Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Would You like to have this button on your 'ride ? <

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking >Would You like to have this button on your 'ride ? <

What does this insanely awesome button do?

By Joe Bruzek | Cars.com –
Has anyone ever drove one like the below with the Button ? What other vehicle's have them ?
Please post 'if you know ? (I don't) (I think I'd rather do it myself (?) Instead of having electronics do it for me ? What do U think ?

This story originally appeared on Yahoo Autos in June 2013, and was one of the most popular pieces we ran this year.
The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is home to perhaps one of the most appropriate buttons we've encountered in the What Does This Button Do? series. Mysterious buttons are rarely spelled out as clearly as the Jeep SRT8's, or as fun to use.
By spelled out, we mean the whole word, "Launch," appears on the button to designate the 470-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Jeep SRT8's Launch Mode. There are no acronyms or guessing with this button. What the button does is also made clearer by the awesome depiction of a drag strip's starting-line lights, aka a "Christmas tree."

[Related: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, a ‘shine runner’s dream: Motoramic TV] < Click for Vid + MoonShine Runner ?

Jeep's launch control is standard on SRT8s for consistent, enhanced fast starts of the high-performance SUV. Launch Mode brings the engine, suspension, transmission and driveline together for fast launches from a standstill by revving the engine at a standstill and launching the 5,000-pound SUV like a rocket.

To activate, Jeep's instructions say the SUV must be stopped on a level surface before fully depressing the brake pedal - while in Drive - and then pressing the Launch button. While holding the brake, mash the accelerator pedal to the floor within a half-second and the engine will rev to a predetermined rpm. Once the engine speed is up, all the driver has to do is lift the brake and the SRT8 launches perfectly every time.

Cars.com reviewer Aaron Bragman tested the SRT8's Launch Mode at the vehicle's introduction:

"Jeep rates the SRT Grand Cherokee at 4.8 seconds from zero to 60 mph, but I discovered that this is a conservative figure: Using the SRT's onboard software and a special launch button, I was able to consistently rip off 4.5-second zero-to-60 times, and SRT engineers say that they've been able to achieve 60 mph in 4.2 seconds under perfect conditions."

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 12-27-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:35 AM
Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

Ha nice topic, something one does not see in the lower end cars. It's basically a rev limiter and helps rookies like myself launch so were not breaking the tires loose right out of the gate. Bet the stock Jeep AWD SRT8 gets a few peoples notice when they see her take off from the line.

And interestingly enough my Monte has a Launch Control button as well, hey hey what can I say, I'm a rookie at the track.

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 12-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Ha nice topic, something one does not see in the lower end cars. It's basically a rev limiter and helps rookies like myself launch so were not breaking the tires loose right out of the gate. Bet the stock Jeep AWD SRT8 gets a few peoples notice when they see her take off from the line.

And interestingly enough my Monte has a Launch Control button as well, hey hey what can I say, I'm a rookie at the track.
That's cool! Greg what's nice about your car is that I can look at everything you've done and imagine it in my car, beacuse before all the mods we were the same well that and you know the built turbo chraged power plant you have....

I don't think I need a launch controller. I just mash the gas and go! Haha. Not to much racing for me, but I do like a good tire smoke to impress the ladies
Just a side note, that "ding ding ding" when you press the trac off button, I call that my "grab your **** warning"

Old 12-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can't wait to try that button one day.....

Joe

Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
That's cool! Greg what's nice about your car is that I can look at everything you've done and imagine it in my car, beacuse before all the mods we were the same well that and you know the built turbo chraged power plant you have....

I don't think I need a launch controller. I just mash the gas and go! Haha. Not to much racing for me, but I do like a good tire smoke to impress the ladies
Just a side note, that "ding ding ding" when you press the trac off button, I call that my "grab your **** warning"
Hey hi Dave, I hear you, we did have the same Monte configuration. When I see old photos of my Monte, I sometimes wished I had left her that way, more trouble free for sure. Yet now when I get behind the wheel I'm actually happy it's not stock. Keep chipping away at your Monte and she will evolve and take on her own unique persona. Thats whats fun, no 2 are ever the same, interesting to see how we all inject our own quirks into the build.

ZZP sells a Traction ControlOff bypass which I actually have installed. Upon starting your car the TC is automatically switched off, no more overlooking that particular aspect when staging. See the link below for a description of it. But I did chuckle when you described what it meant to you hearing the ding ding ding.

Easy Performance - Auto Off TCS Module #EP-AUTO-TCS-97-03-GP

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montess2k
I can't wait to try that button one day.....

Joe
If we were to run into each other I would let you give her a go, would like to see what other Monte owners think of this build.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
1 Year Member

Hey hi Dave, I hear you, we did have the same Monte configuration. When I see old photos of my Monte, I sometimes wished I had left her that way, more trouble free for sure. Yet now when I get behind the wheel I'm actually happy it's not stock. Keep chipping away at your Monte and she will evolve and take on her own unique persona. Thats whats fun, no 2 are ever the same, interesting to see how we all inject our own quirks into the build.

ZZP sells a Traction ControlOff bypass which I actually have installed. Upon starting your car the TC is automatically switched off, no more overlooking that particular aspect when staging. See the link below for a description of it. But I did chuckle when you described what it meant to you hearing the ding ding ding.

Easy Performance - Auto Off TCS Module #EP-AUTO-TCS-97-03-GP
Im going to have to look into that. For now however the trac control is probably better to have on beacue it activates pretty easy on snow (and heading to my parents house on that icey gravel hill) I'd rather miss a launch than a curve on that hill.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 PM
Monte Of The Year 2012
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Im going to have to look into that. For now however the trac control is probably better to have on beacue it activates pretty easy on snow (and heading to my parents house on that icey gravel hill) I'd rather miss a launch than a curve on that hill.
Ha I hear you, better to know the TC is doing it's job and not lose Red over something silly. One day you may be able to tuck her away and it can be modded out something crazy. You could always buy a surplus army tank for those adverse driving conditions.

Name:  thumbnailCA1OBHWD.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  7.9 KB

Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM
1 Year Member

Ha I hear you, better to know the TC is doing it's job and not lose Red over something silly. One day you may be able to tuck her away and it can be modded out something crazy. You could always buy a surplus army tank for those adverse driving conditions.
Actually hoping to get her put away next fall! If all goes well. That just reminds me that in case of apocalypse I discvered their is a well stocked army reserve post about 5 blocks from my house. Not a big base, but has a few strikers. Maybe Ill get one from there... haha

Quick Reply: >Would You like to have this button on your 'ride ? <