Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

06-07 taillight tinting idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool 06-07 taillight tinting idea

Alright ladies and gents, i was looking at my taillights the other day and contemplating blacking them out when i had an idea. Has anyone ever cracked open the 06-07 tails and:

1. Painted all the inside chrome pieces that don't actually reflect the bulb's light black, and or
2. tinted just the inside of the lens?

I realize that you wouldn't be able to go as dark as some people want, but i think a dark red look could be achieved this way. Also, by painting the chrome black, you may be able to go a lot lighter on the spray tint thus allowing more light through the lens. I also thought it might be cool to leave the "circle" on the inside of the tail light untinted and black out the rest of the inside of the lens.

Feed back? Do you think this might look cool? Will it give the desired look?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 PM

I tinted out my brake lights on both my 2001 Monte Carlo & 1994 Camaro. In my opinion it looks great! I was contemplating buying LED tail lights for my Monte Carlo but now won't be purchasing those after tinting the stock tail lights. I used VHT Nite Shades. You can purchase it from any auto performance store or eBay. Definitely an inexpensive mod that looks great!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 PM

I just did the niteshades on my tail lights and my reverse lights... looks great and the light goes right through i was really surprised!! Im contemplating doing a light coat on the front emblem when i get my JDM black headlights...

Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks for the replys, guys, but maybe i wasn't clear enough about what i was thinking about doing. Let me elaborate. I am familier with the vht niteshades on the outside of the lens and then clearing over it. I was looking to a "more legal" approach to darkening the tail lights. (i am tired of getting pulled over!)

if you look at a 2006-07 tail light, the red lens is transparent and you can see that the inside is chrome. This i what gives it a "jewel" look. If you paint the chrome inside the tail light black, in theory, the light should look tinted from the outside. It would not decrease light output at all. Does that make sense?

Then (part 2 from original post) i thought, why not mask off (from the inside of the lens), the red circles and "vht" the rest of the inside of the lens. That way, your lights still shine through the circles on the lens which are not tinted, but the rest of the light is "blacked out".

Tinting the inside of the light would allow the outside to look factory perfect. There would be no need for clear coat or wet sanding to achieve the shiny finish on the outside.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good luck opening them. I personally am not a fan of opening the tails or head lights. Breaking that original seal could cause plenty of problems in the long-run with moisture and condensation.

If you can do it, I would say pick up a spare tail and try it out off the car. Break it open and play with it, and see if you like it.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know what you're talking about doing. I'm not so sure it would look that good. But I'd have to see it to really say for sure.

The clear plastic lenses on my factory 2004 tail lights are coming apart. I can see where the factory tape has let go, and is pulled away from the clear lens.

I bought a can of VHT Nightshades, and plan to tint the lenses from the inside since their coming apart anyway. That way I shouldn't have to worry about clear coating. Hopefully.

My question is to anyone who has taken their factory 6th gen lenses apart. I haven't taken my lenses apart yet. What kind of tape or sealer did you use to re-attach the lens to the rest of the tail light?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

i need to crack mine open & reseal them, but mine are tinted lightly & u can see the inside pretty good but it still looks black

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i think mine is still too light i need to make them darker, lol

Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 PM

you can do that, but what you really want is LED tails. so save up for um.

really i see vht'ed tails on every car on the road. its kinda played. i vht'ed my reverse lights and am impressed with the apperence and very disapointed with the preformance.

in other words looks great, lights up s***y.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:54 PM

wow silver, you even vht'ed your licence plate. thats hardcore. any problems with the police or do you just mash the gas when you see flashing lights???

Quick Reply: 06-07 taillight tinting idea