Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:38 PM

I have a 07 ss with 60000 miles and just my passenger side is starting to rust at the same spot.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:10 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PityOnU
Just had this on my 2007 Monte Carlo SS. Both wheel wells in the rear are starting to go. To echo what other people here have said, the only fix for this is to cut out the affected area, weld new metal in its place, and paint the area to match.

Took it to a local place today (that has a good reputation according to Angie's List), and to do the above they quoted me $1,000 even. Seems to match up with what others here are saying. A lot of work for the price!

Both the shop owner and the welding-master-guy stressed, however, that even with the fix it is only a matter of time before the rust returns. Couple of years, max. Informed members of this community: what is the actual, final solution to this problem? Replacing the entire rear frame of the car?

What does this involve, exactly? Also, how often need it be done? My '07 is my daily driver, even during winter, so it will be needing all the protection it can get.

Hey there,

My car is at the body shop right now for the rear passenger wheel well lip issue.

I was quoted right around the same price you were. However, I was told that by replacing the metal properly it will be a lot more than a couple years before it ever returns, if it does at all. If you have the area oil sprayed right after the repair you should be okay. If you do not have the metal replaced and simply have it sanded down and re-painted then I can see it returning.

The problem is with the design of the wheel well lip and how the water becomes trapped. If you feel the lip you can see what I mean.

Weird how some people get it and some don't. I met a guy recently who drives throughout the winter and has no rust while somehow I do and its not ever winter driven.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by bigjon30
I have a 07 ss with 60000 miles and just my passenger side is starting to rust at the same spot.

yep everybody on the passenger side. very weird.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 AM

I wanted to add that the 2006 I thought about purchasing... I purchased!

The only flaw on the whole car is, you guessed it, that little spot on the passenger side inner fender this whole discussion is dedicated to.

Someone has filled the gap, only likely worsening moisture retention. It looks good, but I can't help but wonder about what I can't see. I'll be taking it to my favorite body shop in the area for an opinion.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 AM

I took mine in for a quote. Fix both rear fenders with metal, paint and the hood sanded and painted, came to 2,294. He's going to do it for 2000 cash. So both rear fenders by themselves about 1500.
Oshawa body shop, Albert St. Seems reputable. I looked at some other cars they repaired and painted, looks good.
Right now, my son-in-law is driving it while his car needs new gas line. So, taking it in late July and picking it up fixed August 1st. Meanwhile, I'm piling up the miles on the Camaro.
I'll take some before and after pics.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I think I'm going to wait at least a few more years to have mine repaired (old metal cut out and new welded in place). Mine isn't too bad right now so I feel comfortable holding out for a little while. From some of the quotes I've seen mentioned, having just the fender lip on one side done shouldn't be too bad cost-wise but I don't want to dump the money into it right now.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 06-30-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:35 PM

Just purchased a 2007 with rust rippling the lip over back passenger tire area. Paint starting to bubble. Only bad spot on the whole car. 50,000 miles. Is pretty clean. Wondering if it would be better fixing now or when it gets visible. You can't really see it if your not looking for it. What have you done with your Monte? Thanks

Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloREBEL
Just purchased a 2007 with rust rippling the lip over back passenger tire area. Paint starting to bubble. Only bad spot on the whole car. 50,000 miles. Is pretty clean. Wondering if it would be better fixing now or when it gets visible. You can't really see it if your not looking for it. What have you done with your Monte? Thanks
Depends what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to keep it long term, fix it asap before it spreads and makes the job worse.

If you're just keeping the car a couple years u til you get something else, I'd just leave it. To fix it right will either be expensive or time consuming (depending if you do it yourself or take it to a body shop).

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2007MonteCarloREBEL
Where are you located? At 50k miles it sounds like that car wasn't driven much by whoever owned it previously. If it's not really visible now I'd leave it but there's a couple things to consider - (1) will it be a year-round daily driver that will see rain and snow and (2) how long you intend to keep the car? If you'll be driving it in rain (definitely snow/salt) the rust is definitely going to spread a lot quicker. I try not to drive mine in the rain (sees rain maybe 3 times a year at most) and it's stored during winter and hasn't seen snow/salt in seven years so that has helped my case tremendously. Eight years after purchase mine's still not that bad - you wouldn't know it's there unless you're right there looking for it - sounds like your situation too.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 08-28-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

Matt why are all these cars rusting?

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): 06 ss rusting out at rear wheelwell