Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which one do you want ?
2015 Chevy Camaro
88.89%
2015 Ford Mustang
11.11%
I will post what I want for the same cost as above...
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

>Will it beat the new Chevy Camaro ?<

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default >Will it beat the new Chevy Camaro ?<

2015 Mustang Gets Some More Kicks: Details Announced for New Performance Pack

July 17, 2014 at 6:43 pm by Jeff Stork | Photography by Marc Urbano and the Manufacturer

We already know that the 2015 Ford Mustang will debut with an all-new, four-wheel independent suspension and upgraded brakes, and we even know how much it will weigh, but details are emerging on the optional Performance packages that will give the new pony a little extra kick. There are two Performance packages: one for the EcoBoost fastback/coupe (or convertible) and one for the GT fastback/coupe.
The Performance packages are essentially Track packs with a new name; they’ll come with specific springs, unique bushings, and monotube rear dampers, along with additional engine-cooling capacity, a thicker rear anti-roll bar, a K-brace under the hood to tie the strut towers to the bulkhead, and a center gauge pack. In addition, there are different calibrations for the ABS, stability control, and electric-assisted power steering.
From there, the EcoBoost model’s Performance pack ($1995) will feature four-piston, aluminum fixed-caliper brakes with 13.9-inch rotors up front, and single-piston, iron floating calipers in the rear with 13.0-inch rotors. It will feature a 3.55:1 axle ratio, and will ride on Pirelli 255/40R19 Y-speed-rated tires front and rear mounted on 19.0- x 9.0-inch aluminum wheels finished in Ebony black.

The GT’s Performance pack ($2495) takes things up a notch: The front brakes are six-piston Brembos with fixed aluminum calipers clamping 15.0-inch rotors (the same as the 2014 Shelby GT500); the rear brakes are shared with the EcoBoost Performance pack. The final-drive ratio is 3.73:1 and a Torsen differential is specified. Up front, it wears the same 255/40R19 Y-speed Pirellis and 19.0- x 9.5-inch Ebony black wheels from the EcoBoost’s Performance pack, but at the rear the GT version wears even beefier 275/40R19 Pirelli shoes on 19.0- x 9.5-inch wheels. A strut-tower brace and a unique front splitter, which directs cooling air to the brakes, complete the package.
Ford claims that a 2015 Mustang GT with the Performance pack consistently beats the lap times of the2012–2013 Boss 302 in track testing; that sounds like one test we’ll have to try for ourselves.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-19-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 AM

2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28 drive review

JUNE 11, 2014

1 OF 10Chevy's 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 weighs 300 pounds less than the more powerful ZL1.PHOTO BY CHEVROLET

What is it?
It's the freakin' Chevy Camaro Z/28. It's high school. It's “Dazed and Confused,” “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” “Billy Madison” and Foreigner. It's what the coolest kid you knew drove. The new Z/28, at a decidedly not high-school price of $76,150, goes on sale later this year.
When the Camaro was introduced in 1966 (as a 1967 model), the Z/28 was the road-racing version. Several other names were considered, but nothing stuck, and Chevy just ended up naming the package after its option code, which came after the Super Sport package—option Z27-- on the options sheet. The Z/28 was designed specifically to compete in the SCCA's Trans-Am series with a 302 V-8 built to squeeze in under the 305-inch limit. The factory said it made 290 hp, most say it's more like 400.

This modern Z/28 comes with an absolute sledgehammer of an engine. It's the 7.0-liter, 505-hp V8 sourced from the lastZ06 Corvette. It gets a Tremec six-speed manual and 481 lb-ft of twist sent rearward. The gas guzzler tax definitely applies. All of the action is controlled by a suede-covered steering wheel and a suede-covered shift ****.
Massive 19-inch spider web wheels are shod with fly-paper-sticky Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires. They surround 15-inch Brembo carbon ceramic brakes. Z/28 also gets Chevy's DSSV shocks, which use spool valves control the movement of fluid. That results in higher predictability and repeatability on the track.

