Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What do you think of these?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
A little after the fact, but you should always replace the lifters, springs, retainers and locks when you install a higher lift cam in a previously stock engine. The additional lift of the new cam may be all it takes to break a worn, fatigued spring. BTW - did you check for spring binding at full lift? You ever see the cylinder wall of an engine that dropped a valve? It's not a pretty sight. The majority of the time the scoring on the walls is so bad the engine is basically a paper weight. Another reason to replace all of the above is it also gives you access to replace the stem seals. Again, the higher lift cam will elongate the (old, worn) seals (and wear out the guides) and the engine will start burning oil.
Thanks, that's something I didn't know about. These are supposed to be drop in cams with no need for replacing any of that stuff. When I get them and me and my mechanic start to install them, if he thinks that stuff needs to be replaced then we will go a head and do it. My car still has pretty low miles so I would think everything would be ok. But again, I will make sure I keep an eye out and make sure we inspect all of that stuff. Thanks again.