Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What do u think about this Monte

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What do u think about this Monte

We were talking to this guy at the end of last summer about buying this car. It was listed for $7500 then, now he has finally lowered it to 7K. I love the looks of it and the only thing I dont like is it appears to have a surfboard spoiler. There are not too many cars I can get her to even think about owning. We would have to sell her Impala 71 first but this thing has been for sale a long time. I may email him and ask for more info. What are your guys opinions and what about the price? Thanks

2002 Monte Carlo SS
102,xxx miles
Black heated leather seats
3800 V6
Tinted windows
Razzi body kit (not in production anymore)
Blacked out head lights and tail lights
Dual Exhaust with Stainless steel tips (loud)
Red LED's inside and out
VERY CLEAN
Aftermarket air filter
Aftermarket CD player
Black powder coated rims with red bow tie.
Must see in person to appreciate the work i've put into this.
Drives great, runs great.
$7000 or best cash offer or ill trade for another car or truck(4x4) as long as i get at least $5000 out of mine
Text or call-----765-seven zero two 80 seven one
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2175135231

Last edited by 77gp; 02-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it's too much money. The car was most likely abused which means the transmission is going to fail soon. You can still buy the Razzi kit, so the not in production thing is a lie.

In good condition without the mods the car would probably be only worth $5,500 and we all know that aftermarket mods does not increase the value of a car.

Also I don't know the local laws in your area, but around here I could see getting pulled over and having to fix the darkness of the tint, headlights, and tails

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with everything he ^ said...

Joe

Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM

5 Year Member

I could probably get away with the tinted windows. Headlight covers probably take them off anyways. This boy is a college student I do know that at Ball State University. What do u think its worth? He is pretty firm I think considering how long he has had it for sale, but money does talk.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not shopped for a Monte since I bought mine in '08... But I found that just because Kelly Blue Book said it was worth X, people asked grossly OVER X. So, to determine if the price is fair, it depends on what you were seeing comparable vehicles selling for. Back in '08, that deal you listed might have fallen into the "OK deal" (it was too old and too many miles for my target, but the price was more fair then what I was seeing). Montes of that age/mileage around me with those options (excluding mods) were well over $10,000 (ask was probably $14,000).

But, as Chibi mentioned, be watchful for signs of abuse....

Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Well he has "done so much" for the car he wants to recoup some of his losses I'm sure.

But I wouldn't go any more than $6k for the car, but would shoot for 5,200 - 5,500.

Remember, he probably still has the stock struts and mounts. Transmission was probably never flushed nor filter changed. So that's all work that would need to get done sooner than later I'm sure.

I mean, realistically I LOVE my car, but if I were to sell it, people would be looking at an 11 year old car with 175,000 miles and wouldn't want to spend more than 3,500 on it. It looks nice, but you'll probably be spending a good amount for upkeep.

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 02-11-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I wouldn't buy a car that was previously modified.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
I wouldn't buy a car that was previously modified.
Neither would I. Unless it was someone I knew really well, and knew that the car was well cared for. Like Chibi Mike's. I would buy his, because I know how well he takes care of his Monte.

In addition to what Chibi Mike already mentioned, I noticed the exhaust system. In the ad he states that it's loud. Not sure if your wife, or your local police, would like the loud exhaust. If not, you'd have to demod the exhaust. His aftermarket air filter is most likely a drop in K&N filter. Not bad. I have one myself. But wouldn't necessarily use it in an ad as a performance mod. "Aftermarket CD player"... What brand? Was it installed professionally, or hacked together in his driveway? You may be looking at a wiring nightmare there.

This seller obviously wants to sell the car for Blue Book value, plus the cost of his mods. That ain't gonna happen. Most people don't like buying modded cars for the reasons already stated. That's why many members here demod and sell the mods before selling the "restored-to-stock" car.

Basically, from the sounds of it, you would remove the headlight and taillight tinting (covers), and possibly the exhaust. And you'd have an overpriced 9 year old Monte that was most likely abused.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

The car looks nice, but a kid owned it. He beat the crap outta' that thing! Still a nice car

Chibi is all over this. If you wanna buy it I suggest you take him with you to negotiate the price

Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 PM

5 Year Member

Well thanks for all the input. We couldnt sell her Impala till spring time anyways. Too darn nasty out there and it needs the winter cleaned off. Since he has had it for sale so long, it may still be for sale in a couple months. Input taken.

Quick Reply: What do u think about this Monte