What's it like to drive?
We tested the new Z/28 at the 1.9-mile GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Mich., and we instantly felt like busting a few donuts on our way out for summer vacation. Jokes aside, there's nothing '80s, '70s or '60s about this car.
On startup, the Z/28 braps and pops like a straight-pipe muscle car. Lowering the hammer smoothly takes some practice, as the sound almost overwhelms the driver, regardless of speed. At certain points on the track we had to mentally tune it out, lest it distract us from the task at hand. In this case, it was keeping more than 500 horses corralled on a 36-foot track.
Surprisingly though, it wasn't a rampaging buck out there. On acceleration, at least when we were pointed straight, the Z/28 shoved us back in the Recaro seats. To get any wheelspin we had to dump the clutch hard as we put our foot down. That didn't stop us from doing it. It just wasn't as easy as we expected. The Trofeo R tires are clearly made up of a combination of tree sap and Super Glue.
That made it stick around corners, especially on acceleration. We toggled the traction control system from sport, to sport 2, to race, and never brought the back end around without meaning to. At the limit, you can feel the car wiggling, scrounging for every bit of grip. It reminded us of the last Viper ACR, but it never felt scary or out of control. The only time we did get a little loose was during trail braking, where the car spun about 30 degrees, but was easily brought back in line.

The g forces did slide us around a bit, which is why we still choose the Mustang's Recaro buckets over the Camaro's. A wider man may have less of a problem. A taller man, however, would have more. At 5'10” plus helmet, we fit in the Camaro with about an inch of headroom or less. The seat adjusts another one or two inches, but at 6'2” or more, we'd worry about helmet clearance.
The clutch pedal effort was a little too easy for such a powerful car, but the slip point was small, which we like. Same goes for the steering; it was plenty sensitive, but extremely easy.
At the relatively short track in South Haven, the Z/28 spent most of its time in its monstrous third gear. It provides power from 20 mph to more than 100 mph. Lifting off before a turn brought a cacophony of pops and growls at we settled into the brakes.

Do I want one?
Hell yes you do, especially if you have 75 Gs laying around. It's the best Camaro ever built, if not the most powerful. We beat on a quintet of cars continuously for six hours with no brake fade and no “Check Engine” lights, though we did swap tires a few times. It also looks the part with a giant front splitter, black wheels and integrated quad exhaust.
The Camaro Z/28 sits in a segment of its own for the time being. It outpaces the old Boss Mustang, but also out-prices it. The last GT500 would surely take it in a straight line, but in the turns, we're not so sure.

The Z/28 won't make you the star of the football game, or the prom king, and definitely not head of the debate team. But to those kids in the auto shop, and the ones smoking behind the bleachers, you'll be the coolest kid in town.
JAKE LINGEMAN - Jake Lingeman is Associate Editor at Autoweek, reporting on cars, car tech and the world at large.

- See more at: 2015 Chevy Camaro Z/28 drive review | Autoweek

Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Camaro all the way!

Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Cool >Thanks for posting<

Thanks Mod Michael for being the 1st to post.
I wish I had a extra $75K for one ....It just has to be a super blast to drive one.

I do like the new Mustangs, but for power > the Camaro is hard to beat. I'm sure that Shelby's will be working hard to compete...

I hope someday that I can test drive both of them...

`Michael, do you have your order in yet ? >

Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 PM

10 Year Member

I am a Chevy guy all the way.

I wish I had one on order. Lol. But nope, just driving the Monte into the ground. Lol

Old 07-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I am a Chevy guy all the way.

I wish I had one on order. Lol. But nope, just driving the Monte into the ground. Lol

Thanks Mod Michael for your reply....
I think you should tell your boss that it would be a super super Company car Tell him you would never be late to work or a appointment >

It would be a great work BONUS 4>$ure

Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 PM

10 Year Member

Lol! Yea I would take that as a company car in a heart beat. Lol

Old 07-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Truth be told, for that price I wouldn't buy the z28, but of the two I would choose it. Main thing being is that in my area anyways, every other car is a mustang, they are becoming over populated.

I'm a chevy guy all the way but for that price I would prob get a hemi challenger

Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Cool

Hi `Ken,
thanks for your post & what you would `do.
I like both the Camaro & the Mustang, but I'd sure do
my homework & test drive the model's that I would want or could afford.
I hope that you dreams come true on the ride that you desire

I like the below Mustang

Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I'm not sold on that Mustang yet - I still prefer the outgoing model. It seems to me that the Mustang is getting a little effeminate again, like they did 1994 thru 1998. Are they trying to be "cute" with all those curves?

But I am pretty sold on the new Z28. Sorry girls, but that looks like a mans car!

Quick Reply: >Will it beat the new Chevy Camaro ?<