Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Wheelskin Blues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheelskin Blues

This morning I attempted to install my Wheelskins steering wheel cover, but ran into a couple of problems. The first problem appears to be the grip circumference. As I was threading the cover I noticed it was leaving a pretty good sized gap between the edges. No big deal I thought. If I pull the thread tighter it will meet up in the middle. Wrong! As I was pulling on the thread I broke it. Not once, not twice, but three times! Now I'm afraid the thread won't be long enough to complete the job. Even when I pulled it tight it still left a good sized gap between the edges. It is a size AXX, so it's the correct one for the application, but it just seems as though it is too small. Anyways, I have an email into Wheelskins to see if I can get another piece of thread and if they have any suggestions on how to get the grip circumference to stretch enough to fit the wheel without breaking the thread again...

Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM

Hi Mike, sorry to read that you are having a problem with your install. I know that Taz (Lou) also was having a difficult time installing his...Hopefully when he reads your thread that he can help on how he got his right...Also Mod Mike has one installed on his awesome Monte...

I'm sure the company should replace the thread, but you may have to pay for shipping

Wish you better luck & check back on your thread to see if any of our member's can advise....

Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Oh I have faith in them. I'm sure they will help me to resolve the problem. It's just that this little adventure has been one problem after the other since inception. First I was shipped the incorrect color combo, then the grip circumference appears to be too small and as a result of trying to tighting it I break the thread. It's becoming a bit discouraging, but I haven't given up. It was about 68 degrees when I was installing it. I'm wondering if I used a hair dryer to heat the leather if it would make it more pliable and it would stretch easier. I'm hoping they will have a solution when I hear back from them. Until then I'll just set my sights on the delivery of my Cold Air Induction CAI this coming Tuesday. That'll keep a smile on my face.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Before I put mine on I stretched it over the steering wheel the day before out in the hot sun. It is a chore pulling together but it worked.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Thanks Lisa for your advice & encouragement for Mike....

Don't give up Mike It's now a Challenge that I know that you will Win 4-Sure...

Keep us updated + Pictures when you complete

Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Montelicious
Before I put mine on I stretched it over the steering wheel the day before out in the hot sun. It is a chore pulling together but it worked.
Thanks for the tip Lisa, I appreciate it. I'll keep that in mind when I give it another go. Right now it's on hold until I hear back from Carol at Wheelskins about obtaining another piece of thread.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

And whatever you do, don't try to rush it, set aside at least 2 hours for this...also pull cord with one hand as you try to squeeze or touch the ends to meet with your other hand, takes some pressure off cord.
Here is some inspiration for you:

Old 08-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Those look like a pita to install, I'll just stick to my cheapo slip over cover my daughter got me for Christmas a couple years ago.....

Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM

Lol yeah they look like a pian, I was going to get one but ended up getting a leatherlike one thats all black with red stiching in it from O Riellys to match my car for 10 bucks instead of spending the money on one. Good luck getting it all straightened out though hope to see pics when you're done.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mine only meets in the middle in the thinner parts of the steering wheel. The fatter sections at the 10:00 and 2:00 points, my cover doesn't meet in the middle. It took me a couple hours the first try. But the cover was too loose at the posts, so I had to undo the stitching and tighten it up. There were many times I thought I was going to break the thread too. Luckily I didn't. I had about 4-5 inches of thread left when I was done.

The pics of mine are in my garage pics.

Quick Reply: Wheelskin Blues