Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

when will chevey come back out with the monty carlo and why did they give them up

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM

I think the other roadblock now may be the government's new influence since the bailout- they're most likely going to focus on cheaper, high gas mileage, smaller commuter cars to get some high volume sales before they start looking into restying and higher performance vehicles.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I think the other roadblock now may be the government's new influence since the bailout- they're most likely going to focus on cheaper, high gas mileage, smaller commuter cars to get some high volume sales before they start looking into restying and higher performance vehicles.
I totally agree!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
After the 1989 model year GM cancelled the Monte in favor of a new, more "modern"-styled line of Chevy's with a new name. The 1990 Lumina series of cars. The two door sporty coupe was the Lumina Z34. But in 1995, the Lumina Z34 disappeared for a re-designed two door we now know as the 5th gen Monte Carlo.

Monte Carlo enthusiasts, the purists, used to the 1970-1989 Montes didn't like it. Didn't have a V8, it was FWD, and it looked too different from the 4th gen Monte. But GM was looking to a new generation of car buyer by that time. Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

That's 1988. Not 1989.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 AM

i asked my local chevy dealer that same question, and they said that 2 door cars really arent what people want anymore, and they people that do want 2 door cars want something with more power and a sportier look. thats what they told me.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:42 AM

They just never sold enough in 06-07. I remember they sold more Corvettes in both 06 and 07 than Monte Carlos, something like less than 35,000. That just isn't enough volume for a car that is supposed to be mass produced.

Volume + Sales = Profit

When they do come out with another Monte, and they will eventually, I hope it is rear wheel drive and has a little more power. I also hope that they make them in the good old USA this time, too.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Justin
i asked my local chevy dealer that same question, and they said that 2 door cars really arent what people want anymore, and they people that do want 2 door cars want something with more power and a sportier look. thats what they told me.
Just my opinion, but by the time the 06 & 07 came out, the body style was an old design that had run it's course. Minus the front clip of course. But the updated front clip wasn't enough to disguise the 8 year old body style behind it.

The Monte needed a complete re-design from the ground up. If GM would have done that for a 2008 model, I think they would've sold tons more Montes than they did in 2007. Maybe a "retro" styled Monte. Like other new models out there. Like the "retro" Camaro and Challenger. But like already mentioned, GM didn't want competition for the Camaro in their own line-up.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
rj
15 Year Member

I remember a lot of Monte owners being turned off by the 1995 version. More for the fact it was FWD then anything else. A lot said they were done owning a Monte at that time.

When the 2000 came out there was quite a discussion on MonteCarloSS.com about them. I personally liked the looks of the '00 Montes. I could see some of the '81-88 styling in them. I figured it'd be 2010 by the time I could afford a '00 model.
Now here it is late 2009 and there's an '03 & '06 setting in the drive.

Also wouldn't mind a '98/99 Monte as my daily driver.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:43 PM

i think advertising and lack of interest killed the monte carlo. i dont recall seeing commercials for the new v8 in 06 and what not. that and the front wheel drive. i think if it had had the body of the 06 on a gto frame with that powertrain it would have sold with some advertising. i think its going to be gone for quite a while if it ever makes a return. even if they went rwd with it i dont think that theres a demand for a 2 door luxury sport coupe and if you want a 2 door rear wheel drive sport coupe from chevy youve got the camaro. why compete with yourself.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I'm one of the few who actually like the Holden/Pontiac GTO. Wish they would have sold them here in Canada, but GM refused.

I like the idea of the 06/07 Monte Carlo body on a GTO frame. Don't think the wheel base lines up, but I get the idea and like it.

Quick Reply: when will chevey come back out with the monty carlo and why did they give them up