Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Would you Drive/Buy One ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Would you Drive/Buy One ?

Is this our future type of transportation ?
Would you drive/buy one ?
Post your thoughts/comments
If you had to drive a super tiny car, what would
you buy/drive ? Post `it
Below is a Test by MotorWeek

ENGINE: 1.8-liter I-4
HORSEPOWER: 122
TORQUE: 127 lb feet
EPA: 28 mpg city/ 30 mpg highway
0-60 MPH (Still work'in on it : )
2009 Nissan Cube
Program #2838

For over 10 years now, the Nissan Cube has thrived as one of Japan's favorite little city cruisers, and while small, boxy Asian imports like the Scion xB, the Honda Element, and most recently, the Kia Soul, have scored well with US buyers, the Cube has stubbornly stayed away, content with the Japanese market. But that's about to change!
The battle of the boxes is being joined by the third generation 2009 Nissan Cube. So, North American buyers finally get to see what all the hype is about.
Debuted at last fall's LA Auto Show, the latest Cube is built on a shortened version of the Nissan Versa's proven B-platform. Its 99.6-inch wheelbase adds little overhang for a concise 156.7 inches in overall length. That's shorter than similar boxy rivals.
Style-wise, what you have here is "hip meets geeky" in a sort of whimsical and cartoony way. With cues often attributed to its targeted young adult buyer, the Cube's face seems devoid of any real emotion. Its wide, blank headlamps and sterile grille exude ambiguity.
The Cube's latest low-hunkered slacker stance is actually an evolution of past models, with more curves, asymmetrical side-to-side glass treatment, and even a tail, taking the edges off the Cube's ultra-tall cabin.
The Cube finishes off its architecture with a swing-out rear door graced with a long, ovalish window. There's a lot of geometry happening here!
There are four Cube trim levels: base, S, SL, and Krom. Krom adds a number of eye-catching body treatments from front to rear.
The Cube's wheels measure 15 or 16 inches, in steel or aluminum.
Within, the Cube surprised us with a much airier and spacious feel than the exterior would indicate. The box, after all, is a most space-efficient shape. Beyond roominess, the Cube's 5-passenger interior has a nice, soft, yet minimalist feel to it. But, with a roundness that's different from the harder edged interiors of its rivals.
The upright dash houses gauges and controls that are somewhat simple in operation, but very modern in presentation. A perfect example being the circular climate control interface. Unfortunately, materials did feel a little on the bargain basement side.
But one of the most artistically design elements is the rippled roof-ceiling, which gives the illusion of a stone having been tossed into a glassy pond. This design is mimicked in the Cube's cup holders.
The Cube's seats are nicely stuffed to offer a cushy feel, and like with other urban-box rivals, they offer excellent positioning and visibility.
The driver takes command of this cubic wonder with a "just-the-right-size" steering wheel offering controls for audio and cruise.
Available user-friendly technologies include such goodies as Bluetooth, a Rockford Fosgate upgraded stereo - whose speakers also mimic the rippled design effect of the roof - and a handy iPod interface.
Occupant safety is delivered by six standard airbags.
The well done 60/40 split-rear bench seat both slides and reclines. So, while fit for three trim travelers, there is also more than enough room for a couple of relative giants.
But, open the tail door, which swings away from the curb for safe loading, you'll find only a stingy 11.4 cubic feet for cargo with all seats in use. That's a good deal less than rivals. But fold the second seat, and the Cube redeems itself with a solid 58.1 cubic feet of space.
For power, the front-drive Cube uses the Versa's 1.8-liter I-4 with 122 horsepower and 127 pound-feet of torque. We found it provided plenty of spunk for everyday commuting.
There's a choice of two transmissions: a 6-speed manual or CVT automatic.
Government Fuel Economy Ratings has not yet been released, but preliminary estimates are 28 city/30 highway on regular gas. We hope it turns out to be a bit better than that.
Appropriately for any city car, we first drove the Cube in and around the vibrant streets of Miami. Its front strut/rear torsion beam suspension yielded a comfortable ride, and was adequately responsive, but no handling star.
Still the Cube does what it is suppose to do. It shines in tight, slower-moving city traffic due to two things: concise size and its small 33.4 foot turning diameter. With its light touch electrically assisted steering, the Cube is a U-turn champ.
In faster traffic, the boxy shape takes its toll in wind noise and cross wind stability. Driving aids like stability and traction control, as well as ABS with Brake Assist for the disc/drum layout are standard.
To put this Cube on your street will require $14,710 to start, ranging to $20,090 for the top notch Krom trim. Like the Scion xB and Kia Soul, a thick catalogue of dealer installed accessories will be available. The 2009 Nissan Cube is a cool little people mover that has been buzzing around Japan for over a decade. Now, the Cube will join the ranks of small boxy imports that are attempting to gain big favor here. To that, we say, it's squarely about time.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I write this post finding my not being able to get On the Bandwagon. Its very small. They seem to be trying to get the youth to drive what the car company WANT then to drive. Its just not something that you might see me drive. I need my legroom and need more then just 11+ ft of cargo space.

I just cant get myself wrapped around this one.

Here is a pic of the front end they were mentioning above.

