Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: what do you think?
It looks sweet
13.04%
it's ok
26.09%
nice try but it's kinda ugly
39.13%
come on man you can do better...it's bad
4.35%
I plead the 5th
13.04%
(other please specify)
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

what ya think

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default what ya think

ok so i made this for my stereo... i want your oppinion how you think it looks good/bad whatever...

it had no beauty trim when i got the stereo and so i made one it's home made.. i don't have a enginiering degree or work with thin aluminum like this often so it's rought

i do have a reason for this i'll reveal that later

Last edited by Budsjlm; 01-31-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Hey man if it does the job thats all you need.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Just get the lines straightened up and such and it will be sexy.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

not bad i like it

Old 01-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can't really straigthen a piece like that very well.... I've tried. Not to say ti can't be done, but it's very hard. You'd have to lay it on a hard flat surface (like a metal table/bench) and take a light hammer and lightly tap it out. But I don't think you'd ever get it right, unless you're darn good with a hammer and working aluminum.

I've never put a first thought into changing a radio on anything I've owned. As logn as I can hear the music, I'm fine, but I know that many people need to hear that base and have top quality music in their cars... and that's fine. Maybe you could leave the stock radio in for looks and hide your aftermarket radio under your seat or in your glove box? This is what alot of guys with older cars who do want better sound systems do.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

Justin it serves the need you made it for. Tin is difficult to work with if your not accustome to working with it. you have it cut to shape perfect and the top and sides fit nicely the bottom appears as tho you were rushed and hurried to make it fit. I know you were taking care of Jack at the time so you may not have had the time you would have liked. It looks good and tin was a brave choice. Other options would be sheet alluminum grab small sections at the hardware and use your piece as the template..the alluminum is a bit more forgiving than tin, everthing anyone does is just practice and learning for the future and for you it's the Monte you're bringing back to life.....

Last edited by jarheadbobandmax; 01-31-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

like everyone else said, justin, it does a good job of filling in the gap, it just does not really fit well set into the woodgrain & tan plastic interior peices. personally, i think i would look around for a thicker peice of plastic material that is flat that you could cut to fit the entire hole from behind the dash like a radio - deleate panel. then cut the center of the deleate panel out so that the back of the radio slides in and the faceplate hides the edges. IDK where you would find the plastic though...

Old 01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Tin and other thin metals are very difficult to work with. If you're using hand-held snips as a cutting tool you have to be very careful, taking your time while snipping to get a decent edge.

One suggestion I have is you can buy contact paper with a wood type grain. But a sheet and cover your tin work with it. Then it will go along with the interior better. And the contact paper will help hide any imperfections on your metal work.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

looks good so far =D

Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rj

One suggestion I have is you can buy contact paper with a wood type grain. But a sheet and cover your tin work with it. Then it will go along with the interior better. And the contact paper will help hide any imperfections on your metal work.

I agree with what RJ said.

Not to crap on your work or anything. I know you're trying to do your own work, and that's what's important. Learning new things, and making things better.

I don't think the silver/aluminum look is going to work in this case.

Personally, I would go with a plain black filler insert. It's gotten to be commonly accepted with aftermarket systems anyway.

It may be hard to find an exact matching wood grain contact paper. But would definitely fit in with your dash better than the aluminum look.

Another idea is to make the filler piece black, and use some pin striping tape in a color of your choice. The tape already has the crisp straight edge you're looking for.

Quick Reply: what ya think