Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What is the best American-made automobile?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What is the best American-made automobile?

Elite 8 American Cars

What is the best American-made automobile? You choose by picking from these 8 players. Game on!

Member's, pick the one that you think is best ?
& if it's not on the below list...Post the one American Vehicle that is the best to you ?

<CITE sizcache="51" sizset="124">By Kirk Bell of MSN Autos</CITE>

Click to enlarge picture

To the true sports fan, no other annual event is like March Madness. The 64 best college basketball teams in the United States compete in venues countrywide in a single, head-to-head, lose-one-and-you-are-done elimination tournament to determine a national champion. It's intense, on and off the court. In 2012, the competition has been fierce, and there have been a number of serious upsets.
Unfortunately, domestic automakers have no such tournament to decide the bestvehicle to come out of the Motor City. So in honor of the NCAA tournament's Elite Eight weekend, we've decided to pit our eight domestic favorites head-to-head and let you choose which is the best of the best from Chrysler, Ford and General Motors. These vehicles all deliver excellent value, satisfying driving dynamics and the utility their buyers need.
After you check out the candidates, go to the MSN Autos Poll at the bottom of any page to vote for your favorite.
Bing: Best American Automobiles
Luxury: Cadillac CTS

Click to enlarge picture

The Cadillac CTS is the worthy competitor in this class, the best among a clutch of unworthy rivals. We certainly like the Chrysler 300, but it straddles the line between standard and luxury. The CTS offers plenty of power, athletic moves and a roomy and high-quality interior. It stands out as an elegant yet sporty midsize car that is a credible rival for a cadre of European cars that are among the best in the world. The high-performance Cadillac CTS-V can go toe-to-toe with heavyweights such as the BMW M3 and Mercedes AMG. Too bad no other U.S. automaker competes as well with those cars. We're looking at you, Lincoln.
View Slideshow: Car and Driver's 2012 '10Best' Cars
Passenger Car: Ford Fusion

Click to enlarge picture

It wasn't too long ago that no domestic midsize sedan was competitive with the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Thanks to refinements made for the 2010 modelyear, the Ford Fusion is one of the better family sedans on the market. It offers a quality interior, pleasant road manners, a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder base engine and a powerful V6 option. The Fusion beats out the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu because the Malibu is offered only as a mild hybrid. The Malibu may surpass the current Fusion when two more engines are added this summer, but the next Fusion, due late this year, looks like a great leap forward.
Compare: Ford Fusion vs. Chevrolet Malibu vs. Chrysler 200
Sports Car: Chevrolet Corvette

Click to enlarge picture

Until the Viper returns later this year, this time as an SRT model instead of as a Dodge, the Corvette has no domestic sports-car competition. Still, no list of the best American cars is complete without the Corvette. It offers performance to meet or beat its European and Japanese rivals at prices that are often tens of thousand of dollars less. Even in base trim, the Corvette is an elite performer, but we prefer the beefier brakes, firmer suspension and larger tires you get with the Grand Sport, which starts at $56,000 for the coupe and $59,600 for the convertible.
View Slideshow: The 600-Horsepower Club
Pony Car/Sports Coupe: Ford Mustang

Click to enlarge picture

Until recently, the Mustang was sitting there, an easy target. Yet when Dodge and Chevrolet developed pony cars of their own, they couldn't match it. It weighs 300 pounds less than the Challenger and 200 pounds less than the Camaro, making it more agile through corners and more fun to drive overall. Its 5.0-liter V8engine also revs more willingly than the other cars' V8s, so its power is more accessible. For 2013, Ford makes the Mustang even better by tuning the steering for sharper responses and giving the GT trim eight more horsepower. Our favorite Mustang is the Boss 302. It is practically track-ready, yet it still rides well enough to be used as a daily driver.
Watch Video: 2012 Ford Mustang
Try the new MSN Autos mobile app, available on multiple platforms.
Utility Vehicle: Dodge Durango

Click to enlarge picture

Domestic automakers are at the forefront of the midsize crossover segment. The Buick Enclave/ GMC Acadia/ Chevrolet Traverse kicked off the switch from trucklike SUVs to more carlike and efficient crossovers in 2006, and Ford and Dodge have since built even better models. We prefer the Dodge Durango among this closely matched group for its combination of on-road dynamics, classy cabin, fine engines and rugged good looks. We also prefer the 3.6-liter V6 engine because it offers plenty of power and improved fuel economy over the brawny but thirsty 5.7-liter Hemi V8. The addition of an 8-speed automatic transmission later this year should further improve the V6's power and efficiency.
Read: 5 Family Haulers With Personality
Pickup: Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Click to enlarge picture

