Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What do you suppose would happen if ...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Default What do you suppose would happen if ...?

I was just thinking about the new CAFE standards of 2015 and 2025 where the average fuel economy for new vehicles is being raised to something like 35 and then 50 miles per gallon. To me it sounds like a fleet of electrics and gasoline cars that are the size of Smart Cars. I for one don't want either. If they can make my Town & Country get 50 miles to the gallon I am for that. If it means I have to get into a roller skate to get 50 miles per gallon then I'm not interested. I fear that all the big cars are going the way of the dinosaur. I want my big car.
I was also thinking that when the first CAFE standards came into effect Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and the rest of the imports were in favor because their fleet of vehicles met the standard without an issue. It made Detroit scramble because they did not. As it stands now Toyota could sell only the Prius and still not meet the 2025 standard.
So I thought what would happen if all the manufacturers collaborated and collectively said to the US government we don't care what the CAFE mandate is. We are not going to build cars no one wants to buy to meet your standard. We won't do it. I know that if just one manufacturer did it the government would put them out of business, but what if the whole industry did it? What do you think would happen? Would the government put them all out of business or would it be the end of this ridiculous standard? I venture to bet it would be the end of the Cafe standard. What do you think?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Sounds like the same thing we the people should say to our Government concerning taxes. I'd like to see it happen. Our government is too big for its britches.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thrillseeker
Sounds like the same thing we the people should say to our Government concerning taxes. I'd like to see it happen. Our government is too big for its britches.
I happen to agree. I am exploring the possibility of a run for the White House in 2016 to see if I can make a difference. Too much of our government is controlled by the top one percent of our citizens and that isn't good for the remaining 99 percent. I have a thread in this section dealing with many of these issues. Check it out if you see fit. Gregg.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with you i'm noticing new GM cars have smaller and smaller engines. Used to be 2.4 and 2.2, now down to 2.0, 1.8 and even 1.4 I'd had to see the bigger cars go, especially SUV's and trucks. Little cars are not comfortable like larger cars are such as our monte's. New ones have cheap interiors, hard seats, rough rides and skinny tires. There are still plenty of auto makers that could care less about the standards but it seems to only be expensive cars such as Rolls Royce and such.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I agree with you i'm noticing new GM cars have smaller and smaller engines. Used to be 2.4 and 2.2, now down to 2.0, 1.8 and even 1.4 I'd had to see the bigger cars go, especially SUV's and trucks. Little cars are not comfortable like larger cars are such as our monte's. New ones have cheap interiors, hard seats, rough rides and skinny tires. There are still plenty of auto makers that could care less about the standards but it seems to only be expensive cars such as Rolls Royce and such.
Rolls Royce and cars in that niche market pay a hefty gas guzzler tax. When you can pay upwards of 100k for a car, what's another ten grand for taxes? For you and me it is a big deal. For the rich that are buying a Rolls to begin with it is nothing more than a mild annoyance.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

It prob be cheaper for the car companys to get together & say no to these rules there gonna spend a ton of money developing these cars that honestly most ppl dont want, ill stick to my gas guzzling v8 high hp cars

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member

probally would be cheaper for them to revolt against the change. And i agree, i prefer raw v8 power. Not tiny turbocharged 4 cylinder engines.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
It prob be cheaper for the car companys to get together & say no to these rules there gonna spend a ton of money developing these cars that honestly most ppl dont want, ill stick to my gas guzzling v8 high hp cars
X2 , Love my V8 powered cars..

Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
probally would be cheaper for them to revolt against the change. And i agree, i prefer raw v8 power. Not tiny turbocharged 4 cylinder engines.
I do like the V-8 but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Both of my Town & Country minivans have 3.8 V-6 engines and they are powerful enough to smoke the tires. ( It wasn't intentional and surprised the crap out of me when I planted the gas and there where two black lines on the pavement. Made me proud. Lol) and they move the vans well enough. I used to have a 96 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.5 V-6 and it was a gutsy engine too. I have also driven a few 80's Thunderbird Turbo Coupes with the 2.3 turbo and also the same vintage Dodge Daytona Shelby with the 2.2 turbo and both those cars were gutsy too. I am not opposed to turbo four bangers and V-6's but there won't be any of those either if the government gets its way.
I want a car that will move when I have a need to stomp the gas pedal and something I can load the whole family in and go.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member

There, thats how you word it. You can take the whole family with you and it can get out of its own way when the need comes.

Quick Reply: What do you suppose would happen if ...?