Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Year...2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The Year...2010

So how would you guys sum up 2010 as a year so far? With it coming to a close (you know Christmas is one month from now) how do you feel the year went?

Did you prosper? Did the year get to you financially?

I know for me, 2010 was one of the worst I've ever had. So many family & friends passed away this year.

Financially it's been bad too. My g/f Debbie has only worked half the year. And her unemployment only pays 2/3rds her normal pay. That hasn't stopped the bills from piling up.

What about you guys?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:59 AM

I would have to say mine just about sucked as well. Lost my job, ran out of money to build my house, and now looking at moving away from my family to find work. On top of that I have 100k in student loans, that only god knows how I am going to pay for. To top it off the year ended with losing my Grandpa who was like a father to me. Space says to be thankful to be alive and I am, but something has got to change.

Last edited by Teacher; 11-26-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

2010 was a mix for me. First moving to Vegas from Oklahoma. Then getting into an accident that wiped out Turtle. Only to find out that she had no insurance and no job. So that was a total loss. But it started to get better. I re-connected with my Family and now have my Mom living with us cause she got tired of all the crap in LA.

Being on Unemployment is not easy when you have a family and there are over 500 people trying to get the ONE job opening.

I've had a few friends pass away this year and some that have moved away and have not from since. But all in all, it was ok.

I just hope 2011 gets better for us here at Casa de JJ.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Well I can't say it's been the worst year in my life. I've had better. With us trying to move to a warmer climate & the housing falling way below par! Were stuck here in Mn for another cold season. But were making the most of it. But I can Thank my Blessings. My whole family have their Health. All my Grand kids are in good health. Everyone has a job. My wife is finally going to retire. I have beautiful HOT RODS . That also bring joy into my life. When my wife & Grand kids are not around. I have most of the comforts of home. To keep me happy.. All my toys are in working order! Life is good so far this year. I hope next spring we can finally make the move to a warmer state. Thats the only thing on my list for next year. Well for now anyways.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Not to bad, there were rumors of serious layoffs in my place, but those have all been put on hold, so we get to worry about our jobs just like every other year.lol.

Looking for a house for a while, found one I liked only to be notified someone bidded on it a week before I got there and it was sold....discouraging, but I get to save more money towards one in 2011 and now I know what type of house I am looking for.

Finally got my suspension work done in the gto...and finally got all the kinks out on the monte, and it's been superb knock on wood...

Not to much heartache from ex gf's and no really knew ones which could be a good thing...

Other then that lotsa car shows, pictures, good times with friends

Hopeing to build on all this come 2011 so all in all not a bad year at all. I am lucky.

Joe

Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 PM
rj
15 Year Member

My g/f Debbie has been looking for a second job with no luck. It's really depressing her. I remind her there are 5,000,000 people with no job today. Every one of those wants the same job she's trying to get. (well maybe not all of them)

But it could be employers are looking to hire with no job, versus people who currently have one and are looking for a second job?

I do have a lot to the thankful for. It's hard to remember a lot of these things when we're at another friend's funeral.

I look to 2011 being a better year.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by rj
But it could be employers are looking to hire with no job, versus people who currently have one and are looking for a second job?
I think that's true. I have a job but it's a very crappy job with no benefits - it does offer health insurance, but I have to pay 100% and is still way to expensive. So I applied for a 2nd job in retail and I didn't get hired - not even for holiday help.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:42 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Amy thats what Debbie tried as well.

Debbie is a good customer at the local Hallmark store. Months ago she asked the manager if she'd hire her? She was told fill out and application and she would get a call. Here it is almost december and no word.

I work with a guy who also works at Sears. He told me to come in and fill out an application cause he knew they were hiring. So I send Debbie in. So far no word from them either.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM

It was a wonderful year for us. My son was born on Sept. 8th, our first. I got a promotion at work and everyone in our family is alive and mostly well. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer and will be going through chemo very soon so we are all praying for him.