it has never seemed to be a problem around here, BUT at the same time the cops here are lazy and will pull you over for having the music slightly loud but will not pull over the many and i mean many cars that drive around town/highway with only one headlight, most of them that are missing one are busted out from deer accidents I suppose

Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM

yes they are the same way down here too.. i think with covers. all you will get is a warning cause while hes talking to you, you can just pop them off in less then a few minutes.. i hate it when people only have one tail light. i see those all the time for some reason. so id rather be behind someone with tail light covers then one tail light

Quick Reply: Black headlight covers........