American automakers consistently set the tone for the full-size pickup segment, and no manufacturer does it better than Ford. The F-Series pickup has been the best-selling full-size truck for 35 straight years, and with good reason. Its winning combination of refinement and capability was further enhanced for the 2011 model year, when Ford introduced four new engines. All are notable improvements in terms of power and fuel economy, but we are especially impressed with the turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6. It delivers more usable power with greater efficiency than any rival's V8. Plus, Ford offers a model for every taste, from a basic work truck to high-end luxury haulers to the SVT Raptor extreme off-roader.
See: New Trucks With Over 10,000 Pounds Towing Capacity
Van: Dodge Grand Caravan

Click to enlarge picture

While the Dodge Grand Caravan has always offered the space and utility that families need, we wouldn't have been comfortable recommending it before last year. The vehicle was simply too sloppy on the road and offered outdated engines, and the interior just felt cheap. The update to the 2011 model reined in the ride, introduced a more powerful and efficient engine, and improved the design and materials of the interior. Now we rate it right up there with its Japanese rivals. We chose the Grand Caravan over its Chrysler sibling the Town & Country based on price. Both are essentially the same vehicle, but the Grand Caravan sells for less than $30,000, while the Chrysler starts at $30K, though it offers more equipment.
Compare: Dodge Grand Caravan vs. Chrysler Town & Country vs. Toyota Sienna
Hybrid: Chevrolet Volt

Click to enlarge picture

The Volt may not be selling well, but that's a function of its $40,000 sticker price, not the quality of the car. Chevrolet calls it an extended-range electric vehicle (EREV) because it runs almost exclusively on electricity, but if it has a gasoline engine and one or more electric motors, it's a hybrid. The Volt impresses for how much it feels like a regular car. Power is about the same as a typical 4-cylinder engine, and the ride and handling are pleasant. You can fill it with gas and never use the electric range, or you can plug it in every night and rarely use gas. If prices of the Volt and other EREVs can come down, Americans will accept them in much greater numbers as the next "green" alternative.
================================================== ===========================================
I think it's the Chevy Monte Carlo

Last edited by Space; 03-25-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

In my opinion the Corvette! The Vette is one of the BEST cars, it's a super car, with a middle class price tag! I absolutely love the Corvette's.

4-Door Sedan, the new 2013 Malibu! I think it's a HOT 4-door sedan. But I would wait for the new Ecotec 2.5L 4Cyl...supposedly good for at least 190HP. Rumar has it there may be an SS or RS version of the Mailbu that will share the 260 HP 2.0L Ecotec Turbo too.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

If there was only gonna be 1 car I think I have to say Cadillac. I love my monte but those Cadillac's are really nice. I just drove my buddies last night and it's like riding on a cloud.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Dodge Viper ACR!!! One amazing powerhouse of a car made for ppl that can drive, its just pure evil

Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
In my opinion the Corvette! The Vette is one of the BEST cars, it's a super car, with a middle class price tag! I absolutely love the Corvette's.

4-Door Sedan, the new 2013 Malibu! I think it's a HOT 4-door sedan. But I would wait for the new Ecotec 2.5L 4Cyl...supposedly good for at least 190HP. Rumar has it there may be an SS or RS version of the Mailbu that will share the 260 HP 2.0L Ecotec Turbo too.
Thanks, Mod Michael for your post & picks. You are one of the fortunate ones that has the oppurtunity to enjoy the lastest generation Corvette I envy you
EnJoy your Sunday & Life,
Peace from `Space

Originally Posted by lougreen03
If there was only gonna be 1 car I think I have to say Cadillac. I love my monte but those Cadillac's are really nice. I just drove my buddies last night and it's like riding on a cloud.

Hi Lou,
I've never had the chance to ride on a Cloud, but I'd love to have a new Caddy Coupe

4-Sure

I think I came close to riding on a Cloud when I was a younger teen & experimented with some funny smoke
I felt a little like I was riding on a Cloud or wild surf

I was to much of a health nut + my grandfather's teachings
ceased my future experimentation's Everyone states that I'm spacey enough & always `high on life without any drugs in my system (besides 2 much coffee) ....I just thought I may get higher with a natural plant...Now, caffiene has me hyper enough..

I hope/wish that you & Member's Auto`Dreams come true for you....I'm always dream'in, but I do live in my own DreamWorld...LOL

Peace/Happiness from `Space

Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Dodge Viper ACR!!! One amazing powerhouse of a car made for ppl that can drive, its just pure evil

Hi `Mike, you have excellence `Evil taste in auto's 4-Sure LOL
I like this 2000 Viper below...I love the ones with side exhaust & the powerful sounds from the V-10 WoW

Weight: - 3254 lbs
0-60 mph: - 3.8 sec
Top speed: - 200 mph

Mike thanks for your posts & all your contributions 4-Sure.
Peace/Out from `Space

Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to go for the Corvette myself.

Best power/driveability for the money.