Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Winter weather, driving conditions and work!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Winter weather, driving conditions and work!

I've been wondering what everyones thoughts are on this issue!

What do you consider to be unsafe to drive conditions when calling your employer and letting them know you will not be able to make it to work? Every year this issue comes up when the snow starts falling! I called in today and said I may be in by noon, but as the snow kept falling I decided it was not going be a good idea to try and make it in. I would like to know how other members consider this also, is the risk at getting into an accident worth trying to make it to work or not?

Please post your opinions on how you determine what is safe and what isn't in your situation! thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it really depends on how everyone else is driving and what kind of car you have for a winter beater. My Monte Carlo... I wouldn't want to go out on an icy road in it on a regular basis (I have) I think unplowed roads are the biggest concern. I live in NC and we don't get alot of snow, so I don't worry too much about it. I also live on a long gravel road (fun to keep the car clean) and once you hit the end of the driveway ti's another half mile to civilization. We have a tractor that we use and voluntarily plow from our driveway to the highway so we can get out.

If going to work meant driving on lots of back roads, I'd call in sick. If it involved major highways that are generally kept clear and you had a car that you weren't too concerned about scratching, I'd go for it.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Default driving in snow....

Well like "Cowboy" said up there We don't get a lot of snow either.
Now we finally got a pretty good snow storm this week but not very
often. We mainly get sleet, freezing rain and small snow falls down here.
My feeling is if the roads are too slick and dangerous..... then stay home.
Most companies are understanding of that in Arkansas. But people like
Fireman, Policeman and public service people have no choice.
I usually put concrete cylinders in the bed of my S10 and that helps a lot.
It's just not worth it if you wreck your vehicle when all you had to do
was stay home......but like I said, some people have no choice. It's delicate line.
The MC ? In Snow ? .....not going to happen.
Be safe out there.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM

Considering how wild this winter has been, i think bosses should be a little considerate asking for employees to risk injury in these conditions. if you have leave/vacation/sick days available. use them and stay home with your Mom, nice warm and cozzy.
hope you don't have any backlash for not making it in.
You said you've given that company your loyalty for ten years, so i think they SHOULD understand, but i am no psychic ..so good luck chris.
i called monday to tell my supervisor that i couldn't make it out of my neighborhood and he said don't worry coming in, everyone is being laid off...again. >.>

Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

even my dad stayed home today.... its coming down too quick for the roads to be really clear, and his commute would be a nightmare. everything around here is shutting down early or is closed for the day. i bet wally world would be empty right now, lol.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by skylark65
i bet wally world would be empty right now, lol.
Sounds to me like the best time to go there.

Anyway, Monte is the only car I have, and so it must be driven everyday. Hasn't failed to get me to work yet, despite the snow, ice and freezing rain. I've driven through snow deep enough to leave a flattend track from the front air dam, and still made it in to work. Granted not all the roads were that bad, but they certainly were't great.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

it really depends on where you live. 6" in Maryland is similar to 2' in New York (not the city) becuase citys in MD don;t have the recources to plow roads as well/fast as areas where snow in the winter is common.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

If it's that bad out I would stay home. In Chicagoland they do a pretty darn good job at keeping up with plowing, but if a storm hits at rush hour, that is a nightmare. But, we are supposed to get snow. What makes me laugh is when there are school closings it seems like all of the Catholic Schools are closed, but the reg schools are open or delayed opening. We had about 13-14 inches yesterday into this morning and most of the schools were opened, except the Catholic Schools. I wonder why?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Monte Of The Month - April 2010 & Sep

Originally Posted by AwsomeSS
If it's that bad out I would stay home. In Chicagoland they do a pretty darn good job at keeping up with plowing, but if a storm hits at rush hour, that is a nightmare. But, we are supposed to get snow. What makes me laugh is when there are school closings it seems like all of the Catholic Schools are closed, but the reg schools are open or delayed opening. We had about 13-14 inches yesterday into this morning and most of the schools were opened, except the Catholic Schools. I wonder why?
I believe it has to do with the fact that the state mandates the number of school days required in order for the school district to receive funding. The priviate schools are paid by the parents of the children that attend the school, so they don;t have the same requirements or are not as forceful because they already have their money.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

distance+what you are driving+terrian+driving skill

I have a wrecked old truck so me getting out in this weather is not that much of a worry. Basicly I try to judge if I think I have a good chance to get to work without something happening. Since I leave before most are awake, I do not have as much traffic as rush hour but the roads are not as good either. My drive is about 15 miles so it can take 15 mins or an hour and a half (in rush hour). I also look at if my truck is parked in my driveway or on top of the hill. Even tho I have a short distance to travel up the hill, it is a steep hill and I have just parked my truck in the yard and called in cuz I couldn't make it up the hill.

This last Christmas we got about 4 inches of snow with ice underneath. The road crews was not out (which I completely understand and not complaining). I traveled another 10 mins and added 2 more miles on my 2 mile trip to my parents house because I wanted to use the Highways because they would be the first to get cleared off (either by road crews or traffic). The only problem I had was when I was coming home and was slowing down to get on the highway and hit black ice...slid in the middle of the intersection and avoided hitting a car do to my truck wanting to slide toward it. When this happened, I was doing a great speed of 15 mph :P (the reason why I included this was to show people that if you avoid roads that you know will be bad and try to use ones that you know will be better it will improve your success)

It also depends on your skill as a driver. When I was younger, I got ran out of many parking lots for doing stuff like cutting donuts. Laugh if you may but it also taught me some things about how to handle a truck in the snow...what to do in a slide, etc and at the time I was just having some fun.

PS also consider the idiots out on the road...not the people that can drive but the ones that should have just left it in park that day.

Anyways I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Winter weather, driving conditions and work!