Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Why did you buy a Chevy Monte Carlo<?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >Why did you buy a Chevy Monte Carlo<?

FEATURE

What’s the Right New Vehicle for Me? Why did you buy a Chevy Monte Carlo ? (Please let us know ?) Make a post `OK > Thanks

With so many cars on the market, one is perfect for you. But which of the more than 400 choices is it?
Is your Monte Carlo the Perfect car 4 U ?

When Car and Driver editors buy cars, emotion often trumps logic. We love performance, so practicality isn’t a major consideration. But for many buyers, a car is a rational choice; they buy what they need to transport themselves and their loved ones as safely, comfortably, and cheaply as possible. It’s a smarter way to buy, but it isn’t any easier. With more than 400 new cars to choose from, how do you pick the right one?

Start by considering a series of questions, but beware: Once you find the car that fulfills your every need, an emotional connection may well form whether you like it or not.

What Kind of Car Do I Need?
Forget the number of models available, the number of body styles alone can be overwhelming: coupes, sedans, station wagons, crossovers, SUVs. How do you decide what you need?

Coupe/Convertible: If you want a car that makes a statement about you, coupes and convertibles are typically the most expressive designs, but restricted access to the back seat (if the car you are considering even has one) seriously limits their practicality.
Sedan: If there are kids in the picture or in the near-future plan, four doors are a likely requirement. Even if children are small enough to ride comfortably in the back seat of a coupe with any regularity, consider the difficulty of constantly climbing into and out of the back seat to tend to a child before committing to just two doors.
Hatchback: If you add another door—bringing the total to five—you’re looking at hatchbacks and station wagons, which offer SUV-like space without the dynamic and fuel-economy compromises of heavier vehicles. These cars are pariahs in the U.S. market, but many buyers are starting to reconsider, as fluctuating fuel prices and increasing environmental awareness have them thinking twice about crossovers and SUVs. As manufacturers get increasingly creative and design ever more stylish hatchbacks—their roofs are sleeker than wagons’—the market is warming to the segment.
Station Wagon: Station wagons have perhaps the worst reputation of any body style on the market, but we’re fighting to change that. They offer the best attributes of a car without the trade-offs of larger crossovers and SUVs. The Mazda 6 wagon actually had more passenger and cargo volume than the Mazda CX-7 crossover, was quicker, and got better fuel economy. It was so immensely unpopular that it was discontinued last year, and a forthcoming CX-7 promises a weaker engine in an effort to reduce fuel consumption.

SUV/Crossover: Jack up the ground clearance of a hatchback or station wagon, and you have a crossover or an SUV. Do you need that ground clearance? Probably not. When was the last time your road didn’t get regularly plowed or cleared? Sure, it happens—most often to those of us in the northern part of the country, and that’s a few times a winter—but the fuel-economy penalty of opting for a taller and heavier vehicle is something that affects you every time you start the car.

Of course, the higher seating position of a crossover or SUV is something many people enjoy, for its increased visibility and for the ease of entry and exit as the seat is at a more natural height. But keep in mind that height adds weight, and weight diminishes fuel economy and stability.

Those who tow regularly already know they need something with that capability. But if you need a truck only to tow a few times a year, perhaps renting in those instances is a better alternative to living year round with the fuel-economy penalties of a truck.
Minivan: Those with large families—or dreams of such—often resist the practicality of the van, but if you routinely haul five or more people, there is no vehicle short of a school bus that will better accommodate six, seven, or eight passengers. A jumbo SUV like a Chevrolet Suburban orFord Expedition EL has more cargo space, but passengers will find greater comfort in a minivan. A minivan is the perfect family vehicle but normally does without any semblance of soul. A couple of notable exceptions are the Honda Odyssey and the Mazda 5, both of which manage to add an element of driving pleasure to the normally bland family-hauler character.

What Size Car Do I Need? (lol)
We say start small.(LOL) And right off the bat, let’s debunk a common myth: Larger vehicles are safer than smaller ones. The safest collision is one you avoid in the first place. Lighter cars are typically more agile and give you a better chance of steering away from a crash rather than gripping the wheel, barreling in, and letting physics punish the other driver.

Before the inevitable “If I’m going to get T-boned by an idiot in a Navigator, I’d rather be in a Silverado than a Mini” response, consider that a shorter stopping distance might allow you to come to a complete stop before either car in that scenario ever enters the intersection. Small cars tend to cost less to buy and consume less fuel, too. Driving a smaller, more frugal car makes you look enlightened—at least in college towns and northern California.

Also, consider that small cars don’t have to be small inside. Thanks to the Manhattan approach of building up instead of out, small cars keep getting more and more spacious. The smallest car currently available in the U.S. is the Smart Fortwo, and it offers headroom within an inch of what you’d find in a Cadillac Escalade. Or consider the Nissan Cube: Despite being nearly three feet shorter than the Honda Pilot and weighing almost a ton less, it has more head- and legroom in the front seat, more headroom in the back seat, and only three inches less legroom in the rear. If it’s interior space you need, you needn’t buy big.

Do I Need All-Wheel Drive?
Probably not. All-wheel drive is seen as a safety feature in wintry climes, but the only difference the average driver will notice with all-wheel drive is the added traction when accelerating. All-wheel drive doesn’t increase a vehicle’s ability to stop or turn. What most buyers don’t realize is just how much difference a set of winter tires can make. And they are cheaper than upgrading to an all-wheel-drive car and won’t have the year-round negative impact on your fuel economy that comes with a car having to drive all four wheels all the time.
While we’re on the subject, weight does not automatically make a better winter vehicle. Heavy cars and trucks do plow through deep snow better and behave more predictably, but hit a patch of ice, and that weight is just extra momentum to try to control. Again, bigger is not necessarily better.

