Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

when will chevey come back out with the monty carlo and why did they give them up

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default when will chevey come back out with the monty carlo and why did they give them up

this is what i dont get one why did chevy stop with the monty carlo and second why didnt they still make them to this day. what where the sale's of the monty carlo wernt that high? also i think chevy should bring back the monty carlo's like they did with the comaro's

Old 11-20-2009, 09:29 PM
15 Year Member

please give your thaughts

Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the Camaro might have something to do with it to a degree, because by Chevy bringing it back, they now had a 2-door larger coupe again.

Also, the sales number on the Monte dropped off a lot in 2004, and remained down from 04-07 when they stopped making them completly.

This said, I would not be surprised if GM brings back the Monte Carlo sometime in the future. They seem to like killing a name plate, then bringing it back completly changed!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM
15 Year Member

i hope it wont leave us front wheel drive guys hanging out ro dry like chevy did ro the guys who have the older monty carlo's that are rear wheel drive.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

NOT advertising the Monte wasn't a good marketing idea either as far as sales go.

We've talked about Chevy not advertising the '06/07 Montes before. I don't think we could give a good answer why the car wasn't advertised? Other then to kill it off AGAIN!

You would think with the updates to the car versus 2000-05 Montes they would have wanted to get more cash back for the work involved?

Old 11-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

The Monte Carlo probably won't come back for a number of years, if at all. IMHO, they only kept it going because the name was in NASCAR. Now that's gone, and GM is going broke, AND the Camaro came out. No need for a car that won't sell.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:29 AM

Once GM got away from performance on the Montes, starting with the 5th gen, people looked the other way. I know a few that detest the shape of the monte, I can't imagine why lol, and the performance of these cars don't compare to the v-8's or turbo v-6's RWD. Being a FWD, the Monte was giving up a lot in power and performance to these RWD cars and if you wanted to go fast there was no need to buy a FWD with a 6 or and 8 'cause you were going to get beat down by them. GM should have gone back to RWD with the Montes and given them a power plant capable of moving the car, but at the same time make it economical when it came to fuel. I guess having 2 RWD performance cars from chevrolet is enough for GM.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Well said....if you look at what GM had been doing before the break up I believe they were droping the prix in favor of the bonnie since they had the G8 and like said earlyer with the return of the camaro and the sales of the Imp they really no longer had a home for Monte

Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 AM
15 Year Member

its a shme that we have the last of a car that dont exist any more. i hope to all that we can keep our monty caro's for ever due to the rareity.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

We've talked about Chevy not advertising the '06/07 Montes before. I don't think we could give a good answer why the car wasn't advertised? Other then to kill it off AGAIN!
GM was using the Nascar thing in their advertising for the Monte in the late 90's and up to 2001. The last tv commercials I can remember for the Monte were the commercials that had Dale Earnhardt Sr & Jr in them. I can't recall seeing any tv commercials for the Monte after Dale Sr died. Anyone else see any from 2002-2007? The only advertising I saw from 2002 to 2007, was brochures in Chevy showrooms.

You would think with the updates to the car versus 2000-05 Montes they would have wanted to get more cash back for the work involved?
I don't agree that they put much thought into the 2006 updated look. The changes are not all that drastic IMO. The interior changes were taken from the Impala. As well as the changes to the front end. But most of the car remained the same or similar to the 2005.

I think GM gave up on the Monte before the 2006 update.

With the Impala (and many other GM cars) being re-designed to be rear wheel drive in 2006, the existing Monte Carlo unibody didn't lend it'self to a RWD. Therefore a RWD 2006 Monte would've needed a complete redesign. And sales figures for the 2004 & 2005 Monte didn't support the time and expense needed for it.

I think GM decided to give the 2006 & 2007 Monte the updated look of the Impala, and dropped a FWD V8 engine to see if there would be a renewed interest in it. If sales figures had gone up, I'm sure GM would've given the Monte a complete redesign and we'd all be drooling over it right now. After all, let's face facts. By 2006, the Monte's body style was already 6 years old and desperately in need of a complete re-design.

But I saw with my own eyes, many brand new 2007 Monte Carlo SS V8's sitting on Chevy dealership lots well into the spring of 2009. NEVER SOLD. Eventually they were taken off the lots on car carriers. I saw this at more than one local Chevy dealer.

Quick Reply: when will chevey come back out with the monty carlo and why did they give them up