Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What car would you have if the Monte Carlo didn't exist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

An Impala of the same vintage. Just the right size.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM

My Monte was inherited. I've driven it on and off for school and work, when my mom still owned it. I like the power and solidity of the ride and the its profile is just elegant. Any other car choice would be based on design and performance.
1st choice - A 1st gen Camaro. The body design just flows like the MC. It is sleek and with a bit a growl.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Actually went to the dealership to look an alero ss and it was sold. Probably would have bought a Grand Prix or an Impala. Still glad I found m
my Monte tho.

Last edited by lougreen03; 11-20-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Today, 04:20 AM ~*
lougreen03

Hi `Lou, you are up early in the morn'in : ) Member's, what were you doing @ 4:20 AM this Morning ?
Think'in about what car you would purchase `if there was never a Monte Carlo ? LOL
We EnJoy this thread 4 =Sure : )

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i'd probibly be driving the '84 oldsmobile custom cruser station wagon i was playing around with before i bought the monte. only it wouolda actually wound up black with a set of slotted mag wheels & one of the 350 engines my dad has laying around instead of the boat anchor 307 turd. i had big plans for that car, and it was actually nicer than the monte when i got it. but it seemed like for every one thing i did to make it nicer, 2 things broke. washed it, and then all the door / window seals started to leak, and the rear passenger door stopped opening. fix the electric carb / distributor, and it craps out on me with no liscance and 10 year expired tags at the farthest possible spot from my house. finally said eff it and junked it & bought the monte. i still miss that car, but IDK why, lol

Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 PM

I would have gone with the GTO or new Camaro.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by lougreen03
Actually went to the dealership to look an alero ss and it was sold. Probably would have bought a Grand Prix or an Impala. Still glad I found may Monte tho.
Oldmobile Alero SS? Never heard of that.

Well I guess I'll answer now. Reasons for passing on each model are in parentheses. I was looking at Mustang GT's (RWD, no heated leather until 2007, no sunroof, no dual climate), GTO's (RWD, no heated leather, no sunroof, no dual climate), G35's (RWD, $$$), 350Z's (RWD, no back seat, hatch), V6 Accord coupes (foreign), Tiburon GT's (slow and foreign), and RX-8's (RWD, rotary reliability, terrible MPG for small car/small engine). I probably had others on the list as well.

When putting them all into consideration, the Monte just had so many more features and the looks. Seemed like the best bet, but if I couldn't have had it, I'd probably be in a Mustang GT.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by RickAKATed10
Oldmobile Alero SS? Never heard of that.

Well I guess I'll answer now. Reasons for passing on each model are in parentheses. I was looking at Mustang GT's (RWD, no heated leather until 2007, no sunroof, no dual climate), GTO's (RWD, no heated leather, no sunroof, no dual climate), G35's (RWD, $$$), 350Z's (RWD, no back seat, hatch), V6 Accord coupes (foreign), Tiburon GT's (slow and foreign), and RX-8's (RWD, rotary reliability, terrible MPG for small car/small engine). I probably had others on the list as well.

When putting them all into consideration, the Monte just had so many more features and the looks. Seemed like the best bet, but if I couldn't have had it, I'd probably be in a Mustang GT.
....and in my opinion, aside from the Stang and GTO (assuming it was an '05-or '06), the Monte was better looking than all of them! :p

Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Yeah, pretty much.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Well, this time last month I was driving a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse. After the guy behind me made me into an Eclipse sandwich, I was looking for another Eclipse (3rd Gen body style, the 4th gens haven't grown on me yet.) That was my 3rd Eclipse, and 4th Mitsubishi. However, when I couldn't find what I was looking for, I widened the search.

Looked at a 2001 Sebring Coupe (in rougher shape appearance-wise) a 2000 Honda Accord V6 (in REALLY rough shape outside and in, FELT like it was falling apart on the test drive) and ran across a 1995 Lexus SC (V8, 15 years old, RWD, but was beautiful - had been painted, but paint was nice and shiney, even if it was red.)

This 2001 Monte was actually the only one of it's kind on my list to look at, due to the extremely reasonable price (if you've read my newbie post, you'll know why it was priced so reasonably.) Once I drove it, I fell in love, but I'd never have been able to afford it without the problems I bought along with it. Hopefully, all I have left is to get the missing parts in that I've ordered, and have the dealer put them on.

Cliff Notes version of my problems: Test drove it, told the dealer the Service traction stuff was lit, he offered me a 90 day warranty to go with it, and dropped his asking price by $1000. Bought it, drove it 50 miles home, halfway the Check Engine light came on. Took it to local dealer the next day, turns out the original, CA Emissions engine was replaced with a Federal Emissions engine, and the CA Emissions pieces were MIA. Had to order them from 4 different places, as 4 hoses/pipes were discontinued.

While waiting for the parts to come in, I took it back to the dealer to have them deal with the Traction System and the transmission seems to be shifting hard. Warranty doesn't cover the Hub, would have covered the bearings. Covered only half the Transmission repair, so I'm out of pocket $1400, but it feels so much better!

Anyway, I'd probably have been driving another 3rd Gen Eclipse.

Last edited by Danariel; 11-05-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Quick Reply: What car would you have if the Monte Carlo didn't exist?