How Much Power Do I Need?
In our road tests, we always cite 0-to-60-mph times, but the fact is that very few people ever actually use full throttle. Around Ann Arbor, we see more drivers who fear full throttle than those who ever use it. Truck buyers who tow and haul heavy loads need lots of power, but the average car buyer doesn’t need any more than is necessary to keep him or her comfortable on a test drive. The buying practice of getting the bigger engine but never using more than half-throttle is like building a four-story house but leaving the top two floors vacant. All else being equal, larger engines use more fuel.
What about Hybrids and Diesels?

The type of driving you do determines whether or not a hybrid or a diesel makes sense for you. Hybrids tend to use less fuel around town, when low speeds and frequent braking keep them running on battery power longer. Diesel drivers will see their greatest benefits on the highway, although diesel vehicles are more efficient than gasoline cars at low speeds, too.

Either approach will extend your fuel dollar, but be aware of the premiums you’ll be paying up front and the distance you’ll have to drive to recoup your costs. Of course, that doesn’t necessarily have to be a deterrent if you know you’ll drive a car more than 60,000 or 100,000 miles, or if you buy a fuel miser on principle.

With a diesel, also be aware of the premium you’ll pay for fuel. As this is written, diesel is outpacing gasoline in the U.S. by only about 10 cents per gallon, or five percent—a much lower differential than we have seen in the past year. So right now, the 25-to-30-percent benefit most drivers will realize in fuel economy is worth it. But that can change quickly as fuel prices fluctuate.

OK Member's > Your turn (Hit some keys)

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 06-03-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mr. Rider,
So I had several small cars. 94 Altima GSX, 96 Subaru Legacy, 94 BMW 325is Coupe. I loved those cars but I wanted something with Space. I remembered my 98 Monte LS and how I liked it but wanted a Bigger Motor. Then I remembered seeing the 6th Gen Monte and how I wanted one from the first time I saw it. Good space and a bigger motor. Then I met a guy at a family function who had one. He showed me the insides and the trunk. Then took me for a ride. I was sold. Then when I saw YellaJAC with those 22s she had I had to have her! Even though I nee the 22s were not the best thing for her!
Although she keeps me wallet in check, I have no regrets with her. I really love the fact that no matter how big a parking lot is, or where I parked in it, I can find my car. She is a good car and I plan to be good to her for a long time!!!!!
And That's My Story!

Attached Thumbnails &gt;Why did you buy a Chevy Monte Carlo&lt;?-996543_10201070984569782_367593971_n.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I started with a brand new 04 ranger extended cab 4.0 5 speed. I hated it so traded it in on turbo monte. Turbo monte was my daily for about 3 years until I decided to modify it like I have because I liked it so much. When I retired it from daily driving I got a cavalier 5 speed and hated that so I traded it in and got my new focus st

I wish I could still daily turbo monte but that's impossible lol

Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

I wanted to be Dale Jr.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Before I had the monte I had my lumina. I liked that car for how big it was and I always liked a bigger car. When I went looking for a new car I wanted something big and domestic and I knew the better engine was the 3.8 then my dad saw the monte. I looked at a few other cars like the Grand Prix since my dad used to have one. I liked the monte and it had the fewest miles and wasn't a bad price compared to some if the other cars I looked at it. So far I am glad I got it and would somehow like to keep it forever.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My son's 1998 ford Taurus was shot , so I gave him my 2001 Impala.
Then I looked for a car . My wife drive's a 2005 Impala SS , I like the 3.8 supercharged so I found my 2005 Monte carlo SS Supercharged with 15,000 Miles.. at 16,900 miles the engine spun a cam shaft bearing GM installed a new engine for $ 0...,Only reason I bought a ford for my son was it was cheap.. An I though let him beat up a ford before he got a chevy..LOL

Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I've been a fan of the monte's since I was in high school and my friend had one, then my neighbor bought an 84 SS and turned it in to a show car for his stereo, he was sponsored by alpine and blew the back window out of it 3 times lol.

Prior to the cars I have now, my wife had a venture van and I had a cavalier, both of them had done their respective tour of duties and served us well, but the kids were getting older and we didn't need a van anymore, but we did need vehicle to be able to take them in, as well as all of my gear for when my band is playing, but when searching I drove past a local car lot and saw my car, and my head snapped around and we pulled in to take a look. Once I opened the drivers door, my wife just looked at the look on my face and said "go ahead" lol. The only problem was that she liked mine so much she wanted one for herself so we ended up finding hers in a nearby town.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

I bought mine because it was 2 grand for a decent car with 120,000 miles on it. Then I got in an accident (not my fault) and decided it needed to look better. Got the hood and body kit. But then I needed an engine and transmission. So... L67 swap makes the panties drop.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:25 AM

My all time favorite car is the Thunderbird. nothing can change that. i was looking into buying a mustang until i drove one and thought "omg these things are way too touchy and small!" so on the way back from driving that car my uncle stopped at a garage to talk to a buddy and they had a 00-05 monte in the lot....now one would not think to look into a car they see at a mechanics shop lol...but i really liked it. i went home that day and looked into how much they were worth, what year, miles and so on and then began my internet search. found Nightmagic on craigslist in Pittsburgh and bought her for $4k on july 1st 2009. I always liked the 80's gen montes. and about a 2 years before i got Nightmagic we owned a 97 monte. i didnt like the way it handled so i sold it.

Quick Reply: >Why did you buy a Chevy Monte Carlo<?