To me, its just plain and boring. Maybe with some accessories, but stock looks like its going to make you want to pull over and take a nap.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 AM

J.J., I'd buy one if they came with a ice maker
It looks like a `Fridge on Wheels
It does have over 58.a cubic inches of `Space
with the seats down : ) WoW....
I bet `Ice buys one
There sure are many auto companies making
smaller cars, but I don't think I would want to be
caught between 2 Semi's : )
Smashed Cubes 4 Sure : )

2009 Nissan Cube to Start at $13,990, Krom Model, Accessories Options Announced

Nissan has set initial pricing for its all-new 2009 Nissan Cube in advance of the Chicago show, with the hip to be square-shaped machine starting at $13,990 -- not including destination. In addition, the automaker has announced a new trim level called Krōm (pictured above) as well as a personalization program that's all the rage with vehicles aimed at the under 30 set.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

When it goes on sale in early May, the 2009 Cube will come in four trim levels -- Cube 1.8, Cube 1.8 S, Cube 1.8 SL and the just announced Cube 1.8 Krōm. Designed by Nissan North America's Specialty Vehicles Group, the Krōm (read: chrome) is essentially a tarted-up Cube adorned with a number of unique exterior and interior features.

The Cube Krōm starts off as a Cube S and is powered by the same 122-horsepower 1.8L DOHC inline four cylinder (projected fuel economy is around 30 mpg highway) mated to Nissan's Xtronic CVT transmission as the rest of the Cube lineup. The exterior Krōmization includes a three-bar chrome grille, two-bar chrome front bumper grille, and integrated front and rear fascias. The exterior flourishes also include special body side sills, a unique rear roof spoiler, exclusive 16-inch aluminum alloys, and of course, a Krōm rear emblem.

Inside, the Cube Krōm comes with Bluetooth and iPod connectivity, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, special interior fabrics, a six speaker sound system with a Rockford Fosgate subwoofer, titanium-look accents, aluminum trimmed pedals, and a 20-color interior illumination system.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

If the Krōm's not doing it for you, not a problem, because much like what Scion has done with its lineup, Nissan is aiming to provide prospective Cube buyers a wealth of add-on accessories designed to up the personalization factor and by extension the transaction price.

Nissan says Cube buyers will have more than 40 accessories to choose from, including the interior illumination kit that comes standard on the Krōm, as well as off-the-wall options like "**** carpeting" instrument panel inserts and "Front Door Bungees," elastic straps that slip into cutouts on the door armrests designed to help secure various items.

Other available interior accessories include illuminated stainless kick plates, drilled stainless pedal covers, a rear cargo area organizer, and various interior trim accents. Exterior add-ons include a front chin spoiler, rear underspoiler, side body sills, rear roof spoiler, 16-inch aluminum rims, nose mask, side window deflectors, a vehicle cover and fog lights. Nissan is also grouping a number of options into special packages called the Interior Designer Package, the Interior Illumination Package and the Ginormous Package, which of course will have a kitchen-sink's worth of options.

Nissan is also planning a "Reserve Your Cube" program in an effort to allow consumers to research and reserve the Cube of their choice. It is scheduled to begin later this month. Complete Cube model and option package pricing is coming soon.

For all the latest from the Chicago show floor, be sure to visit our 2009 Chicago Auto Show home page.

Last edited by Space; 05-24-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace
J.J., I'd buy one if they came with a ice maker
It looks like a `Fridge on Wheels
It does have over 58.a cubic inches of `Space
with the seats down : ) WoW....
I bet `Ice buys one
There sure are many auto companies making
smaller cars, but I don't think I would want to be
caught between 2 Semi's : )
Smashed Cubes 4 Sure : )

More like crushed ice.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I don't understand why these tiny turds of a vehicle can't get any mileage. 28-30???
IMO, something THAT sized should be getting 50-70mpg. Even the Smart car gets crap milage for it's size, and look at the reviews on that, it IS a crap car. You see TONS of T' Pruises out there, and for good reason. They are a well built car that averages 50mpg.

I talked with a lady yesterday at the show that drove her big '95 Caprice LT1 (do they get much bigger than that?) from Michigan to Florida 5 times, and the WORST mileage she got was 29, and the best was 32. You give me something 1/3 the size and tell me you get worse mileage that that Caprice??? And we wonder why the automotive industry has gone down the tubes.

Honda and Toyota are the only 2 that seem to have it together with their high mileage cars, and I'm sorry, but I tangled with a semi once. I wouldn't want to do it in a Cube.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:05 AM

...We think the same on the MPG's. I got over 30 MPG's on both my Monte's on the highways without air on. I even think the price is way 2 high for a toy car.... Thanks always for your input/post/words...(Oh, I didn't 4get..I'm still searching 4 the pic of that 4th Gen U requested..(I know it's out there zomeplace in the WorldWideWebSpace: )
I'll keep fish'in 4 `it

Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
I don't understand why these tiny turds of a vehicle can't get any mileage. 28-30???
IMO, something THAT sized should be getting 50-70mpg. Even the Smart car gets crap milage for it's size, and look at the reviews on that, it IS a crap car. You see TONS of T' Pruises out there, and for good reason. They are a well built car that averages 50mpg.
Ok, let me explain this. Throw a box into the wind. Tell me how easy it goes, this is the cube. The prius, is a paper airplane, getting tons of mpg. The drag on the cube thing is so high, its pretty much like trying to drive a vehicle with the parachute out at all times.

Last edited by Enzo354; 05-24-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I understand the physics of aerodynamics. Explain it to the engineers designing these boxes.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:43 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Absolutely not! If I wanted to drive a box I would buy another Mini Cooper S or Clubman S!!! At least with the Mini, you would still look cool!

Old 05-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. s'ugly. i don't understand the obsession with the box shaped vehicles, starting with the honda element a couplea years ago and then the scion among others. give me the monte carlo's sexy curvy lines any day of the week and twice on tuesdays!!

Quick Reply: Would you Drive/Buy One ?