Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Who's Watching ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Who's Watching ?

[b][Updated:2006-08-20 15:28:39
Who’s Watching?
By ERIC PETERS
[:-]
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/7BB35A440C06421FB756F774B173EA14.jpg[/IMG]

Big Brother will be watching you for sure by 2008 -- the year a proposed requirement that Event Data Recorders (EDRs) become mandatory standard equipment in all new cars and trucks will become law unless public outrage puts the kibosh on it somehow.

EDRs are "black boxes" -- just like airplanes have. They can record a wide variety of things -- including how fast you drive [:@]and whether you "buckle-up for safety." The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) wants EDRs to be installed in every new vehicle beginning with model year 2008 -- on the theory that the information will help crash investigators more accurately determine the hows and whys of accidents.

But EDRs could -- and likely will be -- used for other purposes as well.

Tied into GPS navigation computers, EDRs could give interested parties -- your local cash-hungry sheriff, for example -- the ability to take automated ticketing to the next level. Since the data recorders can continuously monitor most of the operating parameters of a vehicle as it travels -- and the GPS unit can precisely locate the vehicle in "real time," wherever it happens to be at any given moment -- any and all incidents of "speeding" could be immediately detected and a piece of paying paper issued to the offender faster than he could tap the brake. That's even if he knew he was in the crosshairs, which of course he wouldn't. Probably they'll just erect an electronic debiting system of some sort that ties directly into your checking account -- since the paperwork could not keep up with the massive uptick in fines that would be generated.

What Do You Think?
If you think this is just a dark-minded paranoiac vision, think again. Rental car companies have already deployed a very similar system of onboard electronic monitoring to identify customers who dare to drive faster than the posted limit -- and automatically tap them with a "surcharge" for their scofflaw ways. While this inventive form of "revenue enhancement" was challenged and subsequently batted down by the courts, the technology continues to be honed -- and quietly put into service.

Already, 15-20 percent of all the cars and trucks in service have EDRs; most of these are General Motors vehicles.[:@][&:] GM has been installing "black boxes" in its new cars and trucks since about 1996 as part of the Supplemental Restraint (air bag) system. Within a few years, as many as 90 percent of all new motor vehicles will be equipped with EDRs, according to government estimates -- whether the requirement NHTSA is pushing actually becomes law or not.

The automakers are just as eager to keep tabs on us as the government -- in part to keep the shyster lawyers who have been so successfully digging into their deep pockets at bay. EDRs would provide irrefutable evidence of high-speed driving, for example -- or make it impossible for a person injured in a crash to deny he wasn't wearing a seat belt.

Insurance companies will launch "safety" campaigns urging that "we use available technology" to identify "unsafe" drivers -- and who will be able to argue against that? Everyone knows that speeding is against the law -- and if you aren't breaking the law, what have you got to worry about?

It's all for our own good.

But if you get edgy thinking about the government -- and our friends in corporate America -- being able to monitor where we go and how we go whenever they feel like checking in on us, take the time to write a "Thanks, but no thanks" letter to NHTSA at http://dms.dot.gov//b]

[IMG]local://upfiles/714/7BB35A440C06421FB756F774B173EA14.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Default RE: Who's Watching ?

makes me want to restore and drive a old camaro even more LOL

Thanks for that artical Space.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:00 PM

This is the BIGGEST load of BS I've ever read. If they install these then whats the point of having LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS??? If they can just catch us by looking at a computer there'd be no point in having officers. They'd just convert them all to desk workers to read the computers. I see this new thing like I see the way the Air Force wants to employ unmanned aircraft. I know we already have tons in the Air Force But its the fact that what a pilot can do a computer can't do. Its the simple demand for a human behind the stick. Without pilots yes, casualties go down, but with pilots we keep jobs open, people fed, families together, and most of all human instinct. If in the case of the Air Force everything went automated we could send hundreds of unmanned aircrafts and vehicles overseas and do our fighting for us, there in causing more mass distruction. Its not right to take away our jobs just to create revenue for people that don't like to get hassled. Yeah the car companies get hassled by lawyers, but THATS THEIR JOB! If we installed this EDR system we'd elimate lawyers that fight against the car compaines, we'd eliminate the need for road officers that partrol the roads for dangerous drivers, and we'd eliminate the want for people to ever drive anywhere knowing that they couldn't get away even if they wanted to. "lets escape this city and go someplace no one knows us and start over" Ever heard that? If this was to be instilled in every vehicle, no one could, because where ever you go they'd know who you are and what kind of violations you have done. I'm completely against this system. And I feel very strongly against it. I'm sorry if any of you fellow monte owners disagree with me. But I've proven my point behind my dislike of this idea. And I would like to hear others opinions too.

So Heres to THANKS, BUT NO THANKS!

MonteriderLS

Old 08-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Hate to break the news to you guys, your/our Monte's already track this data now.

Our PCM's store several minutes of data that can be and is used after a crash to determine speed and other contributing factors to the incident.

That being said, the accident will have to be one involving serious injury or death to go thru the expense of pulling the data out of the system.

Bottom line, if your in a major accident and your at fault you better hope the damn thing burns to the ground...

Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Yeah, that seems like a serious violation of privacy rights. I can understand a 'black box' that records crash data such as velocity and restraint system status, but this crap about GPS-enabled speeding tickets is a step too far, man.

What's next, motion sensors and tiny cameras that activate when under the suspicion of in-car hanky panky? What the hell?!?! Now KITT is tattle-tailing on us to 'the man?'

I think that something like this could cause a rebellion. VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 05:53 PM

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!!!!!

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM

hell they are already testing motion sensitive cameras for things like this to "help the public be more secure" so belive me it would not suprise me if they did have cameras in the woods checking things like that to

but i do agree the crash data would be fine but speed and gps tickets would suck
but then again after livign her ein the land of the ca,era ticket it would not be much diffrent. here if you get nailed on the cameras then in about a month you get a nasty gram and they want thier money NOW!
the politzie dont even bother to pull you over unless you do somethign real stupid and belive me when they pull you over they are not nice about it at all. i have seen them ram cars in to the side of the road to ge tthem to stop. and they will not pay for damages done to your car. but i can garuntee you will pay for thiers to thier car.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:49 PM

They don't need that to use GPS to monitor your speed. If they know you were at point A and it took you x amount of time to reach point B, simple math can tell your average speed.

Or for states with toll roads using "fast lanes" which use an electronic device attached to the windshield to pay the toll from your checking account. If you passed through one toll plaza at a certain time and then pass through the next one 10 miles away 10 minutes later, you were averaging 60 MPH.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 PM

YEAH DON'T REMIND ME !!!!!!! D.O.T. has been doing this for years it is called a log book.

and belive me they like to nail ya for ****