Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like the Chevy S.S. ?
Yes, I'd like to have one.
50.00%
No, it's not my type of car & I don't like 4 doors
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

>Will Chevy replace vaunted SS after 2017?<>+ More <

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >Will Chevy replace vaunted SS after 2017?<>+ More <

Will Chevy replace vaunted SS after 2017?

MARCH 29, 2016

The Chevrolet SS has been a niche seller in the U.S., though outside the country, GM still needs large rear-wheel-drive sedanPHOTO BY CHEVROLET

REPORT SUGGESTS STAND-IN FOR GLOBAL REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE SEDAN

The Chevrolet SS, a car so American it had to be imported from Australia, is on its way out after making a series of cameo appearances on the medians of U.S. interstates. The impetus for the model's impending departure will be the 2017 closure of the Holden factory that produces the SS Down Under.
But will the Commodore, which is what the SS is called in its home country, go the way of the thylacine?
GM's Australian division may not be giving up on the concept of a large, affordable rear-wheel-drive V8 sedan. In an interview with Australia's Motoring, Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser indicated that the demise of the Holden Commodore may not spell the end for this type of vehicle within GM's global lineup.
"We haven’t announced an end date to it," Oppenheiser told Motoring.

CAR REVIEWS

2016 Chevy SS first drive: Baby’s first sports sedan

In retrospect, maybe I shouldn’t have taken my five-months-pregnant wife to the winding Tail of the Dragon road on our way to Daytona Beach in the 2016 Chevrolet SS sedan. In my ...

"We know that there are some decisions made on Zeta that are imminent, but right now we are just focused on the new ’17 model, which is great," Oppenheiser said, referring to GM's global rear-wheel-drive architecture.
A replacement for the SS based on the Alpha platform, which currently underpins the Chevrolet Camaro, the Cadillac ATSand the Cadillac CTS, has been tipped as a candidate, though Oppenheiser did not explicitly confirm such plans.
"I am not at liberty; I am going to leave you hanging," Oppenheiser told Motoring in response to a question about the global sedan with a V8.
The SS has been a niche model within Chevrolet's North American lineup. The current model has been on sale since late 2013, and replaced the Pontiac G8, which was based on the previous-gen Commodore.

JAY RAMEY - Jay Ramey is an Associate Editor with Autoweek, and has been with the magazine since 2013. Jay also likes to kayak and bike.READ MORE »
See more by this author»

READ THIS NEXT

DRIVE REVIEWS

2016 Chevrolet Camaro first drive: Four-cylinder blasphemy?

NEW YORK AUTO SHOW

2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 is slang for 640 hp and a warranty

DRIVE REVIEWS

First Drive: 2016 Cadillac CT6 is a fresh take on American luxury

DRIVE REVIEWS

2017 Cadillac XT5 first drive: New name, new face, same unshakable formula

RELATED STORIES

Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The newer Chevy SS never did anything for me (and I have seen them face to face at the dealer). I had expected it to be more retro to the 60s - Id like to see them replace it myself.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
The newer Chevy SS never did anything for me (and I have seen them face to face at the dealer). I had expected it to be more retro to the 60s - Id like to see them replace it myself.

Hi `Tadd & Member's, check out the above vid if you have
the time & look @ the coupe(s)

I understand that the 4 door Sedan isn't for everyone.
I like it for what it is.. a performance sedan with a proven
Corvette Engine.

I'm just thankful we have so many choice in the automotive
market 4-Sure
Thanks for your Vote & posts