Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

2006 SS Grille--Diagram or OEM replacements??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2006 SS Grille--Diagram or OEM replacements??

In the process of working with a company to create the prototype for a stainless steel wire mesh grille for our cars (2006 Monte Carlo SS specifically)

To see if this is possible however, they need my grille assembly in their shop. Due to school I can't send my grille assembly to them now to see if this will work.
I've considered buying an OEM replacement and just sending it to them that way I could keep my grille assembly on my car, however if they cannot do the project then I would be stuck with a spare grille assembly. Thinking about this more, I thought maybe I could send them a diagram of the grille assembly to see if they can tell if it would be possible, however I cannot find a suitable diagram.

That being said, anyone know where the cheapest OEM replacement would be for the grille assembly, best I've found so far is eBay, if the price is reasonable I may still buy one and if it works it does and if not it doesn't. Or would anyone have a diagram saved or know where one would be that I could send to the company to try that route?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

here is a diagram, I doubt it's what you're looking for though? But I've had this on my list of things to do to my LT, change out my grille for the SS...

Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 PM

I found one similar to this, it may work, but I'm not sure if it would be detailed enough for them to know if it they will be able to work with it or not, but thats right up there with the best ones I was able to find.
Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
here is a diagram, I doubt it's what you're looking for though? But I've had this on my list of things to do to my LT, change out my grille for the SS...

Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should see if you can find one that is a bit damaged at a Junkyard or somewhere like that. As long as it's mostly intact they should be able to use it for a pattern. It may be a longshot but you never know. If it is something unusable they may give it to you cheap Or even free.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:42 PM

I'll have to look into this, I think your on to a good idea here, and may even be able to find one that is intact cheap as well.

Originally Posted by lougreen03
You should see if you can find one that is a bit damaged at a Junkyard or somewhere like that. As long as it's mostly intact they should be able to use it for a pattern. It may be a longshot but you never know. If it is something unusable they may give it to you cheap Or even free.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM

let us know when you find out anything from that company.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM

Will do, the longest part of the process for me will be having time to send them my grille assembly or find one cheap enough to send them and have my current as a spare, or incase it doesn't work, but I will definitely keep you guys here updated on what I find out. I personally think that the billet grilles made for our cars aren't all that great, and most are bolt over applications.
Originally Posted by Montecarloguy07
let us know when you find out anything from that company.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM

Hi there! This is my first time posting on here, so please be kind. Just bought a 2006 Monte Carlo SS...sweet ride! Looking to do some very minor modifications to her. I've seen the small, upper mesh grille for sale, but not the lower one. Why? Going halfway just seems wrong to me. My question is this: Will it be cost prohibitive to make a prototype, then develop it into a production model that is still affordable? Can't see spending a small fortune, when other styles on the market are not that expensive. By the way, the grill I mentioned is a bolt over, not an actual replacement. Since we're on the subject, why is it nearly impossible to find Monte Carlo emblems, like 5.3 V8, or Monte Carlo letters for behind the doors, like on earlier models? I just don't get it.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM

The bolt over mesh or billet grilles that I have seen do in fact only do the top portion of the grille. I however did not find any of these to my liking, and just don't think they look clean and well done, like they are meant to be there. I havn't made much more progress with seeing if the company I have been talking to can in fact work with our stock grille's and apply their custom work due to school/money/time issues with getting my grille to them and or finding a replacement to send them to check out. It would be significantly more costly, as they quoted me $300-400 for the first one that I would get. This would be uppper and lower.

As far as the emblems I'm sure somewhere is making aftermarket ones from older models, ebay may be a good place to check if you are looking to add emblems to your monte.

Originally Posted by My Deuce Coupe
Hi there! This is my first time posting on here, so please be kind. Just bought a 2006 Monte Carlo SS...sweet ride! Looking to do some very minor modifications to her. I've seen the small, upper mesh grille for sale, but not the lower one. Why? Going halfway just seems wrong to me. My question is this: Will it be cost prohibitive to make a prototype, then develop it into a production model that is still affordable? Can't see spending a small fortune, when other styles on the market are not that expensive. By the way, the grill I mentioned is a bolt over, not an actual replacement. Since we're on the subject, why is it nearly impossible to find Monte Carlo emblems, like 5.3 V8, or Monte Carlo letters for behind the doors, like on earlier models? I just don't get it.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 AM

Thanks DuSSt...you'll have to keep me posted on the grille situation. I bought some OEM trunk letters for an '06. Hoping they won't look too small behind the doors. Also found a place that makes custom letters/numbers for the 5.3 V8 logo. They are 1.2" tall as opposed to the OEM letters that are .8" tall. I think they'll blend nicely.