Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Anyone else?: Rust rot developing in rear fender well lip

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Default Anyone else?: Rust rot developing in rear fender well lip

Anyone else experiencing Rust and rotting spots developing in rear fender well lip?

Live in NY, so guess the road salt and sand finally got to it...

I have one area thats beat up, with metal flaking inside the fender well lip, and stretching to the outside with the paint bubbling and cracking off... in a 4 inch diameter section.

How do they fix this? Bondo and respray?

Think the cost or repair is worth it on a 2003 daily driver with 70 k mmiles?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

thats the usual spot for rust!
Depends if its just surface rust or if they need to patch it.
Patching would cost a bit more.
Hope you figure it out! rust spreads quick so id fix it asap!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

if it's surface rust they can probably grind it down and primer and repaint, but if it's all the way through they're going to need to cut the section out and weld a new piece in.

It can get expensive and some shops won't even do it because in most cases, rust will come back where it has already started and most shops won't want to warranty their work on stuff like that, because rust is pretty difficult to work with and fix right.

I would shop around and see what they all think.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by jeffsmonte
Anyone else experiencing Rust and rotting spots developing in rear fender well lip?

Live in NY, so guess the road salt and sand finally got to it...

I have one area thats beat up, with metal flaking inside the fender well lip, and stretching to the outside with the paint bubbling and cracking off... in a 4 inch diameter section.

How do they fix this? Bondo and respray?

Think the cost or repair is worth it on a 2003 daily driver with 70 k mmiles?

Hess, my 01 Monte SS is doing the exact same thing and I take care of the car big time.. But if there was rust starting from the other owner.. Don't know, but yes, it's happening to mine.. As for "Is it worth it to fix on an 03 with 70K?". Heck yea it is.. Sweet car, I'm doing it to mine and it has over 214,000 on it !
There are a number of ways to repair this, Bondo, Fibroglass, Metal, Solder, etc... It will need to be sanded until ALL the rust Is gone, after that, you will need to decide what way you are gonna repair it, most use Bondo, then it will need primed, sanded, primed, scuffed, Painted, clear coated, wet sanded, then buffed out.. Will look like brand new if done correctly and you paint to a line in the paint or edge of a body panel so it will blend better.. JMHO..... Good luck, let me know what you decide to do, post some pics of before and after.. Thanks.. Mjc..