Other Professional Racing.. Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

= = Leonardo DiCaprio Co-Founds Electric Auto Racing Team = =

Old 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool = = Leonardo DiCaprio Co-Founds Electric Auto Racing Team = =

Leonardo DiCaprio Co-Founds Electric Auto Racing Team

Posted on 10 December 2013 by George Kennedy

Leonardo DiCaprio raised eyebrows several years ago when he arrived at the Oscars not in an Escalade or stretch limo, but in a Toyota Prius. It was his announcement to the world of his commitment to the environment. Years later and DiCaprio is looking for more ways to show his support for environmentally friendly causes, and has just done so by funding an electric racing team.
As we’ve covered previously, Formula E is a new FIA-sanctioned electric racing series. It has attracted the likes of Richard Branson, who is fielding a Virgin Racing team, as well as noted electric/hybrid racing outfit Drayson Racing.
RELATED: Formula E – Zero-Emission Posturing or the Future of Racing?
According to Pistonheads.com,DiCaprio has backed Venturi racing, which is also working on a 3,000-horsepower electric land speed record car. The Formula E car will be less powerful but should be just as exciting as ten teams (with two cars per team) take to the streets of London, Beijing, Los Angeles, Miami, Rome, Berlin, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Putrajaya (Malaysia), and Bangkok throughout the 2014 inaugural season.

“The future of our planet depends on our ability to embrace fuel-efficient, clean-energy vehicles,” said DiCaprio of the eco-minded racing series. “Venturi Grand Prix has shown tremendous foresight in their decision to create an environmentally friendly racing team, and I am happy to be a part.”
RELATED: George Clooney Unhappy with Tesla
Racing has been known to push forward the cutting edge of motoring technology, as it did with conventional powertrains throughout the majority of the 20th century. Here’s hoping that DiCaprio’s participation in Formula E will raise awareness and credibility for the upstart electric racing series as it seeks to push development of EVs.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-15-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to research these things some more. I have never heard of the series. But I've found that the biggest problem with electric racers is that they make no sound. And its funny how important that is. You don't notice how much you need the noise until you are watching them in silence. But I've seen lots of electric drag racing and it is boring - I think it's just because they are too quiet.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 AM

Thanks 'Brent for your words. Yes, I love the sounds of a powerful fuel burning engine > It's music

I don't want to say I got a bigger/faster battery then U 'do Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee = = = = = == =

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-16-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:07 AM

10 Year Member

I remember seeing something like that sound maker on an episode of Pimp My Ride. They were doing up a Caravan or some kind of minivan and they mounted 3 external subwoofers under the back of the van. They had a control box inside which they could select all sorts of different car sounds. The thing was wired through the throttle position sensor, so it acted perfect and sounding like a Ferrari. It just didn't seem practical enough to me as 3 downward mounted subwoofers under a car in Canada would be destroyed almost instantly. But I suppose it would hold up in California.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Hi 'Brent,
I tried to find that 'vid on Pimp my Ride but couldn't
I did find the below
EnJoy > Comments > Please > Thank You!
How To: Make A V6 Sound Like A V8 In 3 Easy Steps

Old 12-16-2013, 07:41 AM

10 Year Member

That, in no way, sounds like a V8

Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar View Post
That, in no way, sounds like a V8

LOL > LOL , it all depends on what U R Smok'in no, it don't sound like a V8
It did fill in some empty 'space (LOL) and keeps our forum active (LOL)...
*I promised 'Space that I would do my best to keep our forum active...LOL

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-16-2013 at 07:49 AM.