Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

American-Made Automobiles? + Sexiest Cars of All Time + more

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question American-Made Automobiles? + Sexiest Cars of All Time + more

What Are the Most American-Made Automobiles?

<CITE>By Evan Griffey of MSN Autos</CITE>

"Made in America" doesn't mean the same thing it did during this country's manufacturing heyday, especially when it comes to automobiles. Luckily for those flag-waving car buyers who wish to express their nationalism by purchasing a vehicle built mostly by American workers, the American Automobile Labeling Act of 1992 requires automakers to list the percentage of United States and Canadian parts, the country of assembly and the origin of the engine and transmission for every model sold.
Click through to see the ten 2012 vehicles that are the most "made in America."
Post your comments below...(I was surprised)...Yes, we now have World Production on Planet `Earth

Last edited by Space; 09-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 AM

FEATURED POST

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo Features 259 HP, Base Price of $27,710 <~ WoW Expensive I think ?

By Jake Lingeman

By AutoWeek Fri 2:19 PM

The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo will go on sale this fall with a price of $27,710. Upgraded LTZ models will sticker at $30,925. Both include $995 in destination. ~> WoW

This is the Malibu we've been waiting for. Though the base car and Eco model are both great sedans, the line needed something a little more exciting. The turbocharged engine is a good start. The 2.0-liter unit is the same one that can be found in the Buick Regal turbo and makes 259 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. That's good for a top speed of 155 mph and a 0-to-60 time of 6.3 seconds. Add an EPA rating of 21 mpg in the city and 30 on the highway, and we might have a winner.

More

Last edited by Space; 09-25-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 AM

2013 Aston Martin DB9 Doubles Down with Vaunted V12
a `Space Dream Ride 4-Sure

By Greg Migliore

By AutoWeek Sat 5:37 AM

The 2013 Aston Martin DB9 is getting a power boost thanks to parts and pieces from under the hood of the upcoming Vanquish.

The updated DB9 borrows some of the engine architecture and hardware from the Vanquish, enabling output from the 5.9-liter V12 to reach 510 hp and 457 lb-ft of torque. Those are considerable increases compared with today's car, which is rated at 470 hp and 443 lb-ft of torque.

The British sports-car maker calls this latest generation of engine the “Gen4 VH architecture.”<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

Aston says the engine has an updated block, revised intake manifold and uprated fuel pump. The sprint to 62 mph is accomplished in 4.6 seconds, a whisker faster than previously (4.8 seconds). Top speed is now 183 mph, a touch slower than 186 mph from the last version.

By comparison, the Ferrari-fighting Vanquish makes 565 hp and 457 lb-ft from a 5.9-liter V12, and it arrives early next year (“Aston Amazes,” Autoweek, June 25, 2012). The fortified DB9 is part of a streamlined Aston portfolio, as the Virage has ended production.

The DB9 launches in November in the United States. Prices start at $187,515, including destination and gas-guzzler fees. It will be offered in coupe and Volante (convertible) styles.

The changes for 2013 also include carbon-ceramic discs and calipers from Brembo and adaptive damping for the chassis that can run in normal, sport and track modes. Plus, carbon packages will be available as upgrades to the interior and exterior.

2013 Aston Martin DB9: First Look

Body: aluminum, magnesium alloy and steel; 2+2 configuration

Engine: 5.9-liter (5,935-cc) V12; 510 hp, 457 lb-ft

Gearbox: rear, mid-mounted six-speed automatic

Base Wheels: 20-inch five-spoke cast alloy

Quotable: Andy Haslam, DB9 product manager: “Taking the best elements of Virage, adding important new upgrades, and combining these with the iconic DB9 nomenclature, we have created a compelling new sports GT that sits proudly at the very heart of the Aston Martin sports car range.”

Last edited by Space; 09-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Wow. 510 HP DB9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to sit back and watch that go down a track!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Wow. 510 HP DB9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to sit back and watch that go down a track!

Hi `Devin, I thought that you would enjoy the above post .
I think you should've posted "I'd love to be behind the wheel when I take it down the track or on my favorite roads"
I do love the DB9 & would love to drive one someday..
I love the looks, the power, the sounds & workmanship

Old 09-25-2012, 07:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space

Hi `Devin, I thought that you would enjoy the above post .
I think you should've posted "I'd love to be behind the wheel when I take it down the track or on my favorite roads"
I do love the DB9 & would love to drive one someday..
I love the looks, the power, the sounds & workmanship
I'd be afraid to break and or wreck it!

but yes do be able just to take one for a spin would be a dream come true!
And your right, the looks, power, sound everything, its a perfect car!
It's not as fast as some of the "super cars" as the lambo's and such, but it's elegance lets it fit right into that group.
It is an amazing machine, my favorite car bar far, if only Chevy could take that idea and badge it as a Monte Carlo SS.. hmm

Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Question The Sexiest Cars of All Time

My stick shift is bigger then yours (LOL)
The Sexiest Cars of All Time ? Member's, what cars do you think are Sexy ? ? (LOL)

<CITE>By Marc Lachapelle of MSN Autos</CITE>

A car can be sexy in the same way a person can be sexy — although the trait is a bit harder to define when you're talking about sheet metal versus flesh. Part of a sexy car's appeal is purely physical: proportions and curves, size and muscle. Humans have eyes, lips and hips; cars have headlights, grilles and fenders. But then there's the truly intangible — the animal attraction that turns mere mortals into drooling buffoons. For this, a machine must be bold, distinctive and aggressively elegant. And there's the sound, too — a car's voice. A beautiful car you admire. A sexy one you desire. Here are our 10 choices for the sexiest cars of all time. They are not necessarily the most beautiful of their breed, but they will get your heart racing and your blood boiling.
View Pictures: More All-Time Sexiest Cars

Last edited by Space; 09-25-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I'm not shocked by the number of Toyota's on the list as American Manufactured. Toyota is a huge client of ours at work, and I know they have plant all over the US for manufacturing.

As for the Malibu, I LOVE the new styling of the 2013 Malibu. It's a freakin nice IMO. Considering the 27K is for the Turbo, I don't think it's a terrible price...The everyday Malibu's are lower.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MAMONTE
I'm not shocked by the number of Toyota's on the list as American Manufactured. Toyota is a huge client of ours at work, and I know they have plant all over the US for manufacturing.

As for the Malibu, I LOVE the new styling of the 2013 Malibu. It's a freakin nice IMO. Considering the 27K is for the Turbo, I don't think it's a terrible price...The everyday Malibu's are lower.

Hi `Michael, thanks for your words and maybe GM is making cars like this for you, but for me it's still a lot of $'s.....

I do think it's amazing the power they get from a 2L Turbo

The 2.0-liter unit is the same one that can be found in the
Buick Regal turbo and makes 259 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. That's good for a top speed of 155 mph and a 0-to-60 time of 6.3 seconds. Add an EPA rating of 21 mpg in the city and 30 on the highway, and we might have a winner.<!--EndofExcerptMarker-->

The mill in the Malibu features a twin-scroll turbocharger, which helps eliminate the lag at low speeds. Along with the turbo, the four-cylinder uses an air-to-air intercooler, aluminum cylinder head and a sand-cast aluminum block that Chevrolet says reduces noise and vibration. Aluminum pistons with jet-spray cooling enhance performance, while a two-stage variable-displacemen<WBR>t oil pump helps the engine run more efficiently. A six-speed transmission sends power to the front wheels only.

The Malibu Turbo has an electric power steering unit by ZF, which Chevy says has a good on-center feel but builds up weight in the corners. Hydraulic bushings isolate the frame, and 18- or 19-inch wheels sit at the corners, shod in all-season tires.

Quick Reply: American-Made Automobiles? + Sexiest Cars of All Time + more