Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Whats your thought on child support?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Default Whats your thought on child support?

My Dad has been paying child support for me my since I was 2 and continues to pay it now that I am 20 since he owes so much.
When I lived with him he always put himself before me, when he cooked food he cooked for himself.
When I needed shoes/clothes my Mom had to order me clothes online and send them to me because my Dad wouldn't buy me any, and when we did go shoe shopping he'd get a pair of shoes for $130 and told me I had to pick out a pair of $20 shoes. So that's when my Mom started buying me clothes. My Mom provided clothing, a cell phone, and sent me money when I needed it for lunch while my Dad just sat back and didn't do jack ****. He wouldn't even help me with my homework. We still communicated when I moved back with my Mom however last year when I had my Honda Accord I wrecked it and he never once asked if I was okay, instead he hung up on me (assuming I was going to ask him for money), stopped answering my phone calls, deleted me on Facebook and blocked me from even finding his profile.
My question is do you guys think after everything he has done to me that he should be paying child support still? Give me your thoughts.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I think it technically depends on the agreement decided in court from a divorce or just about child support. My mom only had to pay my dad until I was 18 for child support, I think anyways. To me it seems like a parent should continue to help out if they can and in your situation it sounds like your dad could definately afford to help you out at least a little. I think child support usually stops at 18 or after college if you go that route but again I think it just depends on what agreement was reached. I totally agree with you though that he should help you out. Kinda sucks that he's ignoring you. I've had that sort of thing go on with both parents where I didn't speak to them too much but things got better over time, hope the same will happen for you. Even if he can't help you financially your still his son maybe some day he'll realize that. Again I don't know your exact situation so it's hard to say but I've kind of been through the same thing just maybe not as extreme.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I payed child support and insurance child support was 380 plus health insurance was another 450, Plus school uniforms book fee and this and that. A parent has the responsibility to take care of there children until the can take care of themselves.
For me it was when my son was 18 and dropped out of school and didn't tell me so child support ended then. If your still in school he owes it to help.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:11 PM

My Dad only pays $70 a week. That's how easy he's got it

Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by jwjones
My Dad only pays $70 a week. That's how easy he's got it
If your still in school I believe that your entitled to asking for more legally but I really have no clue. (May need a lawyer/set up a court appearance sort of thing) If you can prove that you need more financial help and that he has the funds that should be going to you then it's worth a shot to get more but I think after 18 parents aren't required to support anymore unless your still living at home/going to college.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I belive your dad should continue to fullfill his obligation..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was put into Foster homes at 05 yrs to 12 yrs old. No mom, had a job delivering papers at 13, worked at the state fair during the day while it was in town at the Grand Stand, Gas filling stations, car lots washing cars and joined the US Army at 17 in 1973. Never asked my parent for a dime outside what he could provide on a truck driver salary. Mom was in prison and then moved to another state and re-married. Life is going to be tough, dont hold your hand out, get busy and get it done, sounds like you will need a crow bar to pry any more money from your dad. I think your actually really heart broken that a dad (Sperm donor) was not a good father to you and for that he should be sorry, bet you would be a great son and both of you could make some good memories. He loses, you need to take care of your mom and maybe he will one day see the error of his ways. If not, dont be the same to your children, be a Super trooper father, and you will find the happiness and fullfillment your looking for. I probably go overboard with my kids and granddaughter, but I love to see them smile. Take care, you are your own Captain.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 AM

Like Zippy02 I will speak from a few different perspectives. I have a song that I would like you to listen to but I don't know how to make it available to you. I have it on my I-Phone and listen to it every once in a while. The song is sung by a country music group called the O'Kanes and the title of the song is "Daddy's Need To Grow Up Too". I think if you listen to it you will get some insight.
With this being said you must understand that boys as young as ten years old have the capability of becoming a father. Just because they have that capability doesn't mean that they should become fathers. As you age you will notice that people develope at different ages both physically and mentally so there are some people that have a twenty year old body but a twelve year old mentality. A sperm and an egg don't care what the mentality of the donor happen to be. The other part of this is that a lot of people who have sex are just wanting to have a good time and have no intention of creating a new life. With the above factors it is oftenly difficult to accept that something that could be as little as twenty minutes of fun has a life time of responsibility and some people refuse to step up to the plate and take on that responsibility. The reasons for this can be diverse.
Having a child is more than just a financial responsibility.

My own father provided for me financially. I never had a need for new shoes or clothes, I never went to bed hungry. I always had a roof over my head. I was the oldest of five children. My father was and is an alcoholic. He was also a disciplinarian and felt the only was to nurture was to beat us into submission with either his hand or a belt. As we aged he employed emotional abuse as well as the physical abuse and would steal from us. He pit each of his children against each other and kept us sheltered and ignorant for as long as he could. His abuse and manipulation didn't stop. Until I got counseling after a suicide attempt and decided that having my father in my life was not healthy. I have not spoken to him now in about six or seven years. My own health is more important and you need to protect yourself as well.

As far as whether your father should support you after you turn 18, this is what I think. From your description your father is selfish and needs to grow up. Some people never do so you have to accept that if it is the case because you can't do anything to change that. If your father is delinquent on payments from your youth then that is owed. Once you turn 18 you are concidered an adult by law and are responsible for yourself. When it comes to child support many men get the shaft. Women have all the rights because they carried the child and many men have to pay unfair amounts of support that doesn't allow them to support themselves.
You can't force your father to be responsible, you can't force him to have a relationship with you either. If you focus on it it will tear you apart. I know it bothers you and it hurts. You may want to talk to a counselor to help .

Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm truly sorry so many of you had father not worthy of you my father was just there to make a donation to my mother to have me and than split from the scene. I only knew my step father and he was a wonderful man. I learned from him to love and support your children and your family. Here in Louisiana its how much you make depends on the amount of child support you pay. I payed more than what was required by the courts. And when I married my current wife she has two kids that there dad didnt take care of and I always remembered my step dad who took care of me and my sister and how he loved us. These children now belong to me I may not have made the sperm donation but I'm there dad.

Quick Reply: Whats your thought